PDA

View Full Version : Big question for all brothers...

MTHank
04-15-2008, 11:43 PM
"HOW IN HELL" :shock: do ya'll find time to do smokes as often as you do?? I just don't get it and would like to know. Chit I can't even find time to build my UDS and have most everything I need to make a couple.

BBQ Grail
04-15-2008, 11:47 PM
It probably seems like a lot more than it really is because there are some many of us. I grill a couple of times a week and most weekends. Smoking is only a couple of times a month.

The UDS has really helped me smoke more. I can crank it up in the morning and it requires so little maintenance that I can do yardwork or remodel work while it chugs away.

smooookin
04-15-2008, 11:47 PM
one word, PRIORITIES. :biggrin:

actually, I can usually smoke at work, and I am usually off all winter.

Just Pulin' Pork
04-15-2008, 11:50 PM
I have a very understanding wife and daughter! If I could afford it I would compete every weekend!

smokeandbeer
04-15-2008, 11:56 PM
I usually smoke once or twice a week on my days off. Doesn't mean I'm doing a 10-12 hour brisket every week. Beer can chicken only takes about 3-4 hours and is a family favorite.

CaptGrumpy
04-15-2008, 11:57 PM
Somebody has gotta do it!

frankenswine
04-16-2008, 01:40 AM
one word, PRIORITIES. :biggrin:

actually, I can usually smoke at work, and I am usually off all winter.

I agree. Got to keep your priorities straight..:-D

Dr_KY
04-16-2008, 05:39 AM
.......Through the magic of the UDS.

Cabntmkr1
04-16-2008, 05:56 AM
Sheer determination!:lol:
Actually, I usually only smoke on pay weekends, every other weekend.

Dale P
04-16-2008, 06:02 AM
A man has got to eat.

smokinit
04-16-2008, 08:10 AM
Ancient Chinese secret:biggrin:

jeffjenkins1
04-16-2008, 08:14 AM
I just do it on the weekends. With my new UDS, I don't even have to watch it!

Jeff

kickassbbq
04-16-2008, 08:20 AM
Find a Home Based Business!!!!!
PARTY!!!!!!

ZILLA
04-16-2008, 08:25 AM
One of the tricks I use is to invite my wife's family over or agree to allow my SIL to stay the weekend. That frees me up to cook or what ever.

timzcardz
04-16-2008, 08:38 AM
I find that if I don't sleep I can accomplish a lot!

This past Saturday night the wife and boys went to bed and I stayed up for a bit. 1am I still didn't feel tired so I started painting the entrance and back halls in the house. 5:15am, all done. Clean up, sit down and have a beer, and then climb into bed at 6am, for a little nap.

That really freed up my Sunday for plaing wiht fire and beef, not to mention how shocked everyone was when they got up in the morning to find the hall looking different from the way it did when they went to bed!

RichardF
04-16-2008, 08:50 AM
Most here don't need to work and have wives and children that understand the smoking imperative. Why do you ask? Having a problem freeing up 12 to 20 hours a couple of times a week to cook? That's a shame. You clearly need to pray harder to which ever g-d you worship and ask for a better life. Maybe try chanting the Tao Te Ching...

Porky
04-16-2008, 08:52 AM
Grill as often as I can using the gasser and/or the kettle. Chicken on the kettle takes an 1-1 1/2 hours with some wood chips for flavor and I smoke when time allows on the weekends in the BWS & Bar B Chef.

hd4me
04-16-2008, 09:14 AM
I use the gasser a couple time s a week or the BGE if I am making steaks. I smoke every weekend that I can, Its going to be tough for the next couple of weekends. I will be out of town.

Harbormaster
04-16-2008, 09:43 AM
I usually only smoke on pay weekends, every other weekend.
Same here. I go to the bank, get my paltry allowance and head to the meat store to pick up fare for the weekend. Been to cold (and dark) until now to justify grilling after work. That'll be changin' now.

Bearbonez
04-16-2008, 09:56 AM
I find time on the weekends sometimes. I dont know when I'll be able to cook outside next. The forest service issued a red flag warning on the mountain yesterday, so I may be fishing with my time off for a while till we get some rain.

Sledneck
04-16-2008, 09:59 AM
I don't know if it is a question of time for me. The last time I cooked was battle of the brethren contest last october and the next time i cook is this weekend in Salisbury. I just don't find it as enjoyable cooking at home like i used to.

tjv
04-16-2008, 10:00 AM
I go in spurts.....the freezer is full of good intention cooks that have yet to get done. Anytime the wife raises an eyebrow, which is not often, I respond.......would you rather have me out at the beer joints.....seems to settle things down fast, LOL! Oh ya, helps to have a wife you hates to cook.

T

Cliff H.
04-16-2008, 10:35 AM
I am starting to collect a freezer full of meats also.

Overnight cooks are your friend.

MTHank
04-16-2008, 10:35 AM
OK… Let see if I understand this.

“PRIORITIES” as smoookin and frankenswine states? Could be a major problem, I’ll try to work on that!

“Understanding WIFE”? as jonmadichris states? Not a problem, I have the best Wife one could ask for and understanding? Look in the dictionary… Should be a pic of my wife. She is great!

CaptGrunpy “Somebody has gotta do it!”? Even with all your fishing? I am jealous! Sure would like to!

Dr KY “.......Through the magic of the UDS.” One of my problems… Getting my UDS built.

jeffjenkins1 “UDS” again! Just gonna have to find time to build it.

kickassbbq “Find a Home Based Business!!!!!” Been looking for years and been to the cleaners on a couple of the fast talking make it sound fool proof ones. I would like nothing more than to be able to stay home and work... Any suggestions? I am eager to hear all suggestions, for real!

ZILLA. Don’t have any relatives in Montana; all are in California, Oklahoma or Florida. So I have no excuse for me to use. When they visit they want to be on the go… site seeing.

timzcardz, Good idea but loosing sleep is not an option, have a day job. They expect me to be awake on the job… A bit narrow minded they are.

RichardF, I do work, have a GREAT wife… Freeing up the time? That is a problem… I have a GREAT life with my wife and she really understands me. She even wants me to retire! BUT?

Harbormaster, Same here with being to dark, cold is not a problem. I will try to smoke or grill @ -20 in 3 feet of snow if it is one of the few times I have to cook. Don’t get home from work till about 7.

tjv, My freezer is full of good intentions as well including a 10 lb wild turkey breast. Never get the raised eyebrow thing from the Mrs. I have not done the beer joint thing for may, many years. But you bring up a good point…. My wife loves to cook but with a kicker, she won’t hesitate at the times when I have time to fire up the “Q” and she would eat my smoked Baby Backs everyday.

Conclusion: You all have great suggestions some apply some don’t. But that one “PIORITIES” seems to be a sticking point for me I guess. I work 4 days, 10+ hours, ideal situation you say…. It is BUT, one day I set aside to do things for my wife. 2 left you say… One day I do the things I need to do around the house or for the house like it is time to start getting fire wood, need 6 to 8 cords for winter. I also help lots of other people… why sometimes I wonder but I just can’t say “NO”. I also have this other distraction… Fishing and Hunting, the reason I moved here from California 10 years ago and before I found the BERTHERN site and realized there was more to grillin steaks and chicken and that I enjoyed smoking and BBQ’n.

OK Sorry Brothers my Rant is over…. Thanks all of you , I'll just have to work on it…

milehigh
04-16-2008, 11:14 AM
And........... They don't live in Montana, let alone NW Montana Hank.:-D

trp said
It probably seems like a lot more than it really is because there are some many of us.

I used to think the same thing.:wink:

Paul

Divemaster
04-16-2008, 11:31 AM
I guess priorities would be the big thing...

I too have the freezer full of meat and I just ordered a case of briskets and a case of dino bones...

And get this, it's just me and my daughter and she is away a collage!!!!

I've started cooking for others... I take orders and then when time is available, do the cook... I've gotten used to preparing all of the meat on Tuesday, and then doing an all night cook on Wednesday... Remember, remote thermometers can be your friend... Sure, I'm a little tired come Thursday but normally get a good 6+ hours of sleep during the night... Thursday morning all of the meat goes into the fridge and then when I get home from work it's sliced or pulled, weighed, cryo-sucked, marked and put in the freezer... Saturday morning is for deliveries. Ironicaly, most of my orders come from the guys at my cigar lounge so I show up with a couple of coolers and wait while enjoying a cigar and a good cup of coffee...

This schedule allows me to enjoy the weekend and even do a practice cook...

BobBrisket
04-16-2008, 01:07 PM
With two kids under the age of three, I can only do overnight smokes most of the time when they are all asleep. I grill most of the time but even grilling is done once a week at the least and only a few times a month. The last time I smoked was about 2 weeks ago when I did brisket on the UDS for the first time.

With the weather getting better, the frequency will go up a bit more. Either Saturday or Sunday is spent outside working on the yard, so I will toss something like chicken or a butt while I'm outside working.

Crüe-B-Cüe
04-16-2008, 03:47 PM
Here is the view out of my office door...

http://hockey-love.com/images/uds5.jpg

We have a home based business. It's not my home, but hey, it's a home. It's actually at my father's house, but I only live 2 doors down. Whooda thunk a couple of good 'ol boys from southern Alabama would accidentally end up in an internet and Ebay based company selling car lifts? We sold them locally for years. I put one on Ebay, soon after built a website. Now we don't even worry about local business. Sometimes the simplest things turn into opportunities. You just have to make do with the time you have.

Ron_L
04-16-2008, 04:13 PM
Working from home helps :-D I am on a video call right now and I have another one at 4, then I'll go out back and fire up Eggbert to grill some pork chops for dinner tonight. I grill almost nightly when I am not traveling but i only Q every other weekend, depending on how busy we are.

Just Pulin' Pork
04-16-2008, 04:22 PM
I find that if I don't sleep I can accomplish a lot!

This past Saturday night the wife and boys went to bed and I stayed up for a bit. 1am I still didn't feel tired so I started painting the entrance and back halls in the house. 5:15am, all done. Clean up, sit down and have a beer, and then climb into bed at 6am, for a little nap.

That really freed up my Sunday for plaing wiht fire and beef, not to mention how shocked everyone was when they got up in the morning to find the hall looking different from the way it did when they went to bed!

Dude that is pretty funny! I just read this to my co worker here at work and had a good laugh! Thanks for sharing!

smokeandbeer
04-16-2008, 04:30 PM
I usually smoke once or twice a week on my days off. Doesn't mean I'm doing a 10-12 hour brisket every week. Beer can chicken only takes about 3-4 hours and is a family favorite.

I forgot to mention that I work second shift, so I can get the honey-do's done before I go to work at 3:30 M-F, so my weekends are usually pretty free for whatever I want to do.

thillin
04-16-2008, 04:51 PM
With an Egg you put the meat on, sleep for 8 hours, remove meat and cooler, do chores, then pull the meat from the cooler. Or do quick cooks. I just smoked a couple of pounds of Slovaceks Beef sausage. Took me a couple of hours from start to finish.

icemn62
04-17-2008, 04:19 PM
I let my Girlfriend and my family know that I plan to cook(smoke something) on the weekend. They know I am going to be busy doing that and leave me alone other than the "is it ready yet?"

Also I think the truth is that there are so many of us that on any given day at least one of us is smoking/grilling something.

jpw23
04-17-2008, 04:20 PM
"HOW IN HELL" :shock: do ya'll find time to do smokes as often as you do?? I just don't get it and would like to know. Chit I can't even find time to build my UDS and have most everything I need to make a couple.Easy.....I ignore my entire family most of the time:biggrin:

Pipin' Pig
04-17-2008, 04:33 PM
I work at home about half time and will start cooks before work for dinner occasionally. I do lots of parties so that gives me the opportunity as well and when doing honey dos around the house I normally have the smoker going. That said; it could explain why our molding replacement project is taking 3 months for two rooms :shock:

Dr_KY
04-17-2008, 06:14 PM
I need a gasser!!!!

backporchbbq
04-17-2008, 06:20 PM
I smoke once maybe 2 times a month. I am so busy, I work 3 jobs. It annoys the hell out of me but I have to pay the bills and try and get somewhat ahead.

DaChief
04-17-2008, 07:25 PM
Weekends for me....if it's during the week it's either the grill or a quickie:shock:....meatloaf or something.....

Jeremiah
04-17-2008, 08:18 PM
Definitely get a cooker that allows for overnights, then you mostly have to plan prep and cleanup time. That works for me. Sometimes on my days off I'll start a cook at 8am, depending on what it is and what I'm cooking it for.

JD McGee
04-17-2008, 08:46 PM
Since I took up this wonderful hobby I've set aside one day a week to play...Sunday is "Smoke Day" at the JD household! It also helps to have an awesome wife...a LOT! :biggrin:

JD McGee
04-17-2008, 08:47 PM
Since I took up this wonderful hobby I've set aside one day a week to play...Sunday is "Smoke Day" at the JD household! It also helps to have an awesome wife...a LOT! :biggrin:

Mods...please delete...I can't find the button! :confused:

MTHank
04-17-2008, 11:15 PM
I have the "AWESOME WIFE" :biggrin:... Now if I can just get a little time to build that "UDS overnight smoker"... I am just gonna have to get my priorities straight and do it!!! :eek:

Mark
04-18-2008, 11:43 AM
I just play sociopath (incoherent mumbling, drooling with occaisional loud cursing at the sky) and people pretty much leave me alone.

jestridge
04-18-2008, 07:35 PM
Idid 2 cooks at school last week.

Rick's Tropical Delight
04-18-2008, 08:47 PM
there's twelve of me :biggrin:

you gotta eat

Double Bogey
04-18-2008, 10:04 PM
Well to start with, I retired a couple of years ago and my wife recently took an early retirement. Getting rid of the pesky stuff called "Work" leaves a lot more time for the good stuff called "Fun". Actually my wife has gotten into it as well. She has gotten on a kick and has plans to attend all of the Egg Fests. So far, we have hit Florida (twice) Texas and will be at Waldorf (second time) in a couple of weeks. Seems like we do most of our cooking on the grill or smoker.
Larry

bigabyte
04-18-2008, 10:49 PM
OK, I'm not going to pussyfoot around here. This BBQ stuff, is a freaking OBSESSION!!!!!!!

That's right. I'll be up late tonight making stuff, getting more ideas, probably running to the store AGAIN (been twice to both Sams and regular store today, plus once to the butcher), and guess what I'll be doing tomorrow? That's right....LANDSCAPING!!!! But before I start, I'll fire up that other WSM and a couple hours later toss on a Ham, Brisket, Butt and some Brats in an onion and beer bath (in the smoker of all places). Then around lunch, I'll fire up the grill, crisp up the brats, then bag up the leftover brats. Then I'll get back to work, and then around dinner time, get to the Brisket and Butt. Yep, pulled pork and sliced Brisket for dinner. But guess what? After dinner, when I go to slave in the yard some more (hell, I'm the one that's wanting this yard stuff so I'm not REALLY slaving), that WSM will still be going because the flat from that brisket will be chopped up and put in a perforated pan for burnt ends. Finally, after it is dark and I am completely beat down from all that digging of holes, plating of trees and bushes, luggin around compost and soil, etc, guess what? There will be the most heavenly treat I can imagine waitng for me. BURNT ENDS. These are why I still bother breathing. Burnt Ends are God's gift to all mankind. To live without burnt ends is a life in Hell my friend. These will be my reward for Q'ing. I can not make them without first Q'ing up a brisket or a butt (pork burnt ends are fantastic too).

Now, I would like to sit back and pretend, or maybe even explain away how all my actions from this weekend make perfect sense, but in reality, I am freaking warped out of my skull. I have BBQ on the brain. Since you are actually reading and posting on a BBQ forum on the internet in your spare time, you likely have this same affliction. Soon, you will no longer ask how it is people have time to BBQ so much, but instead will be asking why everything else is cutting into your BBQ time. You will evolve to where you can both BBQ and maintain a mirage of normalcy. Appearances are everything to the outside world. Don't let them know how screwed up you really are.:wink:

jestridge
04-19-2008, 10:37 AM
It like going to church you have to make time. I am 57 and BBQ is the only hobby I have beside gardening.

MTHank
04-19-2008, 04:37 PM
OK, I'm not going to pussyfoot around here. This BBQ stuff, is a freaking OBSESSION!!!!!!!

That's right. I'll be up late tonight making stuff, getting more ideas, probably running to the store AGAIN (been twice to both Sams and regular store today, plus once to the butcher), and guess what I'll be doing tomorrow? That's right....LANDSCAPING!!!! But before I start, I'll fire up that other WSM and a couple hours later toss on a Ham, Brisket, Butt and some Brats in an onion and beer bath (in the smoker of all places). Then around lunch, I'll fire up the grill, crisp up the brats, then bag up the leftover brats. Then I'll get back to work, and then around dinner time, get to the Brisket and Butt. Yep, pulled pork and sliced Brisket for dinner. But guess what? After dinner, when I go to slave in the yard some more (hell, I'm the one that's wanting this yard stuff so I'm not REALLY slaving), that WSM will still be going because the flat from that brisket will be chopped up and put in a perforated pan for burnt ends. Finally, after it is dark and I am completely beat down from all that digging of holes, plating of trees and bushes, luggin around compost and soil, etc, guess what? There will be the most heavenly treat I can imagine waitng for me. BURNT ENDS. These are why I still bother breathing. Burnt Ends are God's gift to all mankind. To live without burnt ends is a life in Hell my friend. These will be my reward for Q'ing. I can not make them without first Q'ing up a brisket or a butt (pork burnt ends are fantastic too).

Now, I would like to sit back and pretend, or maybe even explain away how all my actions from this weekend make perfect sense, but in reality, I am freaking warped out of my skull. I have BBQ on the brain. Since you are actually reading and posting on a BBQ forum on the internet in your spare time, you likely have this same affliction. Soon, you will no longer ask how it is people have time to BBQ so much, but instead will be asking why everything else is cutting into your BBQ time. You will evolve to where you can both BBQ and maintain a mirage of normalcy. Appearances are everything to the outside world. Don't let them know how screwed up you really are.:wink:

bigabyte...

I sure am glad you sugar coated your reply but you have to quit beating around the bush and just say what is on your mind :shock:.

But I think you are right and I know... probably sooner than I know that it will be that things will be getting in the way of my BBQing instead of I have way too much to do to BBQ. I think I am looking forwad to that time. Priorities... Just PRIORITIES :biggrin:

Screwed up person in training :wink: