PDA

View Full Version : Converting a "Holland type" grill to charcoal

Rooster
07-07-2008, 12:04 PM
Hey Guys/Gals, I've gotten the best out of my gas grill and am looking to convert it to charcoal/wood burning. It is a Holland style gas grill called Grill-n-Roast. It was sold by Lowes about 10 years ago. Should I just gut it and buy/make a grate for the bottom to hold charcoal or should I add a firebox on the side? I'm leaning towards adding a firebox to the side so I can make it into an indirect smoker, but am looking for pros/cons of both. Has anyone else tried this and if so do you have pics so I will have some sort of reference? :confused: I can post pics of what I have if it would be helpful for ideas.

I just saw on Lowes website that they sell a firebox for one of their drum grills. I think it could be an easy mod.

smokinbadger
07-07-2008, 02:17 PM
Rooster,

I think your best bet if you are going to do a conversion is to go with the "direct" type. Most gas grills have a lot of venting, meaning it would be very difficult to get good fire control for low and slow. If you post a picture of the grill you are going to convert, you will probably get some more (maybe even better) input.

Scrooge Fan
07-07-2008, 02:33 PM
In my humble opinion you would be better off junking the gasser and building a UDS. My guess is that you wouldn't spend any more money and you'd end up with a better and more efficient cooker. Mounting a firebox on the side would probably throw the unit off-balance and the modifications could be trickey to get an airtight fit.