PDA

View Full Version : A Spicewine Perspective

BBQchef33
07-16-2008, 11:22 PM
Felt like cooking today so at around 1:30 I dumped a full chimney of K in the Spicewine. Head to the fridge and freezer.. nothing but a couple Kielbasas. I drop a small split of cherry on the fire.

Roll the pit out form under its tent.... its sitting out in the sun now... Nutemp on top of the spicebox says 94.

At 2:15 the pit is up to 275..... but empty.. along the lines of the other thread running.. we have an empty pit and the yard smells great. :eusa_clap:cool:

Set stoker to 275.

Its 315.. Pit is at 275. Still empty.... I put in a couple kielbasa and run to the market, grab some chicken and steaks run home.. .. throw them in a marinade real quick.

Its 4:00.. Pit is at 275. Pull kielbasa... Figure i will load them bird into the pit in 20-30 minutes. I jump in the wifes car to drop it off at pep boys for a charging system check and run home.. figure thats about 20-30 minutes. Just enuf time to marinade stuff..

Things happen...and I get home at 5:30 with a new battery in the Jeep.

its 5:30... Pit is STILL at 275. 5:45 I load the chicken.

5:45 Pit is at 250 after loading it up... I bump the ash pan and add a small stick of cherry and it comes back up to 275 at 6... Set Stoker to 300 and

at 6:15 pits at 300.

I load the steaks in a cool spot to get some smoke then finish on the grill.

7:00 chicken is done, Spicebox is still at 300. Pull the steaks to finish them on the gasser..

No gas. :confused::evil:

Open the spicebox.. take the fire grate out.. still has coals.. dump the entire grate into the kettle.. throw the steak on and finish'em up with a nice char.

6.5 hours, 3 1x1x16 inch splits of cherry
ONE full packed chimney with enough punch at the end to grill a steak.

Ya thing thats efficient? :mrgreen::mrgreen::eusa_clap:eusa_clap

BBQ Grail
07-16-2008, 11:25 PM
Hello. Welcome to Q Talk. Sounds like you have some experience.

Thanks for sharing. Very innovative.

Midnight Smoke
07-16-2008, 11:34 PM
Did you use a water pan? Or some sand? No Pic's... It didn't happen...:rolleyes:

BBQchef33
07-16-2008, 11:48 PM
nope.. ran dry today. No pics. Was squeezing a cook in in between other stuff. Honestly, aside form puttin in the food... that pit ran unattended the entire time. I should have kept the graph form the stoker log.. it just dialed in..locked in, and it didnt budge.. but what impressed the hell out of james and I was the single chimney. It was a full packed chimney.. but that and a few splits was it for the fuel load. When i came back from pep boys, I was expecting it to be out, but it was still locked in, and had plenty of fuel left.

WannaBeBBQueen
07-17-2008, 06:18 AM
love that!!:biggrin:

Sledneck
07-17-2008, 07:25 AM
well its about time you learned to use that thing

Bbq Bubba
07-17-2008, 08:58 AM
It sounded like you were describing my rib cook on the drum the other day.....:biggrin:

Dustaway
07-17-2008, 10:05 AM
sounds like a rookie to me congratulations on your first cook now can your BBQ something :twisted:

Sawdustguy
07-17-2008, 11:53 AM
Felt like cooking today so at around 1:30 I dumped a full chimney of K in the Spicewine. Head to the fridge and freezer.. nothing but a couple Kielbasas. I drop a small split of cherry on the fire.

Roll the pit out form under its tent.... its sitting out in the sun now... Nutemp on top of the spicebox says 94.

At 2:15 the pit is up to 275..... but empty.. along the lines of the other thread running.. we have an empty pit and the yard smells great. :eusa_clap:cool:

Set stoker to 275.

Its 315.. Pit is at 275. Still empty.... I put in a couple kielbasa and run to the market, grab some chicken and steaks run home.. .. throw them in a marinade real quick.

Its 4:00.. Pit is at 275. Pull kielbasa... Figure i will load them bird into the pit in 20-30 minutes. I jump in the wifes car to drop it off at pep boys for a charging system check and run home.. figure thats about 20-30 minutes. Just enuf time to marinade stuff..

Things happen...and I get home at 5:30 with a new battery in the Jeep.

its 5:30... Pit is STILL at 275. 5:45 I load the chicken.

5:45 Pit is at 250 after loading it up... I bump the ash pan and add a small stick of cherry and it comes back up to 275 at 6... Set Stoker to 300 and

at 6:15 pits at 300.

I load the steaks in a cool spot to get some smoke then finish on the grill.

7:00 chicken is done, Spicebox is still at 300. Pull the steaks to finish them on the gasser..

No gas. :confused::evil:

Open the spicebox.. take the fire grate out.. still has coals.. dump the entire grate into the kettle.. throw the steak on and finish'em up with a nice char.

6.5 hours, 3 1x1x16 inch splits of cherry
ONE full packed chimney with enough punch at the end to grill a steak.

Ya thing thats efficient? :mrgreen::mrgreen::eusa_clap:eusa_clap

I told ya so. Let me put it in words you can understand....Stato là, fatto quello.:cool:

Jay does not realize how great these smokers really are!!!!!!!:cool::cool::cool:

BBQchef33
07-17-2008, 12:21 PM
sounds like a rookie to me congratulations on your first cook now can your BBQ something :twisted:

took a while to get it figured out.. but something finally worked. In my defense... read the signature...... i cycle the pits i cook on.. Backyard chef has been pit of choice this past week.. before that, it was the Bionic Bandera.. before that it was MOAB.. Spice gets fired up when I dont want to babysit the stickburners.

Most messed up is, it was some analysis by Mineola Fred, whos not even a member... (but pitkeeper for Willie B's team) to get my wheels turning. i was having trouble getting temps up at yardly... Fred walked over, never cooking on a spicewine before and played with it for about an hour. And locked the thing in. Guess all it takes is patience.. which I lack. :redface:

pigmaker23
07-17-2008, 02:20 PM
it will nice that you can cook on that pit in Sayville, instead of the JACK ! Lol now you can leave on Saturday Night an go to dinner with us at Lafamila !

took a while to get it figured out.. but something finally worked. In my defense... read the signature...... i cycle the pits i cook on.. Backyard chef has been pit of choice this past week.. before that, it was the Bionic Bandera.. before that it was MOAB.. Spice gets fired up when I dont want to babysit the stickburners.

Most messed up is, it was some analysis by Mineola Fred, whos not even a member... (but pitkeeper for Willie B's team) to get my wheels turning. i was having trouble getting temps up at yardly... Fred walked over, never cooking on a spicewine before and played with it for about an hour. And locked the thing in. Guess all it takes is patience.. which I lack. :redface:

spicewine
07-17-2008, 05:19 PM
I think Cracker and I are gonna steal his Spicewine to cook the Sayville Contest. If not, we will find another SW to cook on.

BBQ Bandit
07-17-2008, 06:12 PM
I think Cracker and I are gonna steal his Spicewine to cook the Sayville Contest. If not, we will find another SW to cook on.

Wait a sec... Are you trying to tell us farkers YOU can't find a SW? :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

spicewine
07-18-2008, 07:48 AM
It's a little hard to get one into the overhead storage compartment on the plane.:wink:

HoDeDo
07-18-2008, 09:32 AM
It's a little hard to get one into the overhead storage compartment on the plane.:wink:
It's only $15 to check it.... Just use the sky cap ya cheapo:rolleyes:

Next you are gonna say it won't fit in a travel duffle either, geesh....

Bigdog
07-18-2008, 11:18 AM
It's only $15 to check it.... Just use the sky cap ya cheapo:rolleyes:

Next you are gonna say it won't fit in a travel duffle either, geesh....

That would have to be some duffle bag.

Cabntmkr1
07-18-2008, 11:30 AM
Gotta get me one of them Spicewines one day...:twisted: