PDA

View Full Version : Smokin' with Buckthorn and Black Walnut

ciret
05-03-2008, 05:45 PM
Anybody every use Buckthorn for smokin'? I have lots of it growing in my yard and since it is considered a weed tree I've been cutting it down. I know the berries are considered poisonous or medicinal depending on who you talk to. The medicinal use is as a laxative, I'd hate smoke a batch of food and give everyone who ate it you know what :icon_bugeyed

I also cut down a Black Walnut tree. Black Walnut also has a strange property. "The Black Walnut produces a substance that is toxic or "allelopathic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allelopathy)" to other plants called juglone (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juglone). It interferes with the healthy development of other plants causing wilting and yellowing of the foliage." from wikipedia. Would that make bad smoke? I have also heard that woodworkers or carvers might buy Black Walnut for a better price than I can buy smokin' wood.

Any thoughts, ideas or feed back will be appreciated.

OSD
05-03-2008, 06:35 PM
I'd most likely pass on the Buckthorn, but try burning some and see what the smoke smell like. :-D
The Walnut, if the tree is big enough, can be worth some money. If you use it to smoke with, I would mix it in small quantities with oak or pecan. It is a very strong almost harsh flavor and too much will give the food a bitter taste.:-D I have tried it and didn't care for it. JMHO:-D

Harbormaster
05-03-2008, 06:39 PM
I've also heard that black walnut makes some peoples lips go numb.
I have a black walnut log in my woodshed that I am frankly afraid to chunk and try.

ciret
05-03-2008, 07:42 PM
Any idea where I would find out how much the Black Walnut is worth? I did try a couple of google searches for specialty wood/lumber and didn't come up with anything promising.

Cabntmkr1
05-05-2008, 08:39 AM
Any idea where I would find out how much the Black Walnut is worth? I did try a couple of google searches for specialty wood/lumber and didn't come up with anything promising.
Black Walnut is a premium cabinet/furniture wood.
That said, the problem will be finding someone who will come and get a single tree. The sawmills USUALLY are interested only if you have a number of trees for them to harvest.
There are plenty of individuals who dabble in woodworking that may be interested. I would suggest you advertise in your local newspaper...
Also, the tannic acid in Black Walnut is very high, which would tend to give anything you would smoke with it an acrid, bitter, taste.
I would suggest you pass on using it as a smoking wood.
Thats my opinion, for what it's worth.:wink:

Sawdustguy
05-05-2008, 03:39 PM
A woodturner would buy the tree from you in a heartbeat.