PDA

View Full Version : Is Smoking Safe? (in a galvanized garbage can)

AlbuQue
05-07-2008, 05:04 PM
I ran across this today while surfing: http://www.chowhound.com/topics/284991

Any thoughts?

Rick

tony76248
05-07-2008, 05:07 PM
I am told that it is ok since the poisonous gases are not emitted until the galvanized metal reaches 900 degrees. So being that the white trash company is still in business, I guess it is probably ok. That said I would probably avoid it if given an alternative.

Jorge
05-07-2008, 05:14 PM
I can buy a cooker that is safer, and not going to break the bank. I'm willing to bet that some of the coals will more than reach the temp required to release hazardous fumes.

I take enough risks driving to the grocery store and back, with all of the idiots on the road. I'll pass on taking a risk on something I don't have complete control over:mrgreen:

Norcoredneck
05-07-2008, 06:26 PM
I wouldn't risk it. UDS!

Ernie3
05-07-2008, 06:55 PM
Why risk it if there are other options? Better safe than sorry.:wink:

Solidkick
05-07-2008, 07:02 PM
Now I may be wrong in my thinking.....but I never thought about toxic fumes being released at an overall temp of 900*.......I'm worried about where the briquettes are setting on the metal, and that very easily could get over 900*.....so I wouldn't risk it.....an El Cheapo Brinkman (ECB) is about 40.00 or less....

JD McGee
05-07-2008, 07:21 PM
Not as far as I'm concerned...way too many inexpensive SAFE smokers out there to risk it.

beam boys bbq
05-07-2008, 07:28 PM
i am the king on this talk

i have had two smokers that were lined with this metal

i also went to college on metal tec

don't risk it 830 degrees in when the metal will start breaking down

i have had two smokers and they were lined with this metal and i can see the inprovement with the bbq by going with an different smoker

cold smoking would be the only thing that i would use this metal for

york

OSD
05-07-2008, 07:29 PM
Why take a chance?? That garbage can most likely costs more than a55 gal. drum. So just make a UDS!

Bbq Bubba
05-07-2008, 08:27 PM
I wouldn't risk it. UDS!

(Drum spokesmen mod) :biggrin::cool:

KC_Bobby
05-07-2008, 09:02 PM
What do you all think about dumping old coals in a galvanized trashcan? I bought one to dump in the coals and ash after smoking for fire safety reasons. I don't plan on hanging out by the trashcan after hot coals are dumped in.

Then what do you think about adding in a grill shelf so the bigger coals can be recycled ... would you use the recycled coals? The coals are generally near burned out when I dump them in.

jestridge
05-07-2008, 09:08 PM
Well I have ate food where you steam in trash cans didnt have any problem. Most of the time you have a problem when you weld or cut on it an you canget galv. poison this is actually a sickness it have flu symptom. But think about this what about the chrom rack you cook on now there some bad chit in chrom.

acorette
05-08-2008, 10:01 AM
Is Smoking Safe? (in a galvanized garbage can)

Only if you don't inhale.

{rimshot}

Midnight Smoke
05-08-2008, 10:09 AM
Like mentioned UDS is the way.

I smoked in a galvanized garbage can for years. This extra growth on my head hardly bothers me at all, except when it starts talking. :rolleyes:

AlbuQue
05-08-2008, 10:10 AM
I just ran across the article while surfing and remembered seeing discussions on here about the subject. I wasn't planning on making one just posted information. I made a UDS 2 weeks ago and am so impressed with it I gave my son my Charbroil offset.

Rick

Divemaster
05-08-2008, 10:53 AM
I agree with all of the above... It's not worth the risk...

voodoobbqIL
05-08-2008, 11:02 AM
I smoked in trash cans for years, and if they are properly seasoned there is no more risk than budget smokers that use low end paints. The catch to the design is to not have the fire be able to be in direct contact with the metal, so if you put a weber smokey joe in the bottom then our risk goes to pretty much none. When we designed ours we took into account algorithms that measured O2 consumption of a fire and how to keep it from ever getting to the "complete combustion" stage. Then we also dry smoked the cans for no less than 6 hours with oak wood after the customary rubdown.

I agree that there are risks but, a little food safety knowledge and some science go a long long way.

Transformer BBQ
05-08-2008, 11:05 AM
What do you all think about dumping old coals in a galvanized trashcan? I bought one to dump in the coals and ash after smoking for fire safety reasons. I don't plan on hanging out by the trashcan after hot coals are dumped in.

Then what do you think about adding in a grill shelf so the bigger coals can be recycled ... would you use the recycled coals? The coals are generally near burned out when I dump them in.

No food = no issues for me on this move

jestridge
05-08-2008, 05:02 PM
When zinc vapor mixes with the oxygen in the air, it reacts instantly to become zinc oxide. This is the same white powder that you see on some noses at the beach and the slopes. Zinc oxide is non-toxic and non carcinogenic. Extensive research(1) into the effects of zinc oxide fumes has been done, and although breathing those fumes will cause welders to think that they have the flu in a bad way, there are no long-term health effects
I thought this infro might be helpful

voodoobbqIL
05-08-2008, 05:56 PM
I would really more worried about consuming a bunch of meat that had been over charred (known carcinogen) than careful heat management in a galvanized can.

big brother smoke
05-08-2008, 06:00 PM

I do this all the time!

Cabntmkr1
05-09-2008, 05:30 AM
Ok, I'll be the "other" voice.
I think that a little common sense and careful use will go a long way in making this an okay way to do business. I wouldn't be afraid to use it if I had no other means to cook my meat. It wouldn't be my preferred, but I would have no qualms about it. I agree that a good UDS is probably cheaper, but then some of those barrels have had some mighty nasty chemicals in them. How do we know we got all of the nasties out?
I realize that you guys try to get barrels that have only had good stuff in them, but the nasty ones do get used too.:|
There seems to be enough information on the internet concerning zinc that a guy could feel okay about using this method.
Do any of you take zinc supplements? I do. It sure helps keep the common cold at bay in the winter months...
That's my two cents...

BTW: The boy scouts have been making trashcan turkey for a few years now, and they seem to be okay.
Some use steel cans, but a lot use the galvanized type. If you haven't heard of this do a Google search.
It just comes down to how much research you do, and what your comfort level is.