PDA

View Full Version : Built The Egg Table

Cre-B-Ce
04-12-2008, 04:59 PM
I got up this morning to more rain. So I loaded up the truck and went over to my warehouse to build the table. I built the legs out of traeted lumber and everything else out of cedar. I'm gonna let the varnish dry overnight and will probably bring it home tomorrow. I forgot the camera, so all I have is a cell phone pic to prove it happened.

http://www.hockey-love.com/images/table2.JPG

BBQ Grail
04-12-2008, 05:05 PM
I got up this morning to more rain. So I loaded up the truck and went over to my warehouse to build the table. I built the legs out of traeted lumber and everything else out of cedar. I'm gonna let the varnish dry overnight and will probably bring it home tomorrow. I forgot the camera, so all I have is a cell phone pic to prove it happened.

Nice job on the table. It looks really nice. Got some ideas for my new weber kettle table I want to build.

Thanks.

thillin
04-12-2008, 06:19 PM
Looks good!

Plowboy
04-12-2008, 06:48 PM
Looks nice. I've found that the plans on the BGE and Naked Whiz site are off when it comes to the distance from the base to the top shelf. Obviously, they were designed before the new hinge. You need more space between the top shelf and hinge. I've had to add at least an inch of height below the Egg.

You'll have to let us know if you run into the same thing.

Cre-B-Ce
04-12-2008, 07:39 PM
I put the shelves 16 1/2" apart instead of 15". The stone I'm planning it on putting on is kinda thick. I can always add to it if I have to.

JediDog
04-12-2008, 08:50 PM
Nice job.. Can't wait to see the egg nestled there.

BobBrisket
04-12-2008, 08:51 PM
WOW!! I envy those of you with woodworking skills. I really like the contrast between the treated and the cedar. Plus the way you framed out the legs gives it a ton of dimension!! Awesome!!

Cre-B-Ce
04-12-2008, 09:01 PM
WOW!! I envy those of you with woodworking skills. I really like the contrast between the treated and the cedar. Plus the way you framed out the legs gives it a ton of dimension!! Awesome!!

I have very little skill. I was winging most of it. The legs ended up like that by accident. I was going to use 4 x 4's for the legs to accomodate the casters. I then realized that cutting them would be a pain. The guys at Lowe's aren't real careful with their measurements when they cut them. I then decided to sandwich (2) 2x4's together. Luckily I checked the casters first and realized I need something wider. That's when I decided to space them out with another 2x4. It worked out good on the egg side because I would habe had to put an extra brace in there anyway to hold the short boards on the end.

Brauma
04-12-2008, 09:38 PM
Looks great.

Dont you get tired of spankin that monkey? :lol:

jpw23
04-12-2008, 09:40 PM
Good lookin' table.....wish i had a BGE to make a table for:biggrin:

swamprb
04-12-2008, 10:31 PM
Nice job!

smokeydog
04-12-2008, 10:52 PM
Great looking table, I agree the weather today was the pits. I'll be making a table for the Kamado next week.

smokinbadger
04-12-2008, 11:04 PM
That's a nice looking table. Have you figured out how you're going to install the egg? When I built mine (for an XL BGE) I ended up partially disassembling the table so that I could slide the egg in from the front. Also, I built mine out of cedar and decided to leave it natural.

Cre-B-Ce
04-13-2008, 09:41 AM
I figured I would take the lid off the egg. My son and I should be able to lift it and set it in the hole. Hopefully. if not, I will be taking the top and front off. I can see where an extra large would be more difficult.

Rick's Tropical Delight
04-13-2008, 09:55 AM
Looks nice. I've found that the plans on the BGE and Naked Whiz site are off when it comes to the distance from the base to the top shelf. Obviously, they were designed before the new hinge. You need more space between the top shelf and hinge. I've had to add at least an inch of height below the Egg.

You'll have to let us know if you run into the same thing.

i tried to tell you. look again at the plans on the big green egg site & the naked whiz's site. both sites state the measurement is 15" for the large egg with spring assist hinge.

Cre-B-Ce
04-13-2008, 02:34 PM
I got everything in place. I realized that my dumb arse messed up cutting the circle. Somehow when I made my redneck compass I measured 11.5" between the 2 points instead of 10.5". I have a 23" hole instead of 21". :oops: I guess I was cutting so many other 23" boards, i got mixed up. Oh well, it's not the end of the world. I told you I had very little skill. With the stone under the egg I have about 1/4" clearance for the hinge without the feet. I'm not sure how well a plain old concrete stone will hold up underneath or if I should put the feet back under it. Any thoughts? Here's the pics...

http://www.hockey-love.com/images/table3.jpg

http://www.hockey-love.com/images/table4.jpg

Rick's Tropical Delight
04-13-2008, 02:42 PM
too big of a hole is better than too small. what is your dimension from top to top of shelf? big green egg recommends just a paver stone and says the green feet are not necessary between the egg and the paver, although it wouldn't hurt as long as the egg is stable with the feet. the stock big green egg table also has gaps between the boards on the support shelf.

Cre-B-Ce
04-13-2008, 02:51 PM
I am at 16.5" from top to top. My paver is 1 3/4" in thick, so that gives me 14 3/4" clearance. That's why I have that 1/4" for the hinge. I think the only way I could put the feet back under it would be to have 4 and put them in the corners. The largest paver I could find was 16 x 16 and it is just big enough. I left 1/4" gaps on the support shelf also with one cross member directly under the egg and another at the opposite end.

Cre-B-Ce
04-13-2008, 02:54 PM
I can always use the feet for an air gap for a pizza stone.

Rick's Tropical Delight
04-13-2008, 03:07 PM
I am at 16.5" from top to top. My paver is 1 3/4" in thick, so that gives me 14 3/4" clearance. That's why I have that 1/4" for the hinge. I think the only way I could put the feet back under it would be to have 4 and put them in the corners. The largest paver I could find was 16 x 16 and it is just big enough. I left 1/4" gaps on the support shelf also with one cross member directly under the egg and another at the opposite end.

both sets of plans say 15" and that would raise your egg higher so the hinge clearance wouldn't be an issue.

anyway, it looks great! now throw a hunk of meat on there.

Rick's Tropical Delight
04-13-2008, 03:15 PM
and if your band bolts aren't bent, they aren't tight enough. you have to torque the nuts until the bolts bend at least this much:

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/RicksTropicalDelight/biggreenegg/springbandboltbend.jpg

thillin
04-13-2008, 06:32 PM
Looks good! Where's the bottle opener?

I wish I had more time to work on my table. I'm gonna add hooks to hang extra grates, utensils and woo rings.