PDA

View Full Version : My first Brisket EVER - now smokeing

Hook_Line_and_Sinker
04-16-2008, 04:46 PM
Had scheduled the day off so I was looking for some pork to burn when I ran into a packer Brisket for 1.17 / Lb that screamed do me - so here goes...

With all the Brethren help I've gleaned form here , I decided to drop it in my UDS and give it a shot.

Thanks go out to all of you, and especially Mista for the how to prepare brisket video (and of course the how to cook on a UDS one)

So for the second cook on my UDS its brisket, 14 Lbs -
trimmed it , injected with beef stock and wooster , and rubbed down with seasoning.

I'm not sure what to expect, but its dialed in and going

Of course now I'm nervously rereading all posts on briskets and hoping for the best

Hook Line and Sinker

Pig Headed
04-16-2008, 04:56 PM
We'll be patiently waiting for the pics.

scott millman
04-16-2008, 05:02 PM
Hook, best of luck buddy......this and cbbqa are the best ways to keep on top of useful tips.....have yet to meet or chat with anyone on either site that isn't friendly helpful or fun to mess with.....by all means the more pics the better.....I just did 2 briskets, 4 butts and chicken last wknd for practice for Modesto comp......im nowhere near an expert, and hopin for best at comp but you have come to the right place for anything you need for knowledge on Q.....can't wait for the update pics

Roo-B-Q'N
04-16-2008, 05:24 PM
So what are the plans, how did you prepare, how long are you cooking it for, what temps, what wood and the all important question which way is the fat cap facing ???? We want to know. Good luck, first times are always fun.

I never got a Mista video on brisket :confused:

BobBrisket
04-16-2008, 05:31 PM
It may be ready some time by 5:00 AM tomorrow morning or later. All you need to do is wait and monitor the temp on that hunk of meat. Keep us informed. It will probably cook quicker in the drum, mine did.

scott millman
04-16-2008, 05:36 PM
OK its been a few hrs and U already have pics of it on the grill.....don't lag on us and cheat us on the update pics

Bigmista
04-16-2008, 05:37 PM
Briskets do tend to cook quicker on the drum. Unless you have some wild fluctuation in temperature, don't even open the drum for the first 5-6 hours for a 14 #'er. Just le the drum do it's job.

Bigmista
04-16-2008, 05:44 PM
I never got a Mista video on brisket :confused:

http://blip.tv/file/get/Bigmista-HowToCookABrisketOnAUDSUglyDrumSmoker587.wmv

Divemaster
04-16-2008, 05:49 PM
Brisket for breakfast.... Foods of the Gods!!!!

So while your waiting, make up a COUPLE of fatties to put on later!!!!

BBQ Grail
04-16-2008, 07:30 PM
Looking good! Kind of figure it's time for an update!

DaChief
04-16-2008, 07:34 PM
Hello....how bout an update....do I get brisket pron in the am for breakfast...Yummy!

txschutte
04-16-2008, 07:37 PM
Yep, no pron. He farked it. Been there, done that.

Hook_Line_and_Sinker
04-16-2008, 07:52 PM
I'm keeping it sealed up tight till the 6 hour mark - then pron will be taken

SMELLS GREAT - Temps are holding nicely @ 225

OK I got a fatty here what do I do with it ? I have an hour to prep it

Briskets do tend to cook quicker on the drum. Unless you have some wild fluctuation in temperature, don't even open the drum for the first 5-6 hours for a 14 #'er. Just le the drum do it's job.

Bigmista
04-16-2008, 08:01 PM
Here's the secret to fatty preparation:

1. Open the package.

2. Squeeze it on the the grate.

3. Put the lid back on the smoker.

4. Wait.

Norcoredneck
04-16-2008, 08:05 PM
What no seasoning? Let me know what time to be over, I'm hungry!

thirdeye
04-16-2008, 09:04 PM

I'm keeping it sealed up tight till the 6 hour mark - then pron will be taken

SMELLS GREAT - Temps are holding nicely @ 225

OK I got a fatty here what do I do with it ? I have an hour to prep it

I'll be interested in seeing some pictures and your review as I am a turner.....:cool:

Hook_Line_and_Sinker
04-16-2008, 09:19 PM
OK the six hour flip pron -- it was fat side down so you are seeing the fat cap after 6 hours

gave it a spritz of apple juice and tossed on some brats saving the fatty for later

I stuck it with the probe and its showing 163 at the middle of the flat

hcarter
04-16-2008, 09:22 PM
Lookin' Good!!

jeffjenkins1
04-16-2008, 10:22 PM
Lookin great! Just need the presentation pron!

Jeff

bigabyte
04-16-2008, 11:25 PM
Looks great so far!

BobBrisket
04-16-2008, 11:43 PM
Sweet!!!!

Bigmista
04-17-2008, 01:03 AM
Well?!?!?

Hook_Line_and_Sinker
04-17-2008, 03:29 AM
Just pulled it off the drum internal was 189 - foiled to let it rest

12 hours fora 14 lb brisket - god I hope its a good as it looks

Dr_KY
04-17-2008, 03:52 AM
I'll be here when you slice it. :D

Looks like a winner and the salt content from the beef stock and wooster should get it tender, how much did you use?

Hook_Line_and_Sinker
04-17-2008, 05:05 AM
well its not perfect, but tasty

it is fork tender , but bordering on dry

perhaps I was a bit to diligent on the trimming - maybe i didn't get enough injection in

I started with @ a quart of beef broth and 3 tbsp of wooster and sill had nearly half left after injecting very liberally

very flavorful , very tender , just wished it had a touch more juice to it

the ring didn't penetrate near as deep as expected but the smoky flavor was well distributed - maybe 3 fist size chunks were too Little ? fuel was Royal Oak lump @ 7 Lbs and three Hickory chunks scattered within the basket

Flipped once at 6 hours and again at 8 - so 10 hours fat down and 2 hours fat up

the fat cap is all rendered out leaving a nice crispy crust

well I give it a 3 - family and friends would love it but its not approaching the level it can be

HoosierTrooper
04-17-2008, 05:35 AM
Maybe if you'd foiled it at 163 instead of flipping might have helped it stay a little moister.

Hook_Line_and_Sinker
04-17-2008, 06:03 AM
OK got it all sliced up and packed away , the first slices, furthest away from the point, were indeed low on moisture content. as the slices progressed the moisture was creeping up and by @ 5 inches in (1/4 of the length) the moistness was quite acceptable. Once the flat overlapped the point it was drenched with juice. The dividing layer of fat was @ 3/8 to 1/2 inch and not overly pronounced.

would foiling the tip of the flat have helped ?

Dr_KY
04-17-2008, 06:30 AM
I would have used it less cooking time. I don't flip on the UDS. I also think it look great for your first brisket in the drum.

Cabntmkr1
04-17-2008, 06:38 AM
Looks Great! And great photos, too.
I agree that you should have foiled at about 160-165 f.
Anyhow, you still did a great job on your first brisket!
Be proud:razz:

Pipin' Pig
04-17-2008, 09:08 AM
Make that another that thinks you should have foiled at around 160-165. I normally will cook fat down to give some heat protection until I reach foiling temp and then flip once foiled since the foil provides protection. If there is a benefit of fat side up to allow it to baste the meat then I guess this does both.

butts a fire
04-17-2008, 10:17 AM
Looks good to me. I am also a foiler and normally foil my brisket around 165. But you can cook great brisket without the foil. Thanks for the pron I have to go eat now.

thirdeye
04-17-2008, 12:18 PM
well its not perfect, but tasty

it is fork tender , but bordering on dry

perhaps I was a bit to diligent on the trimming - maybe i didn't get enough injection in

I started with @ a quart of beef broth and 3 tbsp of wooster and sill had nearly half left after injecting very liberally

very flavorful , very tender , just wished it had a touch more juice to it

the ring didn't penetrate near as deep as expected but the smoky flavor was well distributed - maybe 3 fist size chunks were too Little ? fuel was Royal Oak lump @ 7 Lbs and three Hickory chunks scattered within the basket

Flipped once at 6 hours and again at 8 - so 10 hours fat down and 2 hours fat up

the fat cap is all rendered out leaving a nice crispy crust

well I give it a 3 - family and friends would love it but its not approaching the level it can be

OK got it all sliced up and packed away , the first slices, furthest away from the point, were indeed low on moisture content. as the slices progressed the moisture was creeping up and by @ 5 inches in (1/4 of the length) the moistness was quite acceptable. Once the flat overlapped the point it was drenched with juice. The dividing layer of fat was @ 3/8 to 1/2 inch and not overly pronounced.

would foiling the tip of the flat have helped ?

I don't trim mine hardly at all, use a similar injection and also use RO or Lazarri lump. If a 14 pounder, injected, turned out "fork tender" but was dry, I think you just went too long. On bigger briskets, cooked at low temps they tend to be done around 185 to 190 but you have to let tenderness take precedence over internal temps and pull it when it is tender. Once the pass tender, they begin to dry out.

How long did you rest it? I go about 4 hours (or longer) in an insulated cooler. This lets it cook a little and lets all the juices re-distrubute.

Another trick is to make extra injection and shoot it while it is in the plateau or toward the end of it.

Divemaster
04-17-2008, 01:53 PM
Quick question, did you add any fluid to the foil? I normally add 1/2 to 3/4 cup of apple cider when foiling and only have 1/4 to 1/2 cup after it's rested...

Looks like you did a great job, and the fun of it is that while we are never perfect, we always enjoy practicing!!!

Bigmista
04-17-2008, 02:45 PM
I add leftover injection to the foil.

Kidcurry73
04-17-2008, 02:58 PM
I remember watching a video where someone took the brisket off to wrap and rest, they wrapped it in plastic wrap and injected beef broth into the plastic wrap around the brisket. I think I am going to try this when I do my first brisket. It couldn't hurt? Looks Yummy BTW!

puff
04-17-2008, 08:31 PM
Great job on your first brisket!
:mrgreen:

Hook_Line_and_Sinker
04-17-2008, 10:13 PM
Thanks to all the Brethren for the help and support.

The sammies today are GREAT ...

I have picked up even more pointers for the next brisket and look forward to perfecting my skill in it.

I will go with fat down with a less aggressive trimming , more patience while injecting, checking for tender as well as temp, and adding liquid during the foil and hold stage.

and of course perfecting a "preparatory" rub and and injection" will be on the list too.

I figure 50 or 60 more briskets and I'll have this down pat.

I can hardly wait :grin:

Norcoredneck
04-17-2008, 10:18 PM
Where did you buy the meat? I have had a variance in tenderness/dryness with local stores.

Hook_Line_and_Sinker
04-17-2008, 11:13 PM
I got it at the Walmart in covina or is that baldwin park - off the 60 west of the 57

it was an Excell usda choice packer with a sell by date of 4/17

Norcoredneck
04-17-2008, 11:20 PM
I got it at the Walmart in covina or is that baldwin park - off the 60 west of the 57

it was an Excell usda choice packer with a sell by date of 4/17
La Puente, there Homes. Did you get jumped? At Azusa exit, grew up there. Never bought meat at Walmart. Had trouble with Albertsons and Ralphes.

Dr_KY
04-18-2008, 03:21 AM
Have you tried the one in Chino off Grand Ave?

Norcoredneck
04-18-2008, 05:29 AM
How would you know about Chino my long distance friend?:biggrin: