PDA

View Full Version : When you cook spares at home ...

Pipin' Pig
04-24-2008, 01:48 PM
OK we have talked about spares vs. back ribs and in that thread there was discussion on the off cuts.

So my question to the group is assuming you cook spares at home, do you always trim St. Louis style, or do you sometimes just toss them on?

Also, I have heard some debate here in SC about not removing the membrane. I personally always remove it but I would be interested in thoughts on home vs. comp cooking.

RichardF
04-24-2008, 01:52 PM
I always trim and remove the membrane when cooking spares. If it takes 30-seconds a rack, I'd be surprised. I like the prep process and the esthetic is also important whether I'm cooking just for myself or others.

Spydermike72
04-24-2008, 01:55 PM
I have always trimmed to St Louis style and I have always removed the membrane. Even at home...

Papa Hogg
04-24-2008, 02:05 PM
I always remove the membrane, but I will cook the full slabs at home especially if it's just my family. If we have guests then I will trim to St. Louis cuts.

HoosierTrooper
04-24-2008, 02:10 PM
Always trim and peel off the membrane and toss it out with the other...stuff... :mrgreen:

Smokin Gator
04-24-2008, 02:11 PM
I always trim to St. Louis cut and remove the membrane. I cook the rib tips and either save them for beans or put them in an aluminum pan with sauce and make Memphis style rib tips... They are one of my favorites!!

Pipin' Pig
04-24-2008, 02:58 PM
Forgot to add what I do ...

I used to just remove the membrane and toss them on the smoker after a slather/rub. That was before I discovered the St. Louis style method. Now I always trim and put the "niblin's" on to enjoy as the cook progresses. The kids love them.

Haven't tried to do the toss in bean thing, but will.

What is the prep method for Memphis style rib tips? Is this just slow cooking them in a sauce bath?

Smokin Gator
04-24-2008, 03:05 PM
What is the prep method for Memphis style rib tips? Is this just slow cooking them in a sauce bath?

You cook the rib trimmings right along with the ribs. About the same time you would foil the ribs (three hour mark) you pull them off and slice them into about rib width slices (of course some of the trimmings will be small end ribs). Then put them in a covered aluminum foil pan with thinned sauce. Cook another hour or so and eat good. Just think burnt ends but with rib trimmings. Good stuff right there!!!

Arlin_MacRae
04-24-2008, 03:17 PM
I mostly trim to St. Louis style and cook the trimmings alongside the racks. I chop them up at the end. put them in a big bowl, and sauce them for chef snacks and munchies. I've removed the membrane and haven't removed the membrane. For me, there hasn't been a lot of difference in eating them either way.

Pipin' Pig
04-24-2008, 03:24 PM
You cook the rib trimmings right along with the ribs. About the same time you would foil the ribs (three hour mark) you pull them off and slice them into about rib width slices (of course some of the trimmings will be small end ribs). Then put them in a covered aluminum foil pan with thinned sauce. Cook another hour or so and eat good. Just think burnt ends but with rib trimmings. Good stuff right there!!!

Going to have to try that. I normally just start pulling them when I foil and start munching.

qman
04-24-2008, 03:28 PM
I generally remove the membrane; no trimming unless something is dangling:-D. Apply rub and toss in the cooker.

Bigmista
04-24-2008, 03:49 PM
I pull off the membrane and cut off the "knuckle" bone but leave the tips on at home.

BBQ Grail
04-24-2008, 03:53 PM
Always remove membrane and St. Louis trim. The trimmings have turned into some fantastic meals in a variety of different ways.

(Find Norco's Crockpot Pork Verde as an example)

Divemaster
04-24-2008, 05:44 PM
I have always trimmed to St Louis style and I have always removed the membrane. Even at home...
Ditto

We always call those the "cook snacks"...

frankenswine
04-24-2008, 06:07 PM
I usually remove the membrane and cook them whole. If we have company I will cut them St. Louis style but will cook the tips along side the ribs.

Nitrofly
04-24-2008, 06:13 PM
I always remove the membrane
and trim into St. Louis cut..
I was thinking that I might just
cook the whole rack next time..
But the guys I work with love
the rib trimin's :icon_blush:
going to try that foil idea with
the ribletes next time

Harbormaster
04-24-2008, 06:19 PM
I always trim to St. Louis cut and remove the membrane. I cook the rib tips and either save them for beans or put them in an aluminum pan with sauce and make Memphis style rib tips... They are one of my favorites!!
Brothers from different mothers we must be!

OSD
04-24-2008, 06:50 PM
If I'm just doing them for us I usually don't trim, just pull the membrane. If we are having people over then I trim them up to St Louis style. Sometime I cook the trimmings for treats or to go in the beans. If I have a bunch of racks to do then I will trim, vac pack and freeze the trimmings for a later cook. They are great for Quesadillas and for chili.:biggrin:

jestridge
04-24-2008, 09:28 PM
according how I feel.

Meat Burner
04-24-2008, 09:52 PM

Yes sir!!! The smaller pieces become the cooks snack and the larger pieces for later use.

JD McGee
04-24-2008, 10:01 PM
I never trim at home...only for comps. :biggrin:

bigabyte
04-24-2008, 10:35 PM
I score the membrane, no need to remove it. I trim off the meat above the knuckles, then square off the ends. I trim off the little flap of meat too.

Kevin
04-24-2008, 10:43 PM
Always trim, always remove membrane. The trimmings are for ME.

Bearbonez
04-24-2008, 11:46 PM
I always remove the membrane. Trimming depends on how much time I have or if gettin in practice for comps. If I am feeling lazy and have plenty of time I will not trim them. I found after moving to 6500' elevation that untrimmed spares will take 8 hours to cook. So that being said it is rare that i cook them untrimmed.

icemn62
04-25-2008, 09:25 AM
Trim depends on my mood and time restraints. Membrane comes off, unless I forget it {again rushing}. If ging to have company then I trim an make look nice and pretty

Roo-B-Q'N
04-25-2008, 10:05 AM
I usually buy the ribs cut to St Louis, or our meat sponsor has them cut St louis for comps. However, I still go over the racks and remove the membrane and cut off the flap and any excess fat. Used to have to trim off a few of the smaller bones when I cooked them on the Backwoods, with the Spicewine I don't have to do that any more. They fit in there nicely.

BBQ_MAFIA
04-25-2008, 03:13 PM
I always remove membrane.
Most of the time I trim

handicap18
04-25-2008, 06:28 PM
I found a new place for my pork and they cut the spares down to a STL cut before they package them for selling. They include everything in the package though. So I only have to trim the ends and pull off the membrane. Not bad for $1.88/lb.