PDA

View Full Version : So my wife was thinkin'.....

hcarter
04-16-2008, 07:23 AM
That she wants me to cook for her school picnic (Bohecker College). I am gonna need an inexpensive, but large cooker pretty quickly. I don't know how many people to expect, this is only their 2nd year doing this. It's not a large school though. They know me by name and I don't go there. Anyway, I'm just looking for ideas, I don't want to be caught flatfooted if they decide they want me to cook. I'm gonna post a menu later just to get you guys' input. Start thinkin' about those cookers! Thanks Guys.

smokinit
04-16-2008, 08:07 AM
Whats your budget and you may need to consider renting.

hcarter
04-16-2008, 08:35 AM
Renting? That's a good idea. But, where would I try to rent something like that? I know places like home depot and lowe's have tool rentals, but I don't think I've ever seen anything like this.

Roo-B-Q'N
04-16-2008, 08:41 AM
Look up rental places in the phone book. The kind that rent the ditchwhiches, and party tents and the like. If they don't rent them ask them who might.

Bigmista
04-16-2008, 09:35 AM
Maybe you could hook up with one of the Ohio Brethren and either rent from him or cut him in on the deal and get him to help cook.

hcarter
04-16-2008, 10:01 AM
Maybe you could hook up with one of the Ohio Brethren and either rent from him or cut him in on the deal and get him to help cook.

Yeah, I was thinking about that, but to be honest, I was simply gonna do it out of the kindness of my heart. I really don't expect much, if any money to come from this. I simply did not think it would be fair to ask someone to make that same sacrfice and get nothing from it.

ZBQ
04-16-2008, 10:42 AM
Sending PM.:-D

bertkemtncurs
04-16-2008, 11:00 AM
Check out www.wholehogbbq.net (http://www.wholehogbbq.net). He's located in Westerville and rents out his smoker. He's catered some events I've done at work.

gotwood
04-16-2008, 11:03 AM
"So my wife was thinkin'..... "

that's your first problem....whenever mine starts to do this I
A. Have to go check on the rental property
B. Have to go into work early for someone
C. Think I'm going to take a long bike ride to my friend who needs some company

Divemaster
04-16-2008, 11:11 AM

In talking with my female friends, that's the same list they come up with when we make that statement....:wink:

ZBQ
04-16-2008, 11:15 AM
Check out www.wholehogbbq.net (http://www.wholehogbbq.net). He's located in Westerville and rents out his smoker. He's catered some events I've done at work.

I just saw an add for him on Craigslist (http://columbus.craigslist.org/wan/610366438.html).

He's wanting 200 bucks a day to rent his smoker!:shock:

I'll admit, I've never priced renting a smoker but that seems a bit high to me just to RENT one.

But, maybe I'm just a cheap bastige. Who knows?

BBQ Bandit
04-16-2008, 11:20 AM
Didnt see in the original post... how big is the expected size?

One can only imagine a big difference cooking for 100 or 1,000.

Or a fleet of smaller cookers... (WSM/Kettle/offset)

BobBrisket
04-16-2008, 11:36 AM
Sounds like you need to get a head count first. That will pretty much help all these guys that have experience doing this, help you out. By college, do you mean, faculty and staff only, or are students expected too?
I'd be worried about a bunch of unexpected, broke, and hungry college students crashing the party and driving the final head count up. My buddies and I managed to sneak into a few faculty luncheons in college. We just said we were Teacher Assisstants and in we went. Free food is free food.

Hope it works out for you. Remember, you can also cook food a few days before and the fridge or freeze it for the day of. I don't hink I'd attempt brisket or butts on the same day unless you have lots of time prior to the time scheduled to eat.

bertkemtncurs
04-16-2008, 11:39 AM
He's wanting 200 bucks a day to rent his smoker!:shock:

I'll admit, I've never priced renting a smoker but that seems a bit high to me just to RENT one.

But, maybe I'm just a cheap bastige. Who knows?

Ooof. I didn't know how much he charged!

BobBrisket
04-16-2008, 11:50 AM
That fee sounds about right. There are a couple local guys who rent out their pits for about that amount. There's also a deposit fee. Depends on the size of the pit, the guys here have big trailer mounted pits.

hcarter
04-16-2008, 11:57 AM
Sounds like you need to get a head count first. That will pretty much help all these guys that have experience doing this, help you out. By college, do you mean, faculty and staff only, or are students expected too?
I'd be worried about a bunch of unexpected, broke, and hungry college students crashing the party and driving the final head count up. My buddies and I managed to sneak into a few faculty luncheons in college. We just said we were Teacher Assisstants and in we went. Free food is free food.

Hope it works out for you. Remember, you can also cook food a few days before and the fridge or freeze it for the day of. I don't hink I'd attempt brisket or butts on the same day unless you have lots of time prior to the time scheduled to eat.

That was my thinking too....I went to OSU, 50,000 students alone. No we're talking maybe a couple hundred. Not your typical ' starving college student.' I think they house the whole college in one building. I've told my wife, head count is key. I'm really excited to get a chance to do this, I just don't want to mess up.

ZBQ
04-16-2008, 11:58 AM
That fee sounds about right. There are a couple local guys who rent out their pits for about that amount. There's also a deposit fee. Depends on the size of the pit, the guys here have big trailer mounted pits.

Wow, maybe I could........no.........I could NEVER rent out Tilly to someone I didn't know. Nope. Not even for 2 GRAND!

hcarter
04-16-2008, 12:00 PM

I suppose you're right, That's gotta be up there with "You know what would be nice...?" when you're already eyes deep into the original project.:grin::grin:

BobBrisket
04-16-2008, 12:07 PM
Wow, maybe I could........no.........I could NEVER rent out Tilly to someone I didn't know. Nope. Not even for 2 GRAND!

The pits these guys have and homemade jobs that can be used as a smoker or a large grill by putting coals in the meat chamber. I would also worry about damage, theft, and insurance issues with renting out a pit too. I believe they let you have it for 24 hours depending on whether you will be smoking or just grilling on it.
I wouldn't be willing to rent my stuff out either. Many times it never returns the way you sent it off.

BobBrisket
04-16-2008, 12:10 PM
That was my thinking too....I went to OSU, 50,000 students alone. No we're talking maybe a couple hundred. Not your typical ' starving college student.' I think they house the whole college in one building. I've told my wife, head count is key. I'm really excited to get a chance to do this, I just don't want to mess up.

Things like chicken(thighs, wings, legs, even breasts) lend themselves to same day cooking as would fatties. Brisket and butt yeild a good bit of meat, but are more labor intensive, pulling and slicing.