PDA

View Full Version : Smoked Croquettes

motoeric
08-05-2008, 09:15 PM
There were two recent posts that mentioned croquettes, but more in their traditional sense. I was wondering if anyone had ever tried to make smoked croquettes?

I saw a post on another forum that looked very interesting. Little mashed potato balls with a center (blue cheese and ham or shrimp or chicken) and rolled in a covering (panko bread crumbs or sesame seeds) and then smoked.

Sounds like a great addition to ABT's, fatties and the ilk. Any thoughts?

Eric

The Pickled Pig
08-05-2008, 10:19 PM
I'm a recent fan of the potato croquettes. But one of the characteristics I like about them is the crispy outside achieved by frying them in oil. Crispy outside, gooey inside...mmm. I don't think smoking them would achieve the same texture.

How about adding a smoked meat to the inside if you're looking for smoke flavor? Smoked bacon would probably work well combined with the potatoes and cheese filling.

BTW, these thing freeze great and it's far too easy to pop 1 or 2 out of the freezer for a tasty side dish. Just remember to freeze before vac sealing them.

Jeremiah
08-05-2008, 10:26 PM
Never tried, but definitely sounds tasty. I would probably lightly coat with oil and smoke them at 400 or so to get a nice crispy crust.

Edit: replied before I refreshed and saw first response, agree on the crispy outside!

Professor Salt
08-05-2008, 10:33 PM
If you have a pot (say a dutch oven) of oil in a 400F smoker, then you can fry and smoke at the same time. The oil should pick up the smoke flavor the longer it stays in there.

While you're at it, might as well try some fried chicken too.

Of course, this is thinking out loud. I've never tried it so I'm only guessing. Let us know if you try it.

boatnut
08-06-2008, 06:17 AM
stick to frying 'em if you want a nice crunchy exterior. definetly go panko though :)