PDA

View Full Version : ABT Options

motoeric
05-19-2008, 11:39 AM
Hello!

Two quick questions:

What manufacturer of ABT holders do you prefer (if any and if not yourself)?

I've seen some recipes for ABT's with shrimp and other seafood. I can't eat seafood, so I need to ask others; wouldn't the jalapeņo overpower the flavor of the shrimp?

Eric

Harbormaster
05-19-2008, 12:57 PM
Hey Eric.
Believe it or not, I made my own ABT rack out of some 12 gauge copper wire and some lead free solder.
I wrapped the wire around a 1 inch PVC pipea dozen times and then cut the "coil" I made into individual rings. I used a torch and silver/tin solder to fasten them into a 4 ring x 3 ring rectangle. Solderd on some legs, and I had an ABT rack. Only thing I'm going to change is figure out a way to give myself a little space between the rings when I have them all soldered together.

As far as the stuffing, I find that once you de-vein and de-seed the peppers, and then smoke 'em they're pretty mild. I stuff mine with cheese and dried cherries and you can still taste the cherries.

Smokin Gator
05-19-2008, 01:52 PM
I've used all kinds of things along with my standard cream cheese. I have used shrimp cut into about 1/4 cubes. They break up a little in the cream cheese but you can taste them faintly.

Oh... I made me own ABT rack out of a cheapo baking sheet. Step bit made it an easy job.

Ron_L
05-19-2008, 02:02 PM
I think Harbormaster's filling of cheese and dried cherries sounds fantastic! I am going to try that soon!

Frankly, almost anything goes for ABTs. Think about flavors that go well together. Spicy, salty and sweet are great combos. Something as simple as chopped lil' smokies and cheese if a great filling. Experiment!

Smokin Mike
05-19-2008, 04:30 PM
I've used all kinds of things along with my standard cream cheese. I have used shrimp cut into about 1/4 cubes. They break up a little in the cream cheese but you can taste them faintly.

Oh... I made me own ABT rack out of a cheapo baking sheet. Step bit made it an easy job.

man what a great idea, going in the wifey's storage and going to raid it when she's asleep :twisted:

Michael
124 traeger
WSM
cheapo offset

jeffjenkins1
05-19-2008, 07:23 PM
Great question, I made some simple ABT's with creamcheese and sprinkled rub inside the peppers before filling. I don't have a rack so I cut them in half longways.

Smokey D
05-19-2008, 08:23 PM
One thing I like to do is wrap mine in prosciutto instead of bacon. It makes it a little lighter so you can eat more :)

MRI_Guy
05-19-2008, 08:52 PM
If you or someone else is really concerned about the heat of a jalapeno - you can boil them for a few minutes (until they turn a bright green) after deseeding them.

I don't know the brand (maybe the Harbormaster still has his wrapper) but I REALLY like the jalapeno rack that I gave him at Easter.

As far as stuffing - my wife likes cream cheese, parm cheese & sausage. One combo that we didn't care for so much was cheddar & bacon. Those were just a bit greasy.

OSD
05-19-2008, 10:00 PM
I made my own racks.:-D As for as stuffing, the sky's the limit.:-D Most everything will work. Be creative, it's fun and you get to eat the mistakes.:cool:

BBQ Grail
05-19-2008, 10:16 PM
Don't use a rack.

Most popular ABT recipe around my house is:

Jalapeno's cut in half, deveined and deseeded.
Soak Jalapenos in Sprite for 24 hours. (takes the heat out)

Fill with cream cheese, sprinkle with Plowboys Yardbird Rub, top with "little smokie" and then wrap with bacon.

thirdeye
05-19-2008, 11:41 PM
The racks for upright ABT's are getting cheaper all the time. Look at WallyWorld or any sporting goods store with a cooking section. For a quickie rack, use deep dish aluminum pans. Turn over and cut X's in the bottom in rows. Poke them in with your fingers a little and they will accept a stuffed pepper just fine. I run a toothpick through the pepper just in case one slips as they cook. I also prick the bottom so some liquid can run out if needed.

I'm partial to rolling my own and cooking them on a grate.

Bearbonez
05-20-2008, 12:39 AM
Hello!

Two quick questions:

What manufacturer of ABT holders do you prefer (if any and if not yourself)?

I've seen some recipes for ABT's with shrimp and other seafood. I can't eat seafood, so I need to ask others; wouldn't the jalapeņo overpower the flavor of the shrimp?

Eric

I use $6 kabob sets (skewers and holder) that will hold 42 ABT's. I do crab and pineapple, chorizo/ cilanto/lime/queso fresco, brats and cheddar, italian sausage/sun dried tomato/mozzerella, gyro/feta/kalamata....whatever crazy recipe forms in my brain...the flavor combos for ABT's are endless. Never had a problem with the chiles overpowering the filling.
Also reindeer turds (invention by a genius by the handle of Bad Santa) is a thin medallion of beef with a slice of jalepeno and longhorn cheese wrapped with bacon and sprinkled with rub is brilliant. I have also run the gamit with alternate fillings for this as well.....you think ABT's are addicting??? try it!

fnnm358
05-20-2008, 04:53 AM
I dont use a rack just cut the pepers length wise, clean out the peppers and stuff then wrap in bacon,

A recipe we like is taking sausage and cooking it till done then mix it in some cream cheese and add some salsa then stuff in the Jap wrap in baccon and about 1.5 hours later you are eating good

cmcadams
05-20-2008, 06:04 AM
The official chile grills like that have at irondesert.com are really great to use, though. They spread the peppers out a bit, they're heavy gauge, and they have handles to get them on and off while wearing gloves.

My, ahem, winning ABTs were made with Fresno peppers. The secret to the heat is to scrape the veins out of the inside. I use a zucchini seeding tool to do this, and it works great.

In the Fresno peppers, I rolled proscuitto, basil, sundried tomato and asiago cheese. They were good stuff!

schellter
09-24-2009, 05:51 PM
A guy at the SoCal EggFest last Sat was stuffing his jalapenos with chocolate chip cookie dough. It tastes better than it sounds.

smokestack willie
09-24-2009, 06:07 PM
If you like yardbird grill you up some chicken breast, get your japs cut the way you like 'em, cut the breast up into little 1/2" x 1 1/2" pieces depending on the length of the pepper. Fill the bottom with seasoned cream cheese, throw a piece of chicken in there, wrap that puppy up with bacon cook til desired,THEN dip into a very light sauce. Pretty good eats there.:icon_bigsmil

blues_n_cues
09-24-2009, 06:46 PM
i just cut the peppers boat style. my filling is cream cheese,bacon,crumbled fatty,salt, pepper,comino(cumin),celery salt,garlic,& paprika.lay a strip of bacon on it & do it on a nonstick pizza perforated pan

smokestack willie
09-24-2009, 06:53 PM
i just cut the peppers boat style. my filling is cream cheese,bacon,crumbled fatty,salt, pepper,comino(cumin),celery salt,garlic,& paprika.lay a strip of bacon on it & do it on a nonstick pizza perforated pan

Well, that's not how you do it............Hahahaha j/k. That's the norm around here minus the fatty and celery salt.Good stuff :biggrin:

blues_n_cues
09-24-2009, 06:57 PM
Well, that's not how you do it............Hahahaha j/k. That's the norm around here minus the fatty and celery salt.Good stuff :biggrin:

yeah well i have the copyright & TM ... i leave the "tails" on- they're called field mice.. depending on if i have anaheim- they're neutra rat apps...:twisted:
lmfao

blues_n_cues
09-24-2009, 07:00 PM
oops.. my bad. i read the title as 'abt options", not - newbie w/ matches telling me how it's done......:twisted:

i mean this all in fun not a flame or anything else...

smokestack willie
09-24-2009, 07:08 PM
oops.. my bad. i read the title as 'abt options", not - newbie w/ matches telling me how it's done......:twisted:

i mean this all in fun not a flame or anything else...

Exactly! all in fun:eusa_clap. Newbie with matches on the forum but not newbie to cookin:wink:. Now back to business:-D

GreasePig
09-24-2009, 07:19 PM
I like to mix a little left over shredded beercan chicken with cream cheese and sharp cheddar and sprinkle it with yardbird rub and wrap it in bacon.

I have a vertical rack I use sometimes but honestly I prefer to cut the peppers in half and scoop out the veins and make boats.

The peppers are alot milder that way since you can get the veins and you are only stuffing half a pepper each instead of a whole one. Keeps the people who prefer a little less heat happier.

pahutchens
11-23-2009, 12:15 PM
Great ideas I'm making my first ABT's for an appa-teaser on T day

early mornin' smokin'
11-23-2009, 12:26 PM
i recommend a melon baller to get rid of the guts from the peppers, wear gloves and dont touch your eyes or face or nether regions for that matter til you washed ur hands thoroughly!!

armor
12-09-2009, 06:23 AM
Anyone ever try slivers of a granny smith apple, extra sharp cheddar and a little cinnamon? I read that somewhere. I just wonder how it tastes. I may give it a go this weekend.

Diva Q
12-09-2009, 06:28 AM
I use a tomato corer to take out seeds and veins. The little edges on the corer does a good job of scraping them. I soak them in water first for only a few minutes nd place them cut side down on some paper towels. I do them boat style. I would put just about anything in an ABT. ITs a good way to get rid of those little bits of fridge and BBQ leftovers.

3 Rivers BBQ
12-09-2009, 08:24 AM
Tried a Turkey Club ABT with some leftover from Thanksgiving. Used swiss cheese, Djion Mustard, Turkey and wrapped with pepper bacon...BTW boat style. The swiss melt was very messy...but the flavor profile was great. Think I will place the cheese on the last 30 minutes next time.

Smokin Turkey
12-09-2009, 09:57 AM
I like abt's and all but why not just replace the pepper with a halved pickle soaked in apple juice and stuff it, wrap it in bacon? now that sounds good to me!

:rolleyes:

Ford
12-09-2009, 10:10 AM
I like a sliver of Hab on top of the cheese and under the meat (usually traditional pork). Wrap in bacon, skewer or toothpick and sprinkle with rub. I take out the seeds but obviously not because of the heat.

Or cut the top off a Hab and scoop out the seeds, stuff with cream cheese and pork on top and wrap in bacon, add rub and skewer. It may taste a little hot going down but it feels a lot hotter later:icon_devil:icon_devil

TrustTheDust
12-09-2009, 03:49 PM
This is a fantastic think tank thread, never would have come up with all these amazing ideas.

chambersuac
12-10-2009, 12:36 PM
I use a rack shaped like the state of TX. I think I got it at Barbeques Galore in San Antonio.

For ABTs, I use part cream cheese, part shredded cheese (I try to use Mexican blend). If I have pulled pork in the fridge, I dice some of it up, too and add. Another favorite is to dice tomatoes, onion, cilantro and add to the cheese mix.

MemphisQ
12-10-2009, 03:55 PM
My first ABT was my new company: Adaptive Business Tools. One of our products: Custom Software Applications.

I've read about ABT's here enough, so I will have to try them. Sounds like a good "Business Mascot App". App is for appetizer. lol

.............. maybe I need to just go cook something.

n2dabluebbq
12-10-2009, 04:52 PM
this is what i use....

http://s801.photobucket.com/albums/yy291/n2dabluebbq/?action=view&current=Chile-Grill-Texas-Longhorn-20-lg.jpg
http://s801.photobucket.com/albums/yy291/n2dabluebbq/?action=view&current=Chile-Grill-Texas-Longhorn-20-lg.jpg

as far as what goes in the peppers.. well there has been a wide variety of ingredients. i had a ten year old girl get me to put in peanut butter and jelly in some. she loved them. me? i couldn't bring myself to go down that road. hahaha