PDA

View Full Version : UDS question

hdis2002
04-14-2008, 02:17 PM
I'm relatively new to the Q scene(less than a year). I currently use a cookshack 08 and love it. However, I would like to expand my horizons a little bit. I'm considering a UDS from Big Drum Smokers, the model 2336. I don't have the resources to build my own and this looks like it's a pretty well built unit. I'm looking for suggestions from the pros. Space is a little bit of an issue so anything bigger really wouldn't fit in the area I have. Thanks.

Here's the link

http://bigdrumsmokers.com/smokers.htm

Steve

Bigmista
04-14-2008, 02:34 PM
Big Drum Smokers makes the BDS and that's where the inspiration for the UDS came from. I've seen them and Rocky makes a fine product but I think you could manage to make one yourself. I would put out a call asking for brethren help in your area. One or more brethren might show up to help you build one.

Tip: If you offer to buy them beer for helping, you might as well buy the BDS. They come out about even. :lol:

capri man
04-14-2008, 03:24 PM
dang steve, i was just up your way last weekend!! heck we could have put you one together in a little while. that bds guy is kinda proud of his huh!!! there is more info on here than you could ever use on building one. if i can do it, anyone can. i got less than $50 in mine!!

STX Cue
04-14-2008, 03:33 PM
I built one this weekend in about 2 1/2 or 3 hours using nothing more than a drill, a screwdriver, and a pair of pliers. I have about $75 in mine, but I went overboard on a couple of things. I would seriously consider building your own. Check out the UDS threads if you haven't.

Divemaster
04-14-2008, 04:29 PM
Big Drum Smokers makes the BDS and that's where the inspiration for the UDS came from. I've seen them and Rocky makes a fine product but I think you could manage to make one yourself. I would put out a call asking for brethren help in your area. One or more brethren might show up to help you build one.
That would be the way I would go rather than dropping that kinda cash!

ssbbqguy
04-14-2008, 06:47 PM
I sell kits that are reusable, efficient, competition proven. The kits are more than $75.00, but differ greatly than anything listed here or other sites. We use new exhaust tubing to form a intake that is controlled at top, air is delivered to center of inside of barrel.We also use conventional flues sized accordingly. More info is Steve, 417-358-1128 if we can help ,thanks.

Dr_KY
04-14-2008, 06:50 PM
I sell kits that are reusable, efficient, competition proven. The kits are more than $75.00, but differ greatly than anything listed here or other sites. We use new exhaust tubing to form a intake that is controlled at top, air is delivered to center of inside of barrel.We also use conventional flues sizes accordingly. More info is Steve, 417-358-1128 if we can help ,thanks.
What is in this kit? I am a bit too far away to make a phhone call.

Pictures, website?

JD McGee
04-14-2008, 06:53 PM
I sell kits that are reusable, efficient, competition proven. The kits are more than $75.00, but differ greatly than anything listed here or other sites. We use new exhaust tubing to form a intake that is controlled at top, air is delivered to center of inside of barrel.We also use conventional flues sizes accordingly. More info is Steve, 417-358-1128 if we can help ,thanks.

Got pics?

JD McGee
04-14-2008, 06:56 PM
I'm relatively new to the Q scene(less than a year). I currently use a cookshack 08 and love it. However, I would like to expand my horizons a little bit. I'm considering a UDS from Big Drum Smokers, the model 2336. I don't have the resources to build my own and this looks like it's a pretty well built unit. I'm looking for suggestions from the pros. Space is a little bit of an issue so anything bigger really wouldn't fit in the area I have. Thanks.

Here's the link

http://bigdrumsmokers.com/smokers.htm

Steve

Those are a great product...but before you buy do a search on Craig's List in your area for food grade drums and old Weber kettles (22 1/2 inch)...the rest is hardware from Home Depot. You can put one together for less than 50.00 and spend the rest on meats! :biggrin:

ssbbqguy
04-14-2008, 07:03 PM
Kits include, Intake system, grilles,(two), smoker plates,(use different sizes for different flow rates),water pan,two thermometers, hole template,exhaust system, combo firebox, instructions,and all hardware. Website construction underway now, pics as soon as I figure out how. I can probably send pics direct if you want, thanks for the interest, Steve

Dr_KY
04-14-2008, 07:04 PM
Less than 25 if you stay basic and do some scroungin' around.:mrgreen:

Dr_KY
04-14-2008, 07:05 PM
Kits include, Intake system, grilles,(two), smoker plates,(use different sizes for different flow rates),water pan,two thermometers, hole template,exhaust system, combo firebox, instructions,and all hardware. Website construction underway now, pics as soon as I figure out how. I can probably send pics direct if you want, thanks for the interest, Steve
Please feel free to PM them to me or host them on www.tinypic.com (http://www.tinypic.com)

Bbq Bubba
04-14-2008, 08:28 PM

Allright, ya got us wondering.....bring on the pics :shock:

BTW, stop by rollcall and introduce yourself...

JD McGee
04-14-2008, 08:52 PM

Try uploading your pics from your computer to Photobucket (my personal preference)...from there you can post them to this site by clicking on the IMG code. Welcome to the forum...don't forget to introduce yourself over at "Cattle Call".

hdis2002
04-14-2008, 09:35 PM
SSBBQGUY

Send me a parts list and quote. The problem I have is tools and finding a drum. You can PM me if you don't want to post on the forum.

Steve

Barbarian
04-14-2008, 09:40 PM
Steve,
Look in the yellow pages and try to find a cookie factory, bakery or something along those lines. They use food grade drums which is what you want. Got mine for ten bucks at a cookie factory. Actually a buddy and I have bought ten drums from this place and built six UDSs and my one UDG.

ssbbqguy
04-14-2008, 11:36 PM
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s288.photobucket.com/albums/11180/ssbbqguy/I have probably sent way too many photos, 2008-Jan. and Feb. is what I was selecting. Will work on editing later. I went to photobucket, joined and thought I sent four pictures not the whole album. I will figure it out soon, I hope. Anyway if you can see what I sent, let me know.Thanks, Steve

Barbarian
04-15-2008, 12:35 AM
no pics that I see, just a box with a ? in it.
That goes for this thread and the other one you posted to.

Dr_KY
04-15-2008, 02:19 AM
Try just posting the link to your photobucket.