PDA

View Full Version : Wild Turkey. (Not the drinking kind)

chibi
04-24-2008, 09:00 PM
A friend at work asked me if I would smoke a wild turkey he shot a couple weeks ago. I said yes of course. Now the delima. I need to know what is the best seasoning for a wild turkey. I have done reg. turkeys before that came out great. But wild is a little different. So shoot me some ideas.
Michael

BBQ Grail
04-24-2008, 09:14 PM
Plowboys Yardbird rub and of course you have to use WILD CHERRY wood...

jestridge
04-24-2008, 09:25 PM
I have heard the only good part is the breast.

Yakfishingfool
04-24-2008, 09:54 PM
I took the breast only, brined overnight, then wrapped in bacon. then smoked. Turned out good!

Bearbonez
04-24-2008, 10:36 PM
I like brined with some oranges, garlic cloves, fresh rosemary and a couple bay leaves. Some fresh chervil would be good if you can find it, and of course some wild turkey whiskey in the brine. The brine will work into all the meat and add moisture, which will also produce tenderness, even in the working dark meat muscles on wild game. Season with pepper, garlic and onion powder, some ground sage, and a lil celery salt. Melt a couple sticks of butter and mix with some tobasco (amount to your liking). soak that up with a cheesecloth and wrap the bird. BBQ high heat. like 300-325 till breast hits 165. Wrap in foil and rest till cool enough to put in the fridge if taking to someone for later. Otherwise just let it rest on a cutting board for 15 minutes and carve.