PDA

View Full Version : Voting has begun May "Why I deserve this" Pecan

Ashmont
05-02-2008, 01:32 PM
Voting has begun May "Why I deserve this" Pecan. There is only 10 for this month.So lets have some fun. To review the selected contestants see the link......

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41686

You will see this thread before I can get the 10 contestants in the poll. Slow typing mod

Thawley
05-02-2008, 01:38 PM
WTF? How come I'm not on there???

Thawley mod...

cmcadams
05-02-2008, 01:53 PM
WTF? How come I'm not on there???

Thawley mod...

Obviously you were deemed unworthy! :-P

JD McGee
05-02-2008, 01:55 PM
If I can't have it...I 'aint votin' for anyone else! :twisted:

ipls3355
05-02-2008, 01:58 PM
That's 3355. Just in case anyone gets confused:wink:

CaptGrumpy
05-02-2008, 01:58 PM
Since I can't count for crap and I couldn't dazzle em with my brilliance nor baffle em with my BS to get in, I had to vote for my NorCal Bretheren, Barbarian! I don't have a farkin' clue why he would deserve this award but the fact that he wants some "Texas Peecan" for smokin' is good nuff by me!
Vote for Barbarian! Vote often!:shock::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

milehigh
05-02-2008, 02:13 PM
I see everyone has voted for themselves so far:wink:

Paul

cmcadams
05-02-2008, 02:17 PM
I see everyone has voted for themselves so far:wink:

Paul

I'm not about to take the trouble to write a pecan haiku then NOT vote for me! You should, too!!! :icon_devil

smokinvic
05-02-2008, 02:24 PM
A Vote for me is a vote for BBQ. For happy children. For frinds and fellow bretheren weeping in happiness. A vote for me is a vote for SmokinVic......

Westexbbq
05-02-2008, 02:31 PM
A vote for me is a very well-deserved vote for me.
(I also know the true identity of the American Poet quoted above.)

I appreciate your support.

jpw23
05-02-2008, 02:56 PM
pffffft!!!!! I deserve the pecan....not only am I a singer/songwriter, I'm also a movie star......probably be gov'nr of my state soon:rolleyes:

cmcadams
05-02-2008, 02:58 PM
I just realized how sad it will be if only I vote for me!

Dr_KY
05-02-2008, 03:13 PM
How will I ever explain my failure to the masses.

hcarter
05-02-2008, 03:41 PM
Come on!! I'm in OHIO for God sakes!! Help me help the other people around me discover good food!! Please?

cmcadams
05-02-2008, 03:47 PM
hcarter, with that thinking, you should be voting for me.. I'm a Buckeye, too!

hcarter
05-02-2008, 05:44 PM
hcarter, with that thinking, you should be voting for me.. I'm a Buckeye, too!

Yeah, I know. But...well...I got nothin'. If I hadn't already voted, I'd vote for ya!!

Bossmanbbq
05-02-2008, 06:07 PM
If I can't have it...I 'aint votin' for anyone else! :twisted:

AMEN, Its like a teaser and when I posted I could've swore I was #8 only to check back later and find I'm further down the list :rolleyes:

Westexbbq
05-02-2008, 07:22 PM
Ohio!
Y'all are in a days ride to Texas!
Me, used to do it in about 34 hours or so but that was back in the days with a '68 VW.
Last time a few years back, had to take 2 1/3 days.
Always a blast.

Vote for me in WIDT.

I appreciate your support.

Harbormaster
05-02-2008, 07:29 PM
I'm not about to take the trouble to write a pecan haiku then NOT vote for me!
I bet I had over 50 PMs in my mailbox. Every last one bribing me to "vote for me! vote for me!" Some even offered me their daughters to use as I
please. I found it truly appalling.

Nah, I'm kidding.

I just loved the fact that Curt could work a Haiku into his brief biography.
He gets my vote.

Hey Curt, just make sure I get a good place to sleep in a couple of weeks.

cmcadams
05-02-2008, 10:52 PM
Sleep??? You expect sleep? :) Bring a tent if you have one.. I'll have one tent... and people can sleep in the church!

CaptGrumpy
05-02-2008, 10:56 PM
Hey! I can't vote anymore! What's up with that???:shock::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

CaptGrumpy
05-02-2008, 10:58 PM
and people can sleep in the church!

I get in trouble from my priest for that one all the time!:twisted:

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
05-03-2008, 08:01 AM
If I win could it be shipped to the guy in England? I am guessing that he doesnt have access to much wood like that. I can get apple, and think they would might be put to use better by him? and yes I am being serious, just not sure about the shipping cost.

Norcoredneck
05-03-2008, 08:02 AM
I vote Hook because he is close enough to share. :biggrin:

chinesebob
05-03-2008, 08:05 AM
I Want Pecan!

Smokin Gator
05-03-2008, 08:22 AM
I can't believe I didn't make the list with my blatant honesty!!!

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
05-03-2008, 02:13 PM
If I win could it be shipped to the guy in England? I am guessing that he doesnt have access to much wood like that. I can get apple, and think they would might be put to use better by him? and yes I am being serious, just not sure about the shipping cost.
I would also pitch in on the shipping, its the Bretheren thing to do!:icon_cool

Rick's Tropical Delight
05-03-2008, 08:49 PM
i guess another trip to canada is in order

Hook_Line_and_Sinker
05-03-2008, 09:48 PM
I vote Hook because he is close enough to share. :biggrin:
absolutely sharing is is the brethren thing to do

Hook_Line_and_Sinker
05-03-2008, 10:36 PM
Its hard to imagine that its only been a month since I took the dive and joined the Brethren. To think that in such a short time i have learned so much from so many here. The genuinely fraternal look and feel of the site is exceeded only by the attitude of the people here. From the excellent pointers of experienced masters, and of those just learning the art, provides a map to success that would be hard fought to learn otherwise.

The Brethren are a well rounded and passionate group about the craft and each other, from hard core competition discussions, to the antics of the woodpile . Along with endless examples of having each others back and the compassion they've shown in those troubled times. nothing falls on deaf ears, in this brotherhood.

Why I deserve this pecan? Well I don't really, I've done nothing special, nothing more than any other Brethren has done, and not nearly as much as many brethren have done.

I feel honored to be considered part of this Brethren, and involved. Only a month here and I could be treated to a gift from the Brethren, thats amazing in itself.

In my book I've already won so much, just having found this place, and the Brethren that compose it.

Thank You Brethren!

Add another Farker to the woodpile, from California
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Living my life long quest to broker World Peace through good eating, I learned at an early age that the shared experience of devouring the seared flesh of animals and plants, brought people together. It was later that I learned that the enhancement of this food by an open flame and smoking timbers created the strongest bonds between people.
I’m ecstatic to have stumbled onto a gathering such as I have found here among the brethren. Where the art and science of BBQ melt together with the ingenuity and resourcefulness of ninja grill master MacGyver.
Add in the Q Pron and the How Too’s , and its easy to see that I will acquire many pounds in my quest. I can almost smell the smoke and taste the Q , each time I peruse the threads of the these forums.
I’m sure you can see it now , just over the horizon, it’s here the object of my quest, World Peace is nearing, because of your Q and spirit to master the best Q. You say you can’t see it? Look over at the sunset, behind that Weber Smokey Mountain , over the Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe, to the left of that New Braunfels Black Diamond, around the back of that Chargriller, over that American Royal, just right of the Brinkman Smoke 'N' Pit Professional, beside that Big Green Egg, next to the Backwoods Smoker, where that Klose's Backyard Chef is sitting next to that Cheapo Offset Smoker and the Spicewine rig, where the Fast Eddy Cookshack Pellet Smoker is leaning on the Great Outdoor Smokey Mountain , that is sitting on that Klose Mobile Pit , there is a Smoke King Deluxe and a Mother of All Banderas, along with two Weber One Touch Gold, and a Weber One Touch Performer, and a rusted Weber One Touch Silver lid on a Ugly Drum Smoker, around the corner from a Klose Pit with a Cookshack Eletric Smoker right near where Larry is polishing his Big Drum Smoker, SEE it Now ? That kid with the goofy smile, gnawing on one of your best ribs, he’s going to bring peace to this world and its all because of you and your Q.

Hook Line and Sinker
Tight lids and Sizzling grills to all

Brethren,
Another Addicted Brother Gives in to Start His First Build
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For days now I have coveted they neighbors grill, as I have read this thread. Lusting over the gleaming chrome and stainless steel, I read and reread making note of measurements and ideas. Like some future olympian I learned from the best as saw them compete in the pursuit of the best smoked foods and smoker to cook it upon. The UDS gods seem to call to me, make me and I will deliver the best foods you ever made, give me your beef , pork and poultry and I will deliver you a wealth of goodness.

Smoking stars like , Norcoredneck, Big Mista , Thom Emery, JW, thirdeye,N8man, Bottles 'n Bones, Thawley, Meat Burner, Brian in So Cal, ipls3355, Scudrunr, Dr_KY, and many many others, have giving so much help in information to the masses so that even the most project challenged of us can be assured success in building our very own UDS The pictures, suggestions and advice are tremendous.

I of course have been bitten by the bug to build one, slowing gathering the parts and locating the drum are in the works. I will have to find a place for the burn out, since I’m in the same predicament as Big Mista was originally. I have a few questions that I didn’t find answers to;

How much is the volume of ash left over from burning 10 to 13 lbs of kingfords?

I have seen many burn out pictures and descriptions, but no mention if the lid, how are you burning off the lid , or do you burn it?

Last question, Beer can chicken, how tall is it ( my store bought holder and a 5lb bird is nearly 11 inches) is that average? And besides a turkey what else is the tallest meat I need to consider for grill spacing .

Thanks again for such an informative thread and my new addiction.

Hook Line and Sinker

Forney
05-04-2008, 04:27 AM
Who to vote for??? Hmm... I should probably support a fellow Buckeye. Let's see, I send my hard earned tax money to Columbus and Waynesville is way down there in Bengals territory...

cmcadams
05-04-2008, 06:54 AM
Forney, my house isn't Bengal's territory... It is Buckeye Country, though!

And those of you close enough, you will get to try some pecan if you vote me for me... And I'll be using the rest of it to cook at the Pretty Good Barbecue, where we'll be cooking 500 lbs of meat to give away...

Rick's Tropical Delight
05-04-2008, 07:28 AM
my vote puts curt in a commanding lead! heheh

Bbq Bubba
05-04-2008, 07:57 AM

And those of you close enough, you will get to try some pecan if you vote me for me... And I'll be using the rest of it to cook at the Pretty Good Barbecue, where we'll be cooking 500 lbs of meat to give away...

You'd make a good politician, you just got my vote!! :cool:

cmcadams
05-04-2008, 12:17 PM
Thanks! I just wanted to make sure everyone knew this wasn't just for me... I'll spread the wealth!

michiana mark
05-04-2008, 02:28 PM
You'd make a good politician, you just got my vote!! :cool:

If'in it's good enough for Bubba, it's good enough for me. That and tryin to keep the tension down on the border.:icon_shy

ipls3355
05-04-2008, 05:29 PM

Isn't that on May 17? This poll doesn't close till May 25.

cmcadams
05-04-2008, 08:24 PM
Isn't that on May 17? This poll doesn't close till May 25.

True... I didn't think about that... Then it will at least get shared amongst the OhFos that want to try it!

Harbormaster
05-04-2008, 10:22 PM
Hey Curt,
I'll be a sport and bring some pecan I traded for with Puppyboy.

boberosabbq
05-05-2008, 08:18 AM
Don't forget about me. I've got 3 hungry mouths to feed. (Dogs count right)

Ashmont
05-05-2008, 03:53 PM
hcarter, with that thinking, you should be voting for me.. I'm a Buckeye, too! :eek::eek::eek::eek::icon_devil:icon_devil:icon_de vil:icon_devil:icon_devil:icon_devil:biggrin::bigg rin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Whats a "Buckeye"?

You mean these things? I knew all Buckeyes were "NUTS" :eek::eek::eek::evil::evil::evil:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b321/Ashmont_/images.jpg

Remember seeing these things at scout camp. Just Kidding guys!!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:. Be nice were in Qtalk and I just Hijacked my own contest...

We have, Mizzou, K State and KU~~~!!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::wink::win k::wink::wink:

cmcadams
05-06-2008, 06:40 PM
Nuts, yes, but poisonous nuts.. just keep that in mind!

hcarter
05-08-2008, 08:21 AM
This seems to have gotten lost.

Ashmont
05-08-2008, 11:59 AM
Nuts, yes, but poisonous nuts.. just keep that in mind!

There the same as acorns. They contain tanic acid. deer and squirrel can handle the acid we as humans cannot.

bbqbull
05-08-2008, 12:05 PM
I voted for Curt as he is one hell of a nice guy and does a lot of volunteering cooking for his church.
He also mentors folks new to Q at contests.

cmcadams
05-08-2008, 12:16 PM
I voted for Curt as he is one hell of a nice guy and does a lot of volunteering cooking for his church.
He also mentors folks new to Q at contests.

Well, thanks, Mike. :)

and now I have an XL BGE to cook dinner for everyone next weekend!

bbqbull
05-08-2008, 03:35 PM
Curt I would love to come down and help but already teaching Hunters Saftey to the youth of America.
Good luck and have fun.

CaptGrumpy
05-08-2008, 06:11 PM
Well, thanks, Mike. :)

and now I have an XL BGE to cook dinner for everyone next weekend!

It must be the XL Egg that is getting you all the votes!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Ashmont
05-09-2008, 02:21 PM
I just don't get it...... Out of the almost 1000 active users 40+ only voted. Oh well at least they voted.

ipls3355
05-09-2008, 02:25 PM
I just don't get it...... Out of the almost 1000 active users 40+ only voted. Oh well at least they voted.
132 members on right now....come on guys VOTE!!

(unless your gonna vote for someone besides me:wink:

MRI_Guy
05-09-2008, 02:40 PM
Sampson had the only entry that made me spit coffee out of my nose - so I would have voted for him in a heartbeat...........

Dr_KY
05-09-2008, 03:31 PM
Smokin' Gnome BBQ Needs your votes people!

Westexbbq
05-09-2008, 03:40 PM
Vote for me for WIDT!

Ashmont
05-14-2008, 09:20 AM
I think next contest I will only have voting for 10 days. This is toooo long!

Westexbbq
05-14-2008, 09:29 AM
Looks like I have some catching up to do!

Vote for me in WIDT!

In your heart, you know it's right.

A chicken in every pit and pecan in the firebox.

smokinvic
05-15-2008, 04:12 PM
I have three votes!!! Whoooo Hooooo!!!!!

Forney
05-15-2008, 06:04 PM
Here's another vote for Curt... Have the Super Delegates voted yet??

milehigh
05-15-2008, 06:18 PM
Have the Super Delegates voted yet??
:lol::lol::lol: LMFAO

Curt's been courting them.

Paul

cmcadams
05-22-2008, 08:14 AM
:lol::lol::lol: LMFAO

Curt's been courting them.

Paul

Nah.. I'm a republican... we let the people speak for themselves. :)

But I do appreciate the votes! I love me some pecan!

Ashmont
05-22-2008, 08:31 AM
Nah.. I'm a republican... we let the people speak for themselves. :)

But I do appreciate the votes! I love me some pecan!

I hear other people in the running are going to the end. Taking loans out to finance a their campaigns!

cmcadams
05-22-2008, 08:33 AM
I also hear votes have been offered for sale by some brethren...

Westexbbq
05-22-2008, 08:35 AM
Vote early, vote often, vote for me for WIDT!

keend
05-22-2008, 09:55 AM
I voted for boberosabbq to add a little excitement. This needs to be a closer race to the end. :grin:

cmcadams
05-22-2008, 10:02 AM
[campaigning hat on]

But have any of the others helped organize an event this month to give away 1000 sandwiches to a depressed neighborhood in 45 minutes???

I don't think so!

brought to you by the Pecan for Curt campaign
[campaigning hat off]

Not that others aren't deserving...

milehigh
05-22-2008, 12:15 PM
Vote early, vote often

You can vote more than once??:shock::eek:

Paul

Divemaster
05-22-2008, 12:44 PM
You can vote more than once??:shock::eek:

Paul
Only if you live in Chicago.

Westexbbq
05-22-2008, 01:03 PM
and in some parts of Texas......:biggrin:

Ashmont
05-22-2008, 01:05 PM
Get your vote in before May 25th the Voting will close on May 25th.... Also The June contest is around the corner and I have the prize ready! To brighten thing a little. The Contestants MUST ONLY have a funny story to tell that happened to them in their life.

Bbq Bubba
05-22-2008, 01:06 PM
Only if you live in Chicago.

You could always vote in Chicago and then drive to Dayton and vote again.....:confused::cool: