PDA

View Full Version : Pizza Stone Question??

FatDaddy
04-13-2008, 03:53 PM
Is it safe to use a pizza stone in the weber kettle? i just got this one last weekend and made several pies in the oven by setting the stone directly on the bottom of the oven(gas) at 500*. But i was wondering if putting it in the kettle would cause it to crack? and also do yall wrap it in foil when u make pizzas on it? the first one i made had a bunch of burned cheese etc on the bottom from when it slid off the peel onto the stone. and burned into the stone.

thillin
04-13-2008, 04:08 PM
It might break, and will get dirty.

MilitantSquatter
04-13-2008, 04:12 PM
As far as keeping the stone clean, I know RTD recommends parchment paper when he cooks pizza on his egg. I just bought two rolls of it today.

I'm not sure about it cracking though in a kettle ... My guess is if you have the coals on the perimeter in those little side baskets Weber has and the stone in the middle it would be indirect and at 500 degrees the stone would not know the difference of the oven, egg or kettle. Having the stone directly above the coals may be an issue.

Kevin
04-13-2008, 04:24 PM
I had a stone crack, cooking direct on a Chargriller. It cracked when I opened the door and cold air hit it.

Cre-B-Ce
04-13-2008, 04:37 PM
If it cracks, get a BGE or Primo pizza stone.

we'll smoke u
04-13-2008, 05:17 PM
I've never had a problem with the stone breaking in the smoker or my Kettle. I may have just gotten lucky.

SmokeWorks
04-13-2008, 06:42 PM
The trick is to heat it up sloooooow. It can tolerate uneven heat as long as it isn't applied quickly. Same with cooling it down.

txschutte
04-13-2008, 06:46 PM
jpw cooked pizza in his kettle not too long ago. PM him. It seems that he does it often.

Brauma
04-13-2008, 07:00 PM
I've rested mine on two firebricks on their edge.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h123/Brauma54/KCQuerpizza2.jpg

FatDaddy
04-13-2008, 08:47 PM
Ill have to give the fire brick idea a try that would probably work. i went ahead today and cooked em in the oven. cooked up a peperoni and canadian bacon, and then a bbq chicken pizza with left over chicken from fridays cook. both turned out great. Thanks for the input fellas.

Single Fin Smoker
04-14-2008, 03:07 AM
All right Brauma, you gots me inspired brother. Where do you find fireplace bricks and and cheap pizza stone? If it looks that good in a kettle I wanna try it.

Anyone got any pointers for me?

Brauma
04-14-2008, 05:27 AM
You can get firebricks at a local brick yard for $1 each or less. Lowes or HD may have em - Im not sure.

My thinking was: If I sat the stone on top of the bricks, it would move the bottom of the stone further away from the flame but at the same time hold the pie up near the top of the dome nearer to the heat. My theory could be all wrong but it worked.

That stone is my wife's Pamered Chef. She only let me use it once. Ive looked for unglazed quary tile since.

FatDaddy
04-14-2008, 06:39 AM
You can get firebricks at a local brick yard for $1 each or less. Lowes or HD may have em - Im not sure.

My thinking was: If I sat the stone on top of the bricks, it would move the bottom of the stone further away from the flame but at the same time hold the pie up near the top of the dome nearer to the heat. My theory could be all wrong but it worked.

That stone is my wife's Pamered Chef. She only let me use it once. Ive looked for unglazed quary tile since.

i too looked for the unglazed quarry tile at HD and lowes and all they had were 8" and 6" i was like WTF. so i had to spend 20 bucks on a cheap stone and peel set at BEd bath and beyond. would have rather spent 4 dollars on the quarry tile. yea we have a fireplace store here in town where i can get some bricks.

Rick's Tropical Delight
04-14-2008, 06:52 AM
you can get rutland firebricks like these at ace hardware, but you might need to order them online. tried a little experiment here to get the pizza higher in the dome...

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/RicksTropicalDelight/biggreenegg/pizza/pizza-017.jpg

swamprb
04-14-2008, 07:46 AM
I had one crack it was a Super Stone.

Cre-B-Ce
04-14-2008, 07:55 AM
you can get rutland firebricks like these at ace hardware, but you might need to order them online. tried a little experiment here to get the pizza higher in the dome...

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/RicksTropicalDelight/biggreenegg/pizza/pizza-017.jpg

What was the verdict. You can't just leave use hanging like that...:biggrin:

Single Fin Smoker
04-14-2008, 07:48 PM
I got a hundred dollar gift certificate to some expensive appliance mall place I can't remember the name of.
Maybe they got em.

Rick's Tropical Delight
04-14-2008, 07:51 PM
What was the verdict. You can't just leave use hanging like that...:biggrin:

it worked :biggrin:
but i haven't done it that way since. no reason to.

i'd get a big green egg pizza stone because they are thicker and made of space age ceramics. all the other thinner stones will crack in a charcoal fired grill. your results may vary