PDA

View Full Version : Royal Oak Chef's Select

smokinit
04-13-2008, 06:42 PM
I got some of this at the BBQ expo in PA this weekend and it is an all wood briquet. Anyone ever use it I won't have a chance until next weekend to give it a try and I have a line on some already at $16.00 a 40lb bag free shipping to the store.

txschutte
04-13-2008, 06:44 PM
Which store? That's about in line with the $7/18 lb bag here for Kingsford. Looking forward to the review.

smokinit
04-13-2008, 06:48 PM
It's a large hardware store supplier that you can order from and have shipped to a affiliate store near you. I let you now how it works out never herd of it until this weekend.

Spydermike72
04-13-2008, 08:28 PM
I would be interested in how that works as well.

Thanks!!

SmokeWorks
04-13-2008, 09:59 PM
It's amazing stuff. I use it almost exclusively, that and their lump. It burns longer and hotter than the (old) Kingsford in my own unscientific experience, and produces *way* less ash, like half as much. Granted, though, haven't run it side by side with the 'new' Kingsford.

I call the lump "Rocket Fuel" and used to use it on my Tucker whenever I needed extra flow (like when overloaded for big events) or whenever I needed a quick no-preburn-required boost. I use it in the backwoods when I want a few extra degrees, like when I'm cranking out fast chicken.

I get if from "The Charcoal Store" in Memphis whenever I go to visit family... I'm in the Atlanta area now. I buy a truckload on every trip to stockpile for my friends and I... I've known the owner, Pert Whitehead, for years and he always gives me a great deal. Especially if I show up with a 12-pack under arm :grin: There's another benefit with buying from him: he doesn't let his guys throw the bags around, so the lump is always in AWESOME shape with big pieces and very little dust.

There's a food service distributor here that carries it, but I haven't opened an account with them. Somehow I don't mind driving an 800-mile round trip to get the stuff, especially since I get to throw an old friend some business and shoot the breeze. That oughta tell you something!

Norcoredneck
04-13-2008, 11:19 PM
How about some pics of bag and briqus?

CaptGrumpy
04-14-2008, 12:06 AM
No pics = doesn't exist

smokinit
04-14-2008, 06:06 AM
Pics of a bag of charcoal you guy's need to get checked out.:lol:

jdub
04-14-2008, 06:59 AM
I have been using a different brand of "all natural" briquette for a year now-Wicked Good Charcoal. It is basically ground up lump glued together with a vegetable starch. I am a fan. Burns super smooth and no more ash than burning lump. The WGC folks have been a bit sketchy about supplying my area with the stuff. Can't blame em, I bet its a hard sell to the rank n file, but I sure would like to see someone put out a steady supply of the stuff.

I just bought 2 bags of a "natural" briquette brand called Natures Own. I am curious to see how it compares to WGC.

CaptGrumpy
04-24-2008, 12:57 PM
Is this what we were looking for?
http://doitbest.com/Charcoal+and+Lighting+Items-Royal+Oak-model-10626-doitbest-sku-838136.dib

scott millman
04-24-2008, 02:18 PM
Do I dare say it?.....sounds like a Rancher product in Royal Oak clothing....let the conspiracy theories begin....sorry guys but it's been 2 weeks since we had a Rancher discussion, I was gettin withdrawals:biggrin:

HB-BBQ
04-24-2008, 03:45 PM
Do I dare say it?.....sounds like a Rancher product in Royal Oak clothing....let the conspiracy theories begin....sorry guys but it's been 2 weeks since we had a Rancher discussion, I was gettin withdrawals:biggrin: What's this Rancher stuff you speak of, is it any good?

j/k :biggrin:
I am still sitting on 500#, hope it lasts all summer. I'd love to try this R.O. but shipping to Cali is too much. I'd also want to try the Wicked Good product but shipping is a killer there too.

smokinit
04-24-2008, 05:38 PM
Hey guys got to try it out and I have to say good stuff only used half a load in my Fatboy to do 8 Racks and 30 legquartes. Low ash smells good and free shipping to a store near me.Time to stock up

Hacksaw
04-24-2008, 09:17 PM
I've used Royal Oak a couple times.I thought it was ok but nothing special.I just got some lump from Cabelas which i'll use this weekend and my Hy Vee store just started to carry Kingsford lump which I'll try after the Cabelas lump is gone(so next weekend).uggh to many choices

tony76248
04-24-2008, 10:11 PM
Since you broached the rancher subject...... the hijack begins....

I have come to the conclusion that the only two things to like about rancher is that it is cheap and it burns at a lower temp which suits me since I go low and slow.

I guess all that ash can do wonders for the garden, so maybe that is another good thing.

Keep us posted on the new Royal Oak.

BTW, has anyone seen the new Kingsford Hickory?

White Dog BBQ
04-24-2008, 10:12 PM
I used the Chef's Select from the MABA Expo (sold by Meadow Creek) and thought it was very good. Burns long, reasonable ash, no weird smells (I got an ammonia smell when I used Rancher). Like it a lot.

smokinit
04-25-2008, 08:39 AM
I used the Chef's Select from the MABA Expo (sold by Meadow Creek) and thought it was very good. Burns long, reasonable ash, no weird smells (I got an ammonia smell when I used Rancher). Like it a lot.

Ya I was there and got a bag and thats what promted me to look for it and the free to store shipping sealed it for me. I will be doing some catering this weekend and I will give it a good run through.

Slamdunkpro
04-25-2008, 09:39 AM
I bought 3 bags at the Meadow Creek Open House and am very impressed. Now I just need to convince my restaurant supplier to stock it.

Divemaster
04-25-2008, 09:46 AM
I just bought 2 bags of a "natural" briquette brand called Natures Own. I am curious to see how it compares to WGC.

I just got 4 - 40# bags of 'Natures Own' Lump for about $80... I love the stuff and the store has no problem ordering it for me during the drought (winter in Chicago)....

Transformer BBQ
04-25-2008, 09:53 AM
I have been using a different brand of "all natural" briquette for a year now-Wicked Good Charcoal. It is basically ground up lump glued together with a vegetable starch. I am a fan. Burns super smooth and no more ash than burning lump. The WGC folks have been a bit sketchy about supplying my area with the stuff. Can't blame em, I bet its a hard sell to the rank n file, but I sure would like to see someone put out a steady supply of the stuff.

The distrubution center is in NH, all you have to do is make an order and you could fill up a truck with the stuff if you wanted. Price per bag is a lot cheaper too. Chris (IQUE), Jed (Uncle Jeds BBQ), and myself ordered all together and picked up about 120 bags of the stuff about a month ago for under $5 a bag for the biquettes.