PDA

View Full Version : Shelf Life Pork Butt

Midnight Smoke
04-18-2008, 11:06 PM
I picked up 2 Butts at Costco. The pack date is 04/13/2008 and the sell by date is 04/20/2008.

How long can the Butt remain in the fridge? I want to save one until next weekend.

Sorry if this has been answered already.

parrothead
04-19-2008, 08:21 AM
Throw it in the freezer if saving for next weekend. Pork is WAY less forgiving than beef.

Midnight Smoke
04-19-2008, 10:23 AM
Throw it in the freezer if saving for next weekend. Pork is WAY less forgiving than beef.

Better safe than sorry I guess. If I freeze today I will have to start thawing on Tuesday night for next Saturday.

91vw03
04-21-2008, 12:42 PM
I buy my buts a couple at a time and freeze them. I usually pull them out of the freezer on wednsday for a saturday morning cook. and I unwrap and rub friday night. Usually it's still a little frozen in the middle when I rub but commpletly thawed by saturday.

They are usually about 7-8 lbs.

Just Pulin' Pork
04-22-2008, 04:55 PM
If one has been frozen uncooked since last Christmas, would I be stretching it buy thawing it out and cooking it?

Midnight Smoke
04-22-2008, 08:05 PM
If one has been frozen uncooked since last Christmas, would I be stretching it buy thawing it out and cooking it?

For me, if it was stored in a deep freeze you should be good to go. If in a regular fridge that defrosts, then I would not use it. It just might not taste very good. Should not make you sick though.

Experts please chime in.

qman
04-22-2008, 08:05 PM

Just so we know, is "last Christmas" Christmas 07, or Christmas 06?

Frozen food, if properly handled and frozen, is safe to eat, practically forever. There may be some loss of quality, such as freezer burn, if not wrapped properly. A butt that has been in the freezer since Christmas o7 [4 months] is obviously ok. One in freezer since Christmas 06, if it is not freezer burned, is still ok.

Go for it.

Just Pulin' Pork
04-22-2008, 11:42 PM
Just so we know, is "last Christmas" Christmas 07, or Christmas 06?

Frozen food, if properly handled and frozen, is safe to eat, practically forever. There may be some loss of quality, such as freezer burn, if not wrapped properly. A butt that has been in the freezer since Christmas o7 [4 months] is obviously ok. One in freezer since Christmas 06, if it is not freezer burned, is still ok.

Go for it.

Christmas 07! I think I will pitch it. It for a prty at the GAB here in Kansas City and I really do not want to take the chance of getting people sick.

qman
04-23-2008, 05:59 AM
Bro, if that Butt has been in a deep freeze, there is absoutly no reason to toss it out. 4 months is nothing. It will be fine.
Even in a fridge freezer 4 months should be fine, unless you have issues with your fridge. If the butt does not show visibal signs of freezer burn, I would use it in a heartbeat.
If it was ok when you put it in the freezer, it is still ok.

Just Pulin' Pork
04-23-2008, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the input. Think this is what we will be serving up. Thanks again, much apprreciated as always.