PDA

View Full Version : Trout Help

Porkmeister
04-14-2008, 07:45 AM
I figured there might be someone out there that can help me. I caught a few big Trout this week-end and was thinking about putting them out on the smoker. Anyone got any ideas on seasoning or wood type for me to use?

gpalasz
04-14-2008, 08:25 AM
salt and pepper. Some use lemon pepper but I dont care to much for the lemon. Alder would be great, but I usually just use pecan. I love trout.

Bearbonez
04-14-2008, 09:17 AM
I stuff the cavity with some fresh dill and flat leaf parsley, and lemon wedges after seasoning with SnP.
Pecan would be wood of choice.

Porkmeister
04-14-2008, 05:26 PM
Thanks, they are on now. I didn't have pecan but I had some apple and cherry. We will see what the out come is.

smokestack
04-14-2008, 08:06 PM
Brine for Smoking Fish

2 quarts ice water
1/2 cup pickling salt
1 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons black pepper
3 crushed bay leavessoak fish for 10 hours or more before smoking- I try for 24 hrs or so

this is a basic recipe- I usually add some garlic and a little red pepper- put on smoker at around 200-225 and smoke till the flesh starts to pull from the bones- when they are almost done pour the smoke to them-this is one time when the white smoke is ok-let them rest overnight in frig and let the flavors go through
green apple wood gives them a nice flavor

BBQ Bandit
04-14-2008, 08:18 PM
Hadn't tried fish... yet.

Thanks for the flaming the intrique. May hafta try it sometime.

PA

JD McGee
04-14-2008, 08:56 PM
Google is your freind...
http://bbq.about.com/cs/fish/a/aa072603a.htm
Saw a few decent recipes here...good luck!:biggrin:

Don Marco
04-15-2008, 05:46 AM
After seasoning the fish, the best way to cook it next to hanging them is to put a halved potato on the grate and stick the open fish belly on top of it.

That way the trouts cook very even, look good all around and you can fit more on the smoker.

DM

Porkmeister
04-15-2008, 08:02 AM
Well they turned out good. I'm heading out today to catch some more and try brining and some other recipes. Well at least I hope to catch some more.

Mike

MRI_Guy
04-15-2008, 09:39 AM
While I haven't smoked trout, when smoking salmon, here is my "Apple Jack" brine that I use:

Apple Juice
Jack Daniels
White Sugar
Brown Sugar
Salt

Brine for 24 hours then smoke.

Every summer, I fill several smokers full of salmon - but when it comes time to fill the cooler to come home from AK - I only have a couple of gallon zip top bags after everyone 'samples' my salmon............

Guess that I need to hire a better fishing guide in the future so there is more fish to smoke and bring home.

ibait2fish
04-15-2008, 12:38 PM
I like mostly alder, sometimes with a tad bit of hickory. What kind of
trout are they? I have a recipe for smoked rainbow trout spread
that's great! I'll post it up when I can get to my recipe box.:razz:

Porkmeister
04-15-2008, 05:50 PM
I just got home and caught 3 more nice 14 inch rainbows. I think I'm gonna try everyones recipe.

Mike.

Bearbonez
04-15-2008, 06:09 PM
I just got home and caught 3 more nice 14 inch rainbows. I think I'm gonna try everyones recipe.

Mike.

Nice, I cant wait to get out and catch some. It's still a little slow here, but no winter kill this year at the local lakes.

SmokerTim
04-18-2008, 10:29 PM

Mike.

All sounds great brother - but let's see some pictures!