PDA

View Full Version : Where do you check your temp...

foxbrosbbq
08-11-2008, 12:36 PM
i see alot of pics of probes in butts, here is a diagram (really a crude drawing) of where i get the best results..

http://www.foxbrosbbq.com/butt_temp.jpg

Porky
08-11-2008, 12:43 PM
Pick a spot away from the bone and go in half way.

foxbrosbbq
08-11-2008, 12:45 PM
yea i go with that spot cause there is less fat and when that part is done you can guarentee the rest is!

fat can throw off a temp...

acorette
08-11-2008, 03:12 PM
Keep whispering to myself... Not woodpile... Not woodpile...

Jeremiah
08-11-2008, 04:28 PM
I probe several in different locations and use average temps, when I'm close given readings and/or time I'll try several spots with the (blue) thermapen.

afreemaniii
08-11-2008, 05:08 PM
How about on a brisket? I recently started doing whole packers and haven't quite mastered the best spot. I seem to have a dry flat each time I pull it off. Do you just poke around a bit and try many different spots? Do you pull when the flat is 190 and worry about the point later once you cut it off and toss it back in for burnt ends?

JamesB
08-12-2008, 11:34 PM
I try several spots with the therma pen, but really go on several factors along with the temps... With butts, when the bone wiggles freely. with brisket, when the probe slides in and out of the flat very easily. Poultry when the legs feel loose in the joints.

OSD
08-13-2008, 06:55 AM
I try several spots with the therma pen, but really go on several factors along with the temps... With butts, when the bone wiggles freely. with brisket, when the probe slides in and out of the flat very easily. Poultry when the legs feel loose in the joints.

Same here:-D