PDA

View Full Version : Beef Tenderloin

AlbuQue
06-25-2008, 11:18 AM
I'm wanting to try a beef tenderloin, preferrably on my UDS. I've seen a lot of pictures from RTD's tenderloins but no how to's. Can someone help with a recipe?

Thanks

Bbq Bubba
06-25-2008, 12:20 PM
Rub with oil, salt n pepper, garlic n onion powder, smoke at 250 till internal is 125, rest and enjoy. :biggrin:

KISS

AlbuQue
06-25-2008, 01:58 PM
Rub with oil, salt n pepper, garlic n onion powder, smoke at 250 till internal is 125, rest and enjoy. :biggrin:

KISS

Thanks Bubba!

Bigmista
06-25-2008, 02:46 PM
I would think that smoking it would leave it too tough. Some meat just sings out for a grill. Just my woefully underinformed opinion because I can't afford enough tenderloin to experiment. Look for a Chateaubriand recipe.

Big George's BBQ
06-25-2008, 02:51 PM
I agree with Bigmista. I would try a less pricey cut of meat like an eye roast first. Tenderloin would be an expensive mistake. I have had awesome whole tenderloins cooked indirectly on the grill.

AlbuQue
06-25-2008, 03:57 PM
If it would work better with grilling, I'm game for that. Anyone have any success stories grilling them? Rick's Tropical are you around?

Ford
06-25-2008, 07:22 PM

KISS

Have you been spying on me and taking ntoes? I smoke it at about 225-230 and pull at 122 internal and tent foil for 20 minutes. And use BBQ rub with lots of cracked black pepper - Dizzy Pig Cowlick or Slabs Beef are great.

I would think that smoking it would leave it too tough. Some meat just sings out for a grill. Just my woefully underinformed opinion because I can't afford enough tenderloin to experiment. Look for a Chateaubriand recipe.

Well I know people who say you can eat my smoked tenderloin with a fork and it melts in your mouth. Never had a single person say it was tough except when I did a poor trimming job and then it was just the connective tissue not the meat. And I've served hundreds of people beef tenderloin for breakfast at contests.

Anybody going to Goshen? Maybe have one at Kettering and for sure at Grand Rapids. Talk with me on the Friday about a breakfast invite.

Spydermike72
06-25-2008, 07:25 PM
I can vouch for Ford, that is the best tenderloin I have ever had!!

Bbq Bubba
06-25-2008, 08:10 PM
Have you been spying on me and taking ntoes? I smoke it at about 225-230 and pull at 122 internal and tent foil for 20 minutes. And use BBQ rub with lots of cracked black pepper - Dizzy Pig Cowlick or Slabs Beef are great.

Well, actually i was thinking of yours, minus the Cowlick......:cool:

Cuts and eats like butter, no toughness at all!!

keend
06-25-2008, 08:41 PM
This is my favorite tenderloin recipe and it always gets great reviews with guest.

It's even better with venison!

Drunk and Dirty Tenderloin

1 cup soy sauce
½ cup bourbon
1/4 cup Worcestershire
2 lb. beef tenderloin
2 Tbsp. course-ground black pepper
1 tsp. White pepper
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
½ tsp. Ground ginger
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup oil, preferably canola or corn
1/4 cup water

At least 4 hours, and up to 12 hours, before you plan to barbecue, combine all ingredients except oil and water, in a lidded jar. Place the tenderloin in a plastic bag or shallow dish and pour marinade over the meat. Turn the meat occasionally if needed to saturate the surface with the marinade.

Remove the tenderloin from the refrigerator and drain the marinade, reserving it. Cover the tenderloin thoroughly with black pepper first, then the white pepper. Let the tenderloin sit for 30 minutes.

Pour half the marinade into a saucepan and refrigerate it until the tenderloin is cooked. Pour the other half of the marinade into another saucepan and stir in oil and water. Bring the mop mixture to a boil over high heat and boil for several minutes. Keep the mop warm over low heat.

In a skillet sear the meat quickly on all sides over high heat. Transfer the tenderloin to the grill, mopping every 20 minutes, until rare to med. rare.

Bring the reserved portion of marinade to a boil, and boil for several minutes, until the marinade is reduced by one-fourth. Slice the tenderloin and serve topped by spoonfuls of the sauce.

MostlySmoke
06-26-2008, 05:43 AM
Grill it to medium rare; internal temps about 140. Dosent get ant better!!

Rick's Tropical Delight
06-26-2008, 06:42 AM
i usually sear at 700, dome open for 2 minutes a side. pull and rest covered for 20 minutes while the egg comes down to 350-400, then roast, dome closed for about 10 minutes a side.

anyway you cook it, pull at 125-130 internal because you can never go back to rare.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/RicksTropicalDelight/biggreenegg/beef/beeftender-060.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/RicksTropicalDelight/biggreenegg/beef/vinnysbeeftenderloin-032.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/RicksTropicalDelight/biggreenegg/beef/vinnysbeeftenderloin-029.jpg

heat your platter in a 400 degree oven and place the slices on it to finish them off. the juice will rise to the surface and the beef will magically disappear

Rooster
06-26-2008, 07:51 AM
That is heaven on a platter right there!!

cigarnv
06-26-2008, 07:58 AM
Some fantastic recommendations... making me hungry!!

The only thing I would add is to be very careful about tghe amount of wood you use... if any. I find these tender cuts really absorb the smoke and are easily over smoked.

Porky
06-26-2008, 08:49 AM
Drool on keyboard mod. Thanks for the great pictures.

OSD
06-26-2008, 09:37 AM
Greta pics!! I'm hungry now!

ams14
06-26-2008, 09:46 AM
Now that is some good looking meat. I may have to try one of those soon.

I would vote for rotisserie, that's how I do large pieces of meat (sirloin and ribeye).

Rick's Tropical Delight
06-26-2008, 10:31 AM
you really don't have to do the sear at the beginning... just watch the internal temp

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/RicksTropicalDelight/biggreenegg/beef/vinnysbeeftender-002.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/RicksTropicalDelight/biggreenegg/beef/beeftender-032.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/RicksTropicalDelight/biggreenegg/beef/vinnysbeeftenderloin-024.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/RicksTropicalDelight/biggreenegg/beef/vinnysbeeftenderloin-034.jpg

serve with a nice horseradish sauce

Big George's BBQ
06-26-2008, 11:46 AM
Rick that looks mazing. I have used a trimed tenderloin and requested all the fat from it. I then put the tenderloin on my Weber using indirect heat and put the fat on top of it. The fat melted into the meat. It was the best I have ever done. There was no meat left

BBQchef33
06-26-2008, 12:40 PM
I start them in a 400+ pit, in a hotspot and damper down to let temps drop. Pull them off at 120-125 and rest. They are done just as the pits coming into 250 zone.

gotta have Bearnaise sauce with it though. :)

AlbuQue
06-26-2008, 02:48 PM
Man-O-man! Thanks everybody for the suggestions. I think I'm ready!

DavidEHickey
06-26-2008, 03:02 PM
Geez Rick, that looks DANG GOOD! I just realized your only 20 minutes or so away from Dayton. Next time you throw one on let me know! Farmersville isn't that big, No way you could hide a collection of eggs like that, I'll just go to the center of town and look for the smoke!
David

BluesDaddy
04-21-2010, 09:41 AM
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but my local Kroger's had a steal on whole tenderloins so I picked one up and, of course, turned to here to find some suggestions on how to cook. I already determined to cut some into steaks because my wife loves tenderloin steaks and I can cook steaks pretty well. I also got a decent sized roast from it (not cooked yet) but wondered what to do with the side muscle. That's when I jumped on here and came across the Drunk & Dirty sauce. I decided to cut the muscle up into chunks and skewer them with pieces of red onion in between. So I marinated the tenderloin chunks in the Drunk & Dirty sauce first, put together the skewers and then brushed it on every so often while cooking direct over the coals. The flavor was fabulous and just wanted to give a "shout out". My wife said the steak was better than the filet she got at Ruth's Chris last year for our anniversary!! Talk about justifying the money and time put into BBQ!!

dannypat21
04-21-2010, 10:06 AM
This thread is tenderloin heaven....