PDA

View Full Version : Recipe for Steamship round on spit

Bill Jindra
07-26-2008, 01:41 PM
Hi all,
First time posting. I'm looking for some good recipes for a Steamship round. We are grilling a 55 lb. round next weekend on a spit.:smile:

BBQ Grail
07-26-2008, 01:53 PM
Hi all,
First time posting. I'm looking for some good recipes for a Steamship round. We are grilling a 55 lb. round next weekend on a spit.:smile:

Hello Bill,

First the mods will move this to where it should have posted for your best reponse. (Q-Talk)

Second, Welcome! And would you mind stopping into "Cattle Call" and introducing yourself to everyone.

Thanks.

Wayne
07-26-2008, 03:19 PM
I have only helped with these but here goes. You will probably not be able to cook the whole thing through to an equal doneness on a spit, so don't even try. My method is to slice the beef off of the roast over the fire as it gets done. That way you will expose the less cooked meat to the fire to finish off. Simply slice it till you get to rare and stop while it cooks more. Kind of like those Greek chefs slice meat off of the gyro roast. I would only season the thing with garlic, salt and pepper; but you could also inject the meat with broth and seasonings to your liking. A big foil tent over the top will help hold in the heat and provide a little smoke flavor. Add a drip pan for the juice that can be used as a baste or poured over the meat as it is served. I have also done this method on whole lambs with some Greek friends and it turns out great.

Having said that, I have to add that if it were me I would forget the grill and put that puppy in a big smoker and cook it LOW and SLOW with a foil wrap when the edges are well done. The foil will keep the edges from drying out. Dry beef is only good in thick gravy. If it gets done through I would put it in a cooler to finish off and stay hot till party time. When the party starts I would stick the thing on a rotisserie and rotate it over a fire while it is being served. The fire will keep it warm while it is served which is very important. You do not want the fat to cool off and turn into a white greasy fat puddle around the roast.

parrothead
07-26-2008, 05:29 PM
I moved it here for better responses. Looks good so far, and there will be more I am sure.

1_T_Scot
07-26-2008, 08:33 PM
Over charcoal? On a big grill or open pit?

Don't forget to post some pictures. Sorry I have never done one.

Bill Jindra
07-27-2008, 10:02 AM
Over a pit on a rotisserine. My father in-law made a home made stand. He hasn't done it for years and now he wants to fire the pit up and cook for 60 people. Would like to use the smoker... but I have to try his stand at least once before I make a real jugement.