PDA

View Full Version : Whose got a pit with a barrel and an upright?

jtfisher63
04-14-2008, 05:07 PM
I need some help here. I'm looking to see some pics of pits with a horizonal with an attached upright. What I am looking for is the connection between the two. I have a Klose clone sort of with a 24" diameter barrel that is 72" long and a 24" X 24" X 48" upright. The hole between the two is 7" X 12" and it is located fairly low on the barrel. My problem is that I can't get the temp up in the upright at all! I have some homemade tuning plates running all the way across the bottom right over to the upright opening. The tuning plates aren't that thick though. I still can't get the temp above 150* with the barrel running 275*! I'm thinking I either need to make the hole larger or move it up or both. So what do you guys pits have between the two chambers? Any ideas here guys? Thanks.

jtfisher63
04-15-2008, 03:28 PM
I found this pic from Brother Mitch. Does this look like what most pits look like in between the upright and horizonal? Because on mine the hole is considerably smaller.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg123/mitch_in_lincoln/CleaniningtheGatornTuningPlates0-4.jpg

Slamdunkpro
04-15-2008, 03:34 PM
Here's what my Pitts & Spitts looks like with the rack removed
http://www.slamdunkpro.com/Resources/BBQTP_1.jpg
The bottom half of the main chamber is open.

jtfisher63
04-15-2008, 04:29 PM
Here's what my Pitts & Spitts looks like with the rack removed
http://www.slamdunkpro.com/Resources/BBQTP_1.jpg
The bottom half of the main chamber is open.

Thanks, but what does the wall to left look like? The one in between the horizonal and vertical chambers? Thanks.

Fastball
04-15-2008, 04:59 PM
Jason, that is your problem. You need a bigger hole. When I built mine, I had the same problem. I cut the wall out from between the horizontal and vertical, but made it so that I can put it back. I've never put it back and it works great. I can run my vertical at a higher temp than the horizontal now (if I raise the tongue of the trailer up a bit....the vertical is on the tongue end).

Bottles 'n Bones BBQ
04-15-2008, 05:10 PM
The opening to the upright on my Klose BYC was the entire face of the 20" horizontal pipe. It had a baffle you can pop in and out to drop the temp of the upright...

Brett

Slamdunkpro
04-15-2008, 05:18 PM
Thanks, but what does the wall to left look like? The one in between the horizonal and vertical chambers? Thanks.

The connection between the horizontal and vertical is completely open on the bottom connection of the horizontal chamber. there is a gap between the upper half of the horizontal chamber and the upright.

Harbormaster
04-15-2008, 05:25 PM
I have a Chuckwagon Cooker (of unknown heritage and pedigree). It's 20" diameter horizontal and where the horizontal connects to the vertical it is a full 20" diameter opening.
I did a test burn in it this past weekend after putting a baffle from the firebox to the cook chamber and a batch of 1/4" steel tuning plates the length of the horizontal. It directed loads of heat to the vertical.

ZILLA
04-15-2008, 05:49 PM
I think you may need to open up the gaps in your tuning plates. The tighter mine are the cooler the upright runs. I set mine from the baffle to the upright at: Closed - 1/2" - 1/2" - 1" - 1" My last plate is about half and half where it meets the upright. Open them up and experiment before you start cutting up your pit.

jtfisher63
04-15-2008, 06:00 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice. Zilla, good point. I never would have thought to open up the gaps on the tuning plates, but I'll give it a try.