PDA

View Full Version : Boneless Chuck Ribs?? HELP !!

Meat Burner
07-27-2008, 11:31 AM
Wifey wanted beef tonight on the Weber and picked this up at Wally World.
About 2# of boneless beef country style ribs is what the label says. Would you think indirect like doing a tri-tip would work okay? Thanks for the help!!!

BBQ Grail
07-27-2008, 11:34 AM
I cut my tri-tips that way some times and just grill direct!

EDIT: Salt, pepper only. Then baste with a mixture of A1 Sauce and melted butter (50/50). (Watch the flare ups)

Mad Max
07-27-2008, 11:43 AM
I have also done this directly on the grill. They are rather quickly. I seasoned them with salt, freshly ground black pepper and a little garlic powder. Good luck.

Meat Burner
07-27-2008, 11:54 AM
Sounds like a good plan. Thanks for the advise.

HolySmoke
07-27-2008, 08:29 PM
well, how'd they go?

Bigdog
07-27-2008, 09:51 PM
I cook these bad boys all the time. My favorite way is to rub them done, wrap in bacon, and then smoke for about 4 hrs. at 225.

The other way we like them is to marinate them for about 1 hr. in Dales and then smoke.

keale
07-28-2008, 02:20 AM
what they said...those are great cheap steaks... they use to be anyway, they started out at my costco 2.99, now as a lot was sold... its 4.99 a lb...
still a good deal, but supply and demand...

Meat Burner
07-28-2008, 10:00 AM
Turned out not so good. Would be better to have slow cooked I think. The cuts looked good on the outside of the package but were not tender cuts when grilled. Taste was good with a light coating of salt and pepper and a touch of garlic. Prolly just me.

jiarby
07-28-2008, 10:12 AM
That's what I was expecting... same as country style pork ribs (just a shoulder cut into pieces) this is just a chuck roast cut into strips. Butchers often charge a premium when they use the "ribs" tag. $4.38/lb for chuck roast cut into strips...Next time buy a $3/lb chuck roast and cut your own!

You still have to cook it like chuck. Low & Slow, or braised. Maybe crock pot roast (but in strips?) Maybe pounded thin and chicken fried steak fingers? Would have made good stew if you cubed the pieces.

jazzspot
07-28-2008, 03:47 PM
I did these boneless chuck beef ribs a few weeks ago low and slow. Turned out just great... tender and moist. Family and friends loved them. I bought them at Costco. I'll be doing some more on my next smoke.

http://i25.tinypic.com/25gxve1.jpg

keale
07-28-2008, 05:43 PM
hey Meat, now that I think about it, mine was called boneless chuck beef short ribs...
I just put "carne asada" seasoning, cooked to medium rare, on the grill, came out very good...
I wonder if its a different cut? looks the same...

Meat Burner
07-28-2008, 06:01 PM
Roy, it must have been cut different. They looked really good with nice marble but just were not tender at all. Like jiarby said, should just by a chucky and cut it at home. There was a lot of hard fat on some of the strips you couldn't see in the package. Kinda like the hard fat on a brisket. Yuk!