PDA

View Full Version : T-bones

Kidcurry73
04-21-2008, 07:24 PM
With the free Weber sitting on my porch and the UDS build not yet complete
I decided I'd fire up the 1/4 bag of charcoal I had laying around and cook up some T-Bones.

http://xs226.xs.to/xs226/08172/grill__medium_234.jpg

Having done most of my recent grilling over a gas fire :eek: I was unsure of the best way to go about this.
I only had about a 1/4 bag of charcoal or about 1 chimneys worth and I was unsure if this would be enough.
Well the T-Bones turn out pretty tasty but not pretty. :sad:

http://xs226.xs.to/xs226/08172/temp__medium_155.jpg

I don't think I let it get hot enough before I put the meat on, or there was not enough coals for a hot enough fire,
I don't know but they just did not want to sear. These grill marks are after almost 5 min over direct heat.

http://xs226.xs.to/xs226/08172/ongrill__medium_189.jpg

Anyway they tasted pretty good and were very tender, I just wish the
meat did not look so gray and that the grill marks had been better defined.

http://xs226.xs.to/xs226/08172/t-bone__medium_996.jpg

I'll make sure I have more charcoal next time...heading off now to see if they have lump at my local walmart.

JD McGee
04-21-2008, 07:34 PM
Ahhhh...steak pron...my favorite! lookin' good bro! :-P

JimT
04-21-2008, 07:40 PM
Don't sweat it Kid!

Do you want to take pretty pictures, or eat a good steak?

You can cook a really good steak over medium, or even low, heat.

JimT

Norcoredneck
04-21-2008, 10:44 PM
Now that your belly is full finish The UDS for the weekend!

fnnm358
04-22-2008, 06:40 AM
looks good

finish that UDS and light it this weekend got mine ready to go will be stopping friday to get some lump

BBQ Grail
04-22-2008, 10:06 AM
Great looking steak. And the pictures are pretty good too!

Midnight Smoke
04-22-2008, 10:13 AM
I don't know, they look good to me.

wlh3
04-22-2008, 10:30 AM
I love the T-Bones, and those look darn good to me:icon_bigsmil Get that barrel rolling, you will love it.8-)

icemn62
04-22-2008, 10:32 AM
The steaks look good to me, if you don't like them send them to me and I will see to it that those ugly steaks are taken care of.

OSD
04-22-2008, 02:55 PM
Looks like good eatin' from here.:-D

Smokin Gator
04-22-2008, 07:08 PM
MMMMmmm.... I hope t-bones are on sale for this week's Friday night steak night!!!

jestridge
04-22-2008, 07:31 PM
Any steak looks good. Yours really did look good

Kidcurry73
04-22-2008, 07:36 PM
Thanks guys...I hope to burn my barrel for the uds tonight.

BBQchef33
04-22-2008, 08:16 PM
Out of kingsford? nope.. you forgot a main ingredient....

WOOD.

1 chimney is plenty in the kettle.............when u add a bunch of wood.. i prefer oak or hickory chunks and A LOT of them.. like a dozen or better.. or 4 good sized splits to start with....with 1-2 mesquite chunks. I burn the wood down to a seering hot coalbed.. keep adding wood chucks or logs till u get 8-900 degrees, or where you can not hold your hand over the coals for more than a second. i leaf blower on idle aimed at the side of the kettle will give you a blue hot fire to help burn the logs down faster. You can have the kettle ready in 15-20 minutes that way.

then 2 minutes per side.. flip once...if they arent done, move them to the other side, or push the coals to one side.. cover and finish them offset.

You will have a load of fuel left after the steaks are done, which essentially is lump charcoal now.. so close all the vents and just add the chimney to the top of them next time to do the same thing.

smokeydog
04-22-2008, 08:21 PM
This months Cooks Illustrated has a article on cooking t-bones, or maybe just steaks. They cooked one on gas one on charcoal. Very good article, from a good magazine. The cookbook they have on BBQ is outstanding. IMO.:-P

gotwood
04-23-2008, 09:45 AM
not enough coals bottom should be two deep in briquettes

Divemaster
04-23-2008, 11:04 AM

WOOD.

1 chimney is plenty in the kettle.............when u add a bunch of wood.. i prefer oak or hickory chunks and A LOT of them.. like a dozen or better.. or 4 good sized splits to start with....with 1-2 mesquite chunks. I burn the wood down to a seering hot coalbed.. keep adding wood chucks or logs till u get 8-900 degrees, or where you can not hold your hand over the coals for more than a second. i leaf blower on idle aimed at the side of the kettle will give you a blue hot fire to help burn the logs down faster. You can have the kettle ready in 15-20 minutes that way.

then 2 minutes per side.. flip once...if they arent done, move them to the other side, or push the coals to one side.. cover and finish them offset.

You will have a load of fuel left after the steaks are done, which essentially is lump charcoal now.. so close all the vents and just add the chimney to the top of them next time to do the same thing.

I agree... It's the only reason I keep Mesquite around the house is to toss on the Weber! Adds a great flavor and kicks up the heat even in my little Smokey Joe!

Kidcurry73
04-23-2008, 12:56 PM

WOOD.

I will try that next time! :razz: