PDA

View Full Version : **Caterers** Anyone use SYSCO for your meats?

swamprb
05-23-2008, 08:10 PM
I'm cooking Q' for my sons fraternity party next Friday, meats for @120-130 people. In the past they hired their cook to handle everything, this year she is taking care of salads, sides and fruits.

The cook gets everything from SYSCO and said she could order everything I needed to cook. I checked their site and it looks like most everything is frozen? Anyone use SYSCO for their meats? I'm unfamilliar with some of the products. The kids want to save some money (more for booze I suspect?) but I want to be in control of what I'm cooking and not looking for any surprises like the Iron Chef!

I'm doing Pulled pork for sammies, Chicken thighs, party wings and Shrimp skewers. Informal grazing. I'm thinking 50 lbs of butts, 20 lbs of thighs, 20lbs of wings and 10 lbs of Shrimp uncooked weight. Sound OK? Any suggestions?

Hacksaw
05-23-2008, 08:33 PM
Sysco is the meat supplier for many of the school districts in my area(along with other kitchen supplies) for the most part they aren't bad-not great but not bad.My mother used to work for the district so she would buy meat for us at home I remember in particular some 5 oz sirloins( she bought like 4 cases for $100) so we ate pretty well that summer :)

Meat Burner
05-23-2008, 11:06 PM
Brian, we did about 40 lbs of spares from Sysco a month ago. The were pretty good. Our problem was all cases were frozen and it takes a chit load of time to thaw them. Get there thawing instructions if they are frozen. Cutting all those bad boys to St Louis style was a real chore as well. Good luck with feeding those hungry kids!!!