PDA

View Full Version : Will the owner of this UDS please stand up?

darthtrader
04-14-2008, 09:08 PM
I saved this UDS picture a few months ago as I was collecting pics for ideas on how to build mine. I looked over all the pics again this weekend and this drum caught my eye because it's exactly how I want to build mine.

Will the owner of this drum please PM me or reply to this post? If you're willing to divulge the information, I'd like to know what size those vent holes are. You all can chime in too, Brethren! :biggrin:

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll137/DarthTraderSD/drumvent.jpg

smoke-n-my-i's
04-14-2008, 09:16 PM
The lid vent looks like 2" pipe, the air intake maybe 1" pipe, if not, it will be 3/4", but guess is 1".

swamprb
04-14-2008, 09:18 PM
Sorry-not me, too many dead presidents went into that to be one of mine!

Nice though!

N8man
04-14-2008, 09:21 PM
That, indeed, looks like a 1" diameter Vertical Air Intake Pipe and a 2" Exhaust threaded into the Bung. Outstanding Design!!!

txschutte
04-14-2008, 09:26 PM
Not 100% sure, but I think it's Bbq Bubba's first UDS.

capri man
04-14-2008, 09:28 PM
to nice for mine!!:-P

Barbarian
04-14-2008, 09:33 PM
That, indeed, looks like a 1" diameter Vertical Air Intake Pipe and a 2" Exhaust threaded into the Bung. Outstanding Design!!!

What he said.

darthtrader
04-14-2008, 10:00 PM
Ain't it a pretty drum? I'm in love.

Bbq Bubba
04-14-2008, 10:17 PM
Not 100% sure, but I think it's Bbq Bubba's first UDS.

Close but not mine...those are 1" intakes and a 2" exhaust.
The riser looks cool but save the money on pipe and use a ball valve at the bottom, you'll be happier you did! :wink:

ssbbqguy
04-14-2008, 10:40 PM
no offense meant, but why would one want to reach down to the bottom for adj. We have found we get more of a convection effect when we use tubing from top to bottom, combined with a regular flue. I'm working on my website now, pics that way.On the ones we sell, we use two separate pipes, sized from 1 3/4" to 2 1/2" with flue sizes 3 1/2" to 5". To anyone interested, I should have several at Rock and Ribs, Sfd., Mo. this weekend. Thanks, Steve.

Bbq Bubba
04-14-2008, 10:50 PM
no offense meant, but why would one want to reach down to the bottom for adj. We have found we get more of a convection effect when we use tubing from top to bottom, combined with a regular flue. I'm working on my website now, pics that way.On the ones we sell, we use two separate pipes, sized from 1 3/4" to 2 1/2" with flue sizes 3 1/2" to 5". To anyone interested, I should have several at Rock and Ribs, Sfd., Mo. this weekend. Thanks, Steve.

No offense taken, but until you post pics, your kits don't even sound anything like the UDS' that we are building!

BobBrisket
04-14-2008, 10:58 PM

I think you'll find that there's more than one way to build a UDS that's highly efficient without spending a lot of change. The rule here is, "No pics, then it didn't happen."

Just curious, but what does one of your drums cost or is it just the kit? It would be interesting to see one.

Have you checked out the UDS thread yet? You'll see tons of drums designs here!!
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436&highlight=uds+thread

ssbbqguy
04-15-2008, 12:28 AM
http://s288.photobucket.com/albums/11180/ssbbqguy/I went photobucket and I think alot more pics went out than planned. The kits and smokers I'm selling are targeted for the non-mechanical, too busy, or the cook that is considering a ceramic. I have seen some great looking units, some not so great. This design flows alot more air on demand, regulates quickly and no bending over.I'm just offering a different approach to the same end,great food soon. Steve

BobBrisket
04-15-2008, 12:45 AM
http://s288.photobucket.com/albums/11180/ssbbqguy/I went photobucket and I think alot more pics went out than planned. The kits and smokers I'm selling are targeted for the non-mechanical, too busy, or the cook that is considering a ceramic. I have seen some great looking units, some not so great. This design flows alot more air on demand, regulates quickly and no bending over.I'm just offering a different approach to the same end,great food soon. Steve

What would be your critique of the ones that "were not so great?" Do you mean looks, design, approach to building? We're just very curious. At least I am, in finding out how air intake and exhaust were measured etc. What tools would be required to install one of your kits?

ssbbqguy
04-15-2008, 01:46 AM
On the ones not so great, what I should of said was along the safety lines, I truly worry that someone may think any drum may suitable to build, which is not the case. Unlined, non painted or burned -off food grade type would be my preferance. I thought I saw a zep brand, though unlined would concern me. Safety only was my thought. I have seen a great deal of passion regarding UDS. To any that took offense none meant. I am new to this site, I can learn.Steve

darthtrader
04-15-2008, 02:16 AM

Pictures, please? :mrgreen:

Dr_KY
04-15-2008, 02:29 AM
Fixed it for you...

http://s288.photobucket.com/albums/ll180/ssbbqguy/?action=view&current=picture001.jpg"

darthtrader
04-15-2008, 02:36 AM
Whoa! And how much is this kit? This is quite elaborate. It looks like I could distill vodka with it or have it shoot up into the stratosphere or something.

ssbbqguy
04-15-2008, 02:59 AM
Dr KY, thank you much for correcting pics. I have had a hard time trying to explain what I meant by building this design. By changing sizes of components,i.e. intake and exhaust sizes, you can make a cooker purr to roar. I just like the extra airflow. Thanks again, Steve I will list prices in an ad, yet to be composed, so it goes in the the correct area. I am just glad to show a different design, more food for thought.

Dr_KY
04-15-2008, 03:30 AM
No problem. Question- The exhaust looks welded on does the kit come with a mig or tig welder? Not that it maters so as long as one or the other is included I just need you paypay address.:wink:

Nice looking drum ya got there.:cool:

Several members have a similar set up but I couldn't tell you the cost involved...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=569370&postcount=818

I'm interested to se what sort of ash pan/ basket you are using/selling.

Smokin Gator
04-15-2008, 08:36 AM
A dual exhaust intake... I love it!!!

hcarter
04-15-2008, 09:13 AM
If I could build that, I'd be building as fast as I could so I could sell some. I am certainly in the class of "not mechanically inclined" people. I would certainly like to give it a shot though. Whaddya say ssbbqguy?:biggrin::biggrin: Just kiddin' with ya!

BobBrisket
04-15-2008, 10:54 AM
No offense taken, it's just that you mention all these great designs, but there weren't any pics for us to look at. As luck would have it, now I'm at work and can't see the pics cause they're blocked, so I'll have to wait till I get home.:mad:

I'm assuming a minimum of a drill, wrenches, step bits, and maybe a jigsaw are the minimum tools needed? I'm guessing, as I can't see the pics.

Barbarian
04-15-2008, 11:23 AM
Can't tell for sure, but seems the bottom rack is not far above the fire. Have you just made a large WSM?

h20loo
04-15-2008, 11:36 AM
A lot of us guys are like missionaries and want a UDS on every porch!!! I kind of like that different people are offering completed barrels or kits or just sources for barrels. It just means more barrels out there and more posts on the UDS thread! Everyone has different needs and I have more people asking me for a UDS like I'm using, than I want to supply. Also the first few I did were fun because I was experimenting and it was different. Now I figure that if I drive to pick up the barrel, do a couple burns and wire brush it out, then gather the hardware and welding and tutorial on using it-that my barrel should sell for $250. I could put in less time on my job and make more than that on a weekend. Instead I'm still giving them for the cost of the hardware(25). I'm on my 6th one and the last for a while. I'll suggest they look to someone with a kit or complete barrel or build it themselves.

Its kind of like my old car. I'm pretty proud of the fact that I built it myself but I still like the cars that are built from a catalogue. Lots of room for everybody.

Bottles 'n Bones BBQ
04-15-2008, 11:49 AM
Not mine but by Gawd that looks exactly like the one sitting in my garage waiting to be painted!!! Hell, even the ball valve's in the same spot...

2" Exhaust, 1" Intake, 3/4" Nips (x2)...

I saved this UDS picture a few months ago as I was collecting pics for ideas on how to build mine. I looked over all the pics again this weekend and this drum caught my eye because it's exactly how I want to build mine.

Will the owner of this drum please PM me or reply to this post? If you're willing to divulge the information, I'd like to know what size those vent holes are. You all can chime in too, Brethren! :biggrin:

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll137/DarthTraderSD/drumvent.jpg

darthtrader
04-15-2008, 12:16 PM
One thing I'm concerned about with this exhaust design is how to choke the fire off when I'm done with the cook. Do you all just let the remaining coals burn out? Maybe a magnet sheet over the 2 inch exhaust will do the trick. I believe I saw a UDS picture of that recently.

Bottles 'n Bones BBQ
04-15-2008, 12:26 PM
The owner of said UDS would be PapaQ...
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=552263#post552263

As for the coals, I save 'em. Not sure if sheet magnets would melt or not, on the exhaust side though. Tinfoil, shop rag, or a 2" plug from the hardware store would work.

ipls3355
04-15-2008, 12:30 PM
As for the coals, I save 'em. Not sure if sheet magnets would melt or not, on the exhaust side though. Tinfoil, shop rag, or a 2" plug from the hardware store would work.
I have 8 holes drilled in my drum lid. I cover them with sheet magnets when done. It works great.

PaPaQ
04-15-2008, 02:58 PM
That would be my UDS, just got back on line from a direct lightning strike Friday night. OUCH!!! Still don't have everything fixed yet. The intakes are 1" and I have added a ball valve on the bottom intake and thinking about taking the 90 and nipple off the other side. I do believe it will draw a lot better with the valves on the bottom.

PaPaQ
04-15-2008, 03:00 PM
One thing I'm concerned about with this exhaust design is how to choke the fire off when I'm done with the cook. Do you all just let the remaining coals burn out? Maybe a magnet sheet over the 2 inch exhaust will do the trick. I believe I saw a UDS picture of that recently.

I have a plug that screws into the 90 on the exhaust, works pretty good.

crome
04-15-2008, 03:04 PM
i have the 8 holes in my lid also,i just close off the intakes to shut it down.by the time we are done eating,the drum is already out....man i love cooken on the UDS !

Bbq Bubba
04-15-2008, 05:58 PM
Can't tell for sure, but seems the bottom rack is not far above the fire. Have you just made a large WSM?

Thats what i was thinking, interested on seeing the inside...:shock:

That would be my UDS, just got back on line from a direct lightning strike Friday night. OUCH!!! Still don't have everything fixed yet. The intakes are 1" and I have added a ball valve on the bottom intake and thinking about taking the 90 and nipple off the other side. I do believe it will draw a lot better with the valves on the bottom.

Thank-you.....:rolleyes:

darthtrader
04-17-2008, 12:40 PM
Iiiinteresting update, PaPaQ. I was all set to do vertical pipe for intake, but now I'm questioning it since you said the bottom nipples do better.

h20loo
04-17-2008, 01:55 PM
Put your intakes wherever you want them in keeping with the UDS thread. I have done them many ways and they all can work. The barrels I have made for others have had a 1 1/2" intake straight out with a sliding flap, two other barrels were done with htree 3/4" ID pipe with caps and one tap and my two favourites are still the 1 1/2" pipe running from the inside centre of the barrel ,out and up the side with a control there. My preference has more to do with snow drifts as high as my barrel and no desire to bend over than performance however I can't say its better or worse than the others. All my barrels have 2 inch exhaust on normal lids. All the barrels were able to work as well as any I've seen but none were a "you gotta do it this way".
The only major performance gains I have found is simply placing a piece of cardboard over my lid. On a cold freezing rain day it made a difference of over 20 degrees.

I've always been a "dual exhaust" guy so I have to admit that this new kit would be right up my alley . Now if someone could get a nice rumble out of the exhaust then that would catch my interest!!