PDA

View Full Version : Spicewine Question...

thunter
05-10-2008, 04:49 AM
My next smoker is definitely a SW Medium. My question is this... Do any of you SW owners use water or something in the water pan? Please explain why or why not. Thanks brethren!

Smokin Gator
05-10-2008, 07:05 AM
I have run mine dry, with water, and yesterday I ran it with river rock in the pan as suggested by Thom. I am not sure which I like best but the cooker does great no matter which way you go.

gotwood
05-10-2008, 07:38 AM
My next smoker is definitely a SW Medium. My question is this... Do any of you SW owners use water or something in the water pan? Please explain why or why not. Thanks brethren!
since I bought my DigiQII I stopped using water in the pan.....I probably am going to start to use sand or some type of rock though in its place. Even though this will create longer start times for temp.

ThomEmery
05-10-2008, 08:47 AM
It can be run many ways
Water as a heat sink is one
or Rocks
To go with the water pan dry
I would think you would need the
Guru for temp control
We did one dry cook without Guru
and nocharcoal basket Wont do that again
very difficult to control
We ended up adding water

chinesebob
05-10-2008, 08:55 AM
They are designed to be run with water. For moisture and temp control, the water is the way to go. I would think Sand and Rocks would be horrible to clean up, but it will depend on how much you cook on it.

I've had my new large for two months and this is the first week I've given it a break - I will say water cleans up pretty easily. Running dry can result in a lot of grease that just ends up cooking everything faster.

ThomEmery
05-10-2008, 09:33 AM
Bob there is no grease in the pan
I put in a auto oil Drip pan (foiled)
just above the water pan
and a full cater pan sitting on it
No grease clean up

Keller Steeler
05-10-2008, 09:48 AM
I have a cooked with water and without and with the DigiQ II and without. I like using water -I like the product it produces better. Thom likes the product without water better. I don't think either of us is wrong (well at least I know I am not:mrgreen:), so I think it will come down to your personal choice.

On a side note - I have smokin cracker's custom intakes on my large. I used them without a DigiQ last weekend and my SW held temp like a champ - it kind of reminded me of my Stumps with how the temp just sat and sat and sat - did not have to move them at all once I got her locked in. I highly recommend you get one when you get you medium.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b225/BrianBBQ/Intakes/Intakes003.jpg

ThomEmery
05-10-2008, 09:57 AM
LOL Keller I just like the bark on the waterless cook better

MilitantSquatter
05-10-2008, 04:08 PM
I used water early on with my medium spicebox but was not a huge fan of the huge amount of white steam coming out of the stack. I was also not a fan of the clean up process and the time it took to bring it up to temp.

I switched to waterless cooks and have been very satisfied with performance, cleanup etc. Now, I just line the water pan with a layer of aluminum foil and them put a full foil tray in there with a drop of water to catch any drippings. I now use a Guru DigiQ with a WSM charcoal basket as well but was able to maintain temps pretty well before using only lit coals without water when I first started on it.

I don't think one way is better than another but more a matter of personal preference. Even when I had my WSM's I used very little water.

Keller Steeler
05-10-2008, 04:35 PM
I used water early on with my medium spicebox but was not a huge fan of the huge amount of white steam coming out of the stack. I was also not a fan of the clean up process and the time it took to bring it up to temp.

I switched to waterless cooks and have been very satisfied with performance, cleanup etc. Now, I just line the water pan with a layer of aluminum foil and them put a full foil tray in there with a drop of water to catch any drippings. I now use a Guru DigiQ with a WSM charcoal basket as well but was able to maintain temps pretty well before using only lit coals without water when I first started on it.

I don't think one way is better than another but more a matter of personal preference. Even when I had my WSM's I used very little water.

I think you are right on with it being a personal preference - there are so many ways to use it.

I did not use water with my WSM, but I do with the SW. I might try another dry cook next weekend.......

spicewine
05-10-2008, 08:14 PM
I caution you that if you use the cooker in anyway other way than it was designed, I can't help you when it catches on fire.

You use these modifications at your own risks. It is called a " Water Pan " for a reason,

Spice

hrchdog
05-10-2008, 08:23 PM
Tony you got that spicewine ordered? You can cater bigger parties and make more money with a bigger cooker.

ThomEmery
05-10-2008, 08:43 PM
I caution you that if you use the cooker in anyway other way than it was designed, I can't help you when it catches on fire.

You use these modifications at your own risks. It is called a " Water Pan " for a reason,

Spice

What would that be Jay? :)

Dale P
05-10-2008, 10:15 PM
I use water and like the results but I do not use a full pan. I add some if temps get a little high. No problems at all.

cmcadams
05-11-2008, 12:10 AM
I don't have a spicewine, yet, but I think Jay knows what he's talking about. :)

beam boys bbq
05-11-2008, 08:55 AM

i am with jay on this it is called an water pan for an reason

i have used wine in mine and the evaporation rate was slow so
i have went back to water and the pan is the right size for an normal cook
longer cooks you might have to refill it but is is an water pan

york

BBQ_MAFIA
05-11-2008, 08:58 AM
I always use water when using my Large.

ThomEmery
05-11-2008, 09:29 AM
The great thing about these smokers is you have options

JD McGee
05-11-2008, 09:38 AM

i am with jay on this it is called an water pan for an reason

i have used wine in mine and the evaporation rate was slow so
i have went back to water and the pan is the right size for an normal cook
longer cooks you might have to refill it but is is an water pan

york

4 gallons of wine...??? I'm there bro! :twisted::twisted::twisted: Seriously now...I am considering a small SW in the near future. I like the design...a lot! Hey Jay...any dealers up here in my neck of the woods yet?

spicewine
05-12-2008, 08:08 AM
Hey Jay...any dealers up here in my neck of the woods yet?

Not yet!! Still looking!!

Spice