PDA

View Full Version : Enough!

Jorge
05-20-2008, 02:08 PM
I got back home Sunday afternoon from a trip and started prepping meat. I cooked over 60 lbs of butts, 2 turkeys, 4 turkey breasts, and put a little smoke into a brisket that I cut up to make some Carne Guisada.

I'm done cooking for a day or two! The butts presented a bit of a problem with all of the grease that was pooling in the bottom of the Bandera. I ended up running to a restaurant supply house and getting a brush for a pizza oven. I swept the grease to the front of the smoke box, and used paper towels to soak it up. Every dog in the neighborhood will be in front of my house when the trash goes out on Thursday!

24 hours to cook everything and I didn't even sample. I just want a salad!

biffleg
05-20-2008, 03:42 PM
Dang Jorge ... almost sounds like an episode of Dinner Impossible! I guess you've earned a day or two off.

Jorge
05-20-2008, 03:47 PM
Dang Jorge ... almost sounds like an episode of Dinner Impossible! I guess you've earned a day or two off.

I should have mentioned that I drank a case of beer while doing it. Whether I earned it or not I've taken the day off;)

Arlin_MacRae
05-20-2008, 03:56 PM
Did you get any sleep??

Jorge
05-20-2008, 04:00 PM
24 hour cook, since all the meat wouldn't fit and even if I did wedge it in the lack of airflow would have farked up the cook. I moved the butts to the oven after they were foiled, and when the last two went in I crashed this morning.

I think I had a good time:?:

Arlin_MacRae
05-20-2008, 04:05 PM
Roger that!

HB-BBQ
05-20-2008, 04:19 PM
I should have mentioned that I drank a case of beer while doing it. Whether I earned it or not I've taken the day off;)It sounds like a good time regardless of the hard work involved. Good thing you stayed hydrated though it all :mrgreen:

Damar12
05-20-2008, 05:03 PM
You think you had a good time? I LIKE YA STYLE JORGE.

Norcoredneck
05-20-2008, 05:06 PM
At least you got some quality beer ime in there. Relax, you deserve it.

nmayeux
05-20-2008, 06:37 PM
Damn Jorge! I have a huge cook this weekend, and I was wondering if my backwards Bandera would be able to assist. I hope it all was worth it!

Westexbbq
05-20-2008, 09:44 PM
Nice going, Jorge.
So. reading the list of the cook, I finally get to the end and see some brisket, Carne Guisada.
Care to share for this clueless transplant?

wlh3
05-20-2008, 09:54 PM
Man you deserve a rest and a day off. That sounds like one tough cook. But don't worry you will be ready for the weekend:icon_bigsmil

JohnMcD348
05-23-2008, 09:16 PM
Sounds like a fun time to me.

MilitantSquatter
05-23-2008, 09:43 PM
Congrats on the cook Jorge !! I love that Guisada stuff you make.

I might have to finally make this on my own since you brought it up !!!

Nice going, Jorge.
So. reading the list of the cook, I finally get to the end and see some brisket, Carne Guisada.
Care to share for this clueless transplant?

Here you go Wes !!!

See post #4... I was fortunate enough to watch Jorge labor over a batch of his "beef stew without veggies" at a bash a few years ago.. When done, I think I had three servings with some tortillas.. Excellent stuff.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7837&highlight=carne+guisada

Westexbbq
05-23-2008, 10:00 PM
Well, gracias Vinny.
And here it is from back in the day, circa 2004....
with credit of course to Jorge,

"1 1/4 lb beef
2 1/2 T flour
1 T veg oil
1 med onion chopped
2 jalapenos minced
1 1/2 + 1/3 C beef stock
1 T tomato patse
2 t cumin
1/2 t chili powder

I usually use chuck and trim it well, then cube the meat approx. 1" and sometimes go with the grain (some of the best carne guisada I've ever been served had a little stringy quality to it so I try to replicate that some). If I can find some of that 49 cent/lb brisket I'll use that and cook it a little longer. Place the meat in an aluminum pan that has some holes punched in the bottom to let the smoke in. Leave it in just long enough to get some smoke, I usually put it in after I have some good smoke and before the smoke chamber is up to temp since I'm flavoring the meat instead of cooking it. Remove and allow to cool.

Dust meat with flour. Warm oil on high heat and then brown the meat. Add other ingredients and bring to a boil. Cover and place in 350 degree oven for approx. 2-3 hours. I'll pull it out once or twice during the last half of the cook to stir and scrape the bottom to make sure the liquid thickens up properly.

Note: I use Tone's soup base instead of beef stock. So between that, and the tomato paste I haven't found a need for salt. If you like your food a little saltier give it a taste toward the end and season accordingly.

outstanding in flour tortillas, or for stuffing peppers. Pureed and thinned with water it makes an unusual sauce for enchiladas.

Edit: I should have added that I never do less than a double recipe or more. It freezes well if you have the space."

Jorge
05-23-2008, 11:17 PM
Thanks for covering for me Vinny! It's been a long week and I missed that request!

zabor16
05-23-2008, 11:25 PM
Go get some sleep. I am going to make some of that carne guisada. Thanks for the recipe.