PDA

View Full Version : Smoking a whole New York "strip"

smokinbadger
04-12-2008, 11:07 PM
Well, I've been away from the forum for a while for various reasons, but I'm back and looking for some advice.

I went to the store today looking to pick up a brisket flat or two to smoke tomorrow. The first place I went had briskets for $5/lb, which is just crazy. (I guess this is a side effect of burning corn in our cars instead in our steers!)

Anyway, the second place I went had whole New York strips (i.e. the chunk of meat that is normally cut crosswise to make New York strips) for $3.99/lb. Being this is cheaper than brisket seems to be here, and since the piece had a pretty nice looking fat cap, I thought, "Hey, I can probably smoke this."

So here's the question: Can I smoke this? If so, can I get some advice on time and temperature? This piece of meat is about 10 lb. I'm planning to go pretty simple on the rub, like on a brisket.

I'm looking forward to your advice, and I'll plan to post some Pron.

I need to change my avatar. I'm working on it...

Jeff Hughes
04-12-2008, 11:20 PM
Smoke roast at 325 or so to 125 internal. While it rests it will bump up to 135.

Very tasty...

SmokeInDaEye
04-12-2008, 11:33 PM
Interested to see how it comes out. I usually cut them up into monster steaks.

Bigdog
04-12-2008, 11:50 PM

Monster seaks. I like the way you think.8)

Westexbbq
04-12-2008, 11:59 PM
Monster seaks. I like the way you think.8)

15 pounders for sure.

Sledneck
04-13-2008, 12:06 AM

15 pounders for sure.Then the spice fairy sprinkles the spice, sprinkles the spices

SmokeInDaEye
04-13-2008, 12:55 AM
20 ounces and plenty of spice.

Ron_L
04-13-2008, 01:01 AM
I agree with Jeff... Take it to 125 or so. You could season it just like a prime rib.

MAsQue
04-13-2008, 07:42 AM
We would occasionally cook strips this way back in my former life in restaurants, usually as a banquet item. As everyone else has said, think prime rib, not brisket. The only thing I would add is that I'd trim the fat cap and the tail before cooking and roast fat side up. Seasoning on the fat cap isn't going to do much, unless you're like me and eat the fat, so season the meat side. It will cook faster than a prime rib. Searing the outside before roasting is nice, if you've got a fire you can do it over.

Brauma
04-13-2008, 08:28 AM
Welcome back. Please give us an update on the cook.

NCGrimbo
04-14-2008, 11:18 AM
I did this a few months back and then cut it into 1" thick steaks and froze them. When I want smoked ribeye, I pull one out and let it defrost in the fridge then pop on the grill over some charcoal and take it up to med. to med. well doneness then eat.

ams14
04-14-2008, 12:58 PM
I usually do these on a rotisserie with cherry wood. Hit it with a dash of salt, pepper, and garlic powder every half hour or so. The temp is pretty high right over the fire.

Not sure how low-n-slow would work for these, I'm interested if you go down that road.