PDA

View Full Version : Greek Seasoning

Sea Dog
04-14-2008, 04:07 AM
Cavender's makes a seasoning that I like a lot. I've used it on veggies, salads, chicken and even steak. I really like their greek seasoning. Pilleteri's makes some too and they both have things in them like garlic, oinion powder,oregano salt, sugar, black pepper, parsley and a bunch of other spices they dont mention.
http://www.greekseasoning.com/LABELANI.gif

I was wondering if this would make a good rub for ribs? Or do ya need paprika and cayenne for the rub to be good? I havent tried it, but wish I'd have thought about it last time around.

What do ya think? Would it be good on ribs?

8-)

CajunSmoker
04-14-2008, 07:10 AM
I've never used it on ribs, but I have marinated brisket in Italian dressing and Cavenders, smoke it then slice it thin and serve it on Kings Hawaiin rolls. Makes a really tasty little finger food sandwich at a party.

It's also real good for seasoning Philly cheese steak meat.

parrothead
04-14-2008, 07:50 AM
I love the stuff. Have never tried it on ribs, but it can't hurt to try it on one slab next time you cook.

Sea Dog
04-14-2008, 07:27 PM
I'll have to try it...just for something a little different.

8-)

Single Fin Smoker
04-14-2008, 07:34 PM
I use it on absolutely everything. It a must have in our house. However, ribs require somewhat of a heat and sugar element that Greek seasoning dosen't have.

ibait2fish
04-15-2008, 12:42 PM
Love it. Never tried it on ribs, but everything else ...brisket, etc., even pizza.
I'll bet it works well on ribs.

billm
04-15-2008, 01:15 PM
I use it on absolutely everything. It a must have in our house. However, ribs require somewhat of a heat and sugar element that Greek seasoning dosen't have.

I agree...
only ribs i would put Greek seasoning on is lamb ribs

Markbb
04-15-2008, 01:21 PM
I've used the cavenders on beef ribs they turned out really really really good....:!:

Rookie'48
04-15-2008, 04:33 PM
I've never used it on ribs, but it works well on a brisket. I might try it on the ribs mixed with Smokin' Guns Hot.

Smokin Gator
04-15-2008, 04:43 PM
It sure is good on chicken... but I haven't tried it on ribs.

icemn62
04-15-2008, 04:53 PM
I recently cooked two slabs of ribs using nothing more than salt and pepper for seasonings. The person who wanted the ribs liked them that way. I would think that the answer to your questions would be based on your taste and what pleases you.

Give it a try and let us know, you may just be on to something new that will sweep the BBQ world.

vr6Cop
07-13-2008, 12:08 PM
I recently saw an episode of Diners Dives & Drive-ins about BBQ. One place in Mississippi uses a mixture of Greek seasoning and brown sugar for their wings. I don't know the brand or the ratio, but I'm trying a 50/50 mix with Cavender's for my wings tonight. We'll see how it goes.

RevZiLLa
07-13-2008, 12:31 PM
I love the stuff for use in the oven on chicken, fish, potatoes, etc. It loses something in the smoker...

keend
07-13-2008, 01:21 PM
I have used it on steaks, burgers, and wings but never on ribs. Give it a try and let us know.

boatnut
07-13-2008, 07:09 PM
a friend recommended it to me and i love it. i put some on a pork tenderloin that i did on the gasser the other day and was great. not sure about a butt or ribs though.

Alexa RnQ
07-13-2008, 07:42 PM
lamb ribs
Oh damn. Now I'm hungry.

Rookie'48
07-14-2008, 12:07 AM
I've never used it on ribs, but it works well on a brisket. I might try it on the ribs mixed with Smokin' Guns Hot.

That was posted on April 15. I've tried Todd's Critter Rub since then & I might have to re - think my rub mixes :rolleyes:.

SoEzzy
07-14-2008, 04:57 AM
On Diners, drive ins and dives tonight, they were at the shed, when they were mixing up the rubs and sauces they used Greek seasoning in the sauce mix, along with 150 lbs of sugar.

Double D's BBQ
07-14-2008, 05:18 AM
The Rendevous in Memphis was founded by a Greek named Charlely Vergos who used a dry rub that he applied to his ribs that were basted in a vinegar mop after they were grilled. I don't know if the seasoning that you have is even close to what he used but I'd give it a try on at least one rack of ribs and see howit tastes. I definitely would not use it in a competition though.

vr6Cop
07-14-2008, 02:29 PM
On Diners, drive ins and dives tonight, they were at the shed, when they were mixing up the rubs and sauces they used Greek seasoning in the sauce mix, along with 150 lbs of sugar.
That's the one I saw. It looked like their wing rub was just greek & brown sugar, so that is what I went with.

I mixed up more of a 2/3 brown sugar - 1/3 Cavenders Greek seasoning than ha;f & half, just because I eyeballed it and had some extra brown sugar to use up. I mixed it all together, dredged the wings in it and put them in a ziploc for a few hours. They went on the smoker for about an hour and a half, and tasted great. I sauced with Sweet Baby Ray's cipotle honey sauce, but should've left them naked. The taste was pretty darn good by itself. Even my wife, who rarely eats wings, liked them. :cool:

SoEzzy
07-14-2008, 02:43 PM
Sure sounds like another one to add to the to do list!

capri man
07-14-2008, 08:25 PM
i put it on most everything i cook. i think it would make a turd eatable!!:biggrin: