PDA

View Full Version : "All Natural" Labels Are Deceiving

thirdeye
04-27-2008, 10:41 PM
Okay, I have trained myself to double check all pork products and will NOT buy the ones that aren't fresh, natural, etc. No injected or "enhanced" meats for this boy. Well I have recently busted Morrell pork that was labeled "fresh" in big letters, but the fine print said otherwise.

Today I checked the fine print on this chicken.......what the @#*!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Cooking/DSC04693a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Cooking/DSC04694b.jpg

According to the USDA, the broth can contain salt, seasonings, flavorings and other "natural" things including carrageenan, a seaweed extract that allows the chicken to hold on to the salt and water during processing. :evil:

Rick's Tropical Delight
04-27-2008, 10:45 PM
sad to say, but the only way to know for sure is to chop off the chicken head yourself.

non-enhanced for me also

MilitantSquatter
04-27-2008, 10:49 PM
It's all marketing.

By the food companies definition, anything derived from the Earth (ex. animals, plants) can qualify for the all natural label. But when you alter a natural product substantially, it's no longer anything close to what it was derived from.

Ex... corn syrup or cocaine. Natural ?? Depends on who is pushing it....

dmprantz
04-27-2008, 10:50 PM
I don't doubt that it may be better to get a chicken that hasn't been enhanced with salt, water, and some form of seaweed, but I don't see anything that is a lie. Each of those ingredients is natural. Perhaps I am missing the point of the title?

txschutte
04-27-2008, 11:09 PM
Nowadays, sadly, you will be hard pressed to find a true "all natural" product. Raising all of your own food is the only way to be 100% sure.

thirdeye
04-27-2008, 11:26 PM
I don't doubt that it may be better to get a chicken that hasn't been enhanced with salt, water, and some form of seaweed, but I don't see anything that is a lie. Each of those ingredients is natural. Perhaps I am missing the point of the title?

I'm not saying they are lying, I just don't appreciate the "creative" label which gave me the wrong level of confidence in the product. Other products that are labeled "Tender-N-Juicy" or "Moist and Tender" or "Marinated" tell you right up front, in big letters, what they have done...

TOPS BBQ
04-27-2008, 11:46 PM
Most labels are deceiving. Just go to your local supermarket and the in the butcher/meat department you'll find steaks and other meat products that say "Butcher's Choice" or "Prime Choice". The meats are not even USDA graded but there is nothing that bars stores from using their own labels, as long as they don't say "USDA Choice, Prime or Select" when it's not.

gotwood
04-28-2008, 09:23 AM
I believe fresh just has to do with temperature storage....dont know the specifics though.

bigabyte
04-28-2008, 09:46 AM
I noticed that some time ago with those chickens from Sams Club, but I don't let it bother me because I brine them anyway which is no different. My favorite chuckle I get from the label is on the right hand side.

1. Chicken Raised Without Antibiotics (that impact antibiotic resistance in humans). In other words, yes this chicken was raised with antibiotics, but nobody has been able to prove that it affects humans yet.

2. No Hormones Administered** (the stars say, "Federal Regulations Prohibit the Use of Hormones in Chicken", so it goes without saying since all chicken sold in the US must meet this standard. It's like labeling Salt as Fat Free).

3. No Artificial Ingredients* (the star says, "No Artifical Ingredients Minimally Processed". This one leaves a LOT open. Are they saying that no minimally processed artifical ingredietns were used, only heavily processed artifical ingredients? According to their deinition that IS a possibility).

jestridge
04-28-2008, 08:02 PM
I like the one that say mechanically process chicken. What the heck is that.

Meat Burner
04-28-2008, 08:35 PM
I'm not saying they are lying, I just don't appreciate the "creative" label which gave me the wrong level of confidence in the product. Other products that are labeled "Tender-N-Juicy" or "Moist and Tender" or "Marinated" tell you right up front, in big letters, what they have done...
Same here Thirdeye. It's BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Obviously legal but BS!!!!