PDA

View Full Version : Possible UDS Barrel

BigdogKC
06-26-2008, 09:17 PM
I got a barrel for my brother-in-law, but I am not sure if it is ok to build into a smoker. It had an auto cleaner in it called Magic Dressing. It says harmful if swallowed, but I would think it would burn right out. What do you all think?

N8man
06-26-2008, 09:21 PM
Better to be Safe than Sorry....I'd Keep Looking for a Clean, FoodGrade Drum.

TexaQ
06-26-2008, 09:43 PM
How well do you like your BIL? Food grade or food containing for sure.

Mattzilla
06-26-2008, 09:57 PM
not worth the risk

txschutte
06-26-2008, 10:01 PM
see above.

BigdogKC
06-26-2008, 10:03 PM
These were not the answers I thought I was going to get. I thought it would be an easy burn and wash and I'd be good to go. Is there a way to know for sure?

sfisch
06-26-2008, 10:12 PM
You could always build one and try it out on someone you really dont like. :)

Scott

Meat Burner
06-26-2008, 10:14 PM
These were not the answers I thought I was going to get. I thought it would be an easy burn and wash and I'd be good to go. Is there a way to know for sure?

Nothin is for sure brother. Got to agree with the brethren and pass on this one and look further. Unsafe will only kill you one time! Just my $.02.

BigdogKC
06-26-2008, 10:18 PM
I really wish I had asked this question before I went out an spent the gas money to get these things. Plus they cost $10 a piece. My brother-in-law bought them, but still I feel bad if he can't use them. Anybody got any cool ideas for using 55 gallon Drums??

Meat Burner
06-26-2008, 10:26 PM
Neighbor Bigdog...here is a thought. Search the threads for how brethren burn out their barrels and really, really, burn it out big time maybe 3 times.. Sand the inside big time, slather with grease, and burn again. That should be safe. See what the other brethren think about this.

06-26-2008, 10:31 PM
I work for a chemical company and we deal with transportation of chemicals in "totes." I will go ahead and say that no it won't be safe. I don't know what Magic Dressing is, however I can guarantee that it is polymer/petroleum based. Bascially it's all non-organic, which means it will never break down, even if you burn it out. Only specific cleaning solvents are capable of breaking down the structure of polymer based chemicals, and not fire alone.

It's not worth the risk getting someone sick, but this is just my opinion.

bbqanthony
06-26-2008, 10:38 PM
That Magic Dressing will work its 'magic' on you....

Meat Burner
06-26-2008, 10:44 PM
I work for a chemical company and we deal with transportation of chemicals in "totes." I will go ahead and say that no it won't be safe. I don't know what Magic Dressing is, however I can guarantee that it is polymer/petroleum based. Bascially it's all non-organic, which means it will never break down, even if you burn it out. Only specific cleaning solvents are capable of breaking down the structure of polymer based chemicals, and not fire alone.

It's not worth the risk getting someone sick, but this is just my opinion.
Sounds like a better opinion than my advise and would follow it!!!!! Pass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

crome
06-26-2008, 10:50 PM
Bigdog just send them to me and i'll burn them out real good,do a study and send ya my findings :)...