PDA

View Full Version : bottling rubs and sauces

rookiedad
04-14-2008, 08:59 AM
i would like to get some of our rubs and sauces prepared for packaging. can anyone who is presently doing this offer some advise on costs, companies, processes and marketing? thanks!

Pig Headed
04-14-2008, 09:19 AM
Here's a company that will do it for you.

http://www.memphi.net/index.html

kickassbbq
04-14-2008, 10:07 AM
Contact Steve at:
www.dipstix.com (http://www.dipstix.com)
Great guy and he blends my rubs and knows just about ALL there is to spices!!!!
Call him on his # on the web site. He'll get you going!!!

lojill
04-14-2008, 10:18 AM
I can't seem to find a good rub for my ribs. I normally use a liquid marinade which makes my ribs cook quick and burn under charcoal. I have to use a gas grill to cook my ribs(I know this is a cardinal sin) but I can't prevent flare-ups when I use my charcoal grill. If I use a rub will this help or do I put the ribs on one end and the charcoal on the other and let the smoke cook them

Bigjim4x
04-14-2008, 10:30 AM
I have someone who does my dry stuff. Does anyone have a source for someone to produce and bottle liquid's?

J Appledog
04-14-2008, 11:18 AM
I wouldn't recommend my co-packer, but my label company rocks!
Northern Label
265 South Division Street
Hesperia, MI 49421
northern_label@yahoo.com
Talk to Cindy

The Fiery Foods website has a list of co-packers: http://www.fiery-foods.com/directory/ffd_list.asp

hcarter
04-14-2008, 11:19 AM
I can't seem to find a good rub for my ribs. I normally use a liquid marinade which makes my ribs cook quick and burn under charcoal. I have to use a gas grill to cook my ribs(I know this is a cardinal sin) but I can't prevent flare-ups when I use my charcoal grill. If I use a rub will this help or do I put the ribs on one end and the charcoal on the other and let the smoke cook them

Lojill, you might not be getting any answers to your question because you are hijacking threads. (just a thought here somebody stop me if I'm wrong.) The idea behind Q-Talk is quality ON TOPIC discussions. Try starting your own thread. You'll be suprised at the help you will get. I'm really not trying to bust your chops, just trying to help out. OK I'm done now.:-P

lojill
04-14-2008, 11:31 AM
Thanks I appreciate it. I'm new

DawgPhan
04-14-2008, 12:06 PM
i would like to get some of our rubs and sauces prepared for packaging. can anyone who is presently doing this offer some advise on costs, companies, processes and marketing? thanks!

Good luck...cost...expensive...way more than you though...Honestly if you cant do it full time and put all your time into it, you are basically just creating a new hobby to spend money on.

We finally got into 4 whole food markets which we are very happy about, but it wasn't easy and we certainly aren't getting rich off of it...though we may turn a profit this year.

We are set to do some demos this weekend and next and have done a couple of gourmet food shows.

my best advice if you really plan on doing this is be prepared for every opportunity. You will get your breaks, but if you arent ready for them then you cant make the best of them...

billm
04-14-2008, 12:22 PM

not sure on rubs but this would apply to sauce:
your best bet is to contact a co packer in your area..prices will vary im sure . Im in the Chicago area so it would be silly to refer you to the one in my area even though im very happy with them (Dorina/So-Good). Try to find the one with the smallest minimum run

My co-packer does a 125 gallon run on sauce as a minimum which equates to approx 60-70 cases of 12 16oz bottles. Thats quite a bit of sauce to sell too! Costs are all dependent on your ingredients as well.

Also be prepared to give away a lot of samples at the beginning. No store is going to buy without at least trying it out.

Additional expenses to consider are labels, upc codes, and liability insurance. Obviously there will be more depending on how you set up your business

approx 2K would be a close estimate but again its too many factors that could raise or lower that cost

parrothead
04-14-2008, 01:31 PM
Here is a good starter article.

http://www.fiery-foods.com/zine-industry/choose.html

DawgPhan
04-14-2008, 03:18 PM
not sure on rubs but this would apply to sauce:
your best bet is to contact a co packer in your area..prices will vary im sure . Im in the Chicago area so it would be silly to refer you to the one in my area even though im very happy with them (Dorina/So-Good). Try to find the one with the smallest minimum run

My co-packer does a 125 gallon run on sauce as a minimum which equates to approx 60-70 cases of 12 16oz bottles. Thats quite a bit of sauce to sell too! Costs are all dependent on your ingredients as well.

Also be prepared to give away a lot of samples at the beginning. No store is going to buy without at least trying it out.

Additional expenses to consider are labels, upc codes, and liability insurance. Obviously there will be more depending on how you set up your business

approx 2K would be a close estimate but again its too many factors that could raise or lower that cost

if you can start a sauce company for $2000 please let me know how...We spent way more than that before we ever made a drop of sauce...

I guess if you just wanted 60 cases of sauce in bottles with no labels you might could do it, but what good is that...

billm
04-14-2008, 03:34 PM
if you can start a sauce company for $2000 please let me know how...We spent way more than that before we ever made a drop of sauce...

you have a PM..and I stand by my figures as there is no reason for me to give false info to someone starting out
mileage may vary for others
Rookie Dad - feel free to email me or PM if you have further questions on getting starting up your sauce

parrothead
04-14-2008, 03:55 PM
I know Bill and am working with the same bottler that he is using and his $2,000.00 looks to be spot on with just minor variations either way.

WannaBeBBQueen
04-15-2008, 07:56 AM
great info guys, thanks so much I'm gonna look in to this :biggrin: