PDA

View Full Version : Hickory suppliers in Tucson

TexasGuppie
07-19-2008, 11:48 AM
The Guppie has been relocated to the sunny climes of southern Arizona (Tucson.) I brought all of the hickory I had from Texas and a quick walk through the Yellow Pages reveals NO HICKORY suppliers in Arizona.

Any local Brethren information on the secret stashes of hickory in my new berg would be appreciated.

Mesquite on the other hand is EVERYWHERE.

-The Gup

thillin
07-19-2008, 12:04 PM
The Guppie has been relocated to the sunny climes of southern Arizona (Tucson.)

Hope you wanted the move. Hate to see someone leave TX behind.

Midnight Smoke
07-19-2008, 12:08 PM
Hey Gup, welcome to the desert. Could you have picked a worse time to come here with all the humidity.

BBQ Galore should have Hickory and Home Depot has it at times. I don't like to buy off the rack but that is about it.

Now if you would like Pecan go about 20 miles south to Green Valley AZ there are orchards all over.

toys4dlr
07-19-2008, 12:18 PM
It is not exactly Tucson, but if you make the trip up to the Valley (Phoenix) Berry Bros Out on Washington and the 202 have an excellent supply of smoking woods. Thomas Berry is very knowledgable, helpful and really supports the BBQ guys. Mention you heard about him from AZbarbeque.com and he will give you a discount. Everytime I go, I get a great deal on what I want then he will just give me sample splits of something he is really excited about. White Oak, Olive Wood, who knows.

You can pick up a small bag (About 40 -50 lbs) for around 10 - 30 bucks (Depending on the wood). If you want something specific up to a truck load or more, no problem. I use first size chunks in my cookers, so a bag last a long time, I take the splits and cut them down. Right now I really like Pistachio wood.

Oh Yeah, welcome to AZ I hope to see you at some of the comps coming up in August, October and November.

David

Vince RnQ
07-19-2008, 01:18 PM
Dave, Thomas rarely, if ever, has hickory in stock. He's a much bigger fan of pecan which is actually domesticated hickory. Similar flavor but much more mild.

That having been said, Berry Bros. is clearly the best place in Phoenix to shop for cooking hardwood as well as firewood. I currently have the following in my wood pile, all from Berry Bros.:

Grape
Alder
Olive
Pistachio
Pecan
Apple
Cherry
White Oak
Red Oak

Now if only the guy who comes by and does yardwork hadn't mixed them all together...

toys4dlr
07-19-2008, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the help Vince, I have not picked up and hickory, so my bad.

Now I can't help but laugh at the comment about mixing up the wood. I have Misc pieces in the bins in the Garage that I have no idea what they are. :-D

We (Read Karyn) was cleaning up the space and just threw it in one bin. I was a little unsure of the sample peices when I left Berry Bros, no I have no idea.

SmokeWatcher
07-19-2008, 04:49 PM
Yep.....Berry Brothers for me too!
http://www.bbfw.com/

jiarby
07-19-2008, 05:13 PM
At the end of this PDF file (pg 9 & 10) from the AZBBQA August 2003 Newsletter is a listing of AZ firewood suppliers. It is now 5 yrs old, but there were 5-6 Tucson suppliers.

Berry Bros IS NOT the only wood supplier in the state and great prices can be had by calling around.

http://www.azbbqa.com/docs/pdf2003/azheat_august03.pdf

Vince RnQ
07-19-2008, 11:30 PM
Berry Bros IS NOT the only wood supplier in the state and great prices can be had by calling around.

Nope, they're sure not...but I've never heard anyone say much about any other company.

The nice thing about Berry Bros. is that Thomas has a lot of passion for barbequeing & grilling and I think he enjoys helping to keep many of us stocked up with a wide variety of hardwoods.

See you in Payson!