PDA

View Full Version : Q's for first cook on the BWS

The Giggler
04-12-2008, 04:29 PM
What's the best way to start the fire on a BWS?
Lump?
Briquettes?
Minion?
Weedburner?

Cooking St Louis Ribs and Chicken Thighs tomorrow. Pron to follow. Thanks!

Nitrofly
04-12-2008, 04:42 PM
Lump?
Briquettes?
Minion?
Weedburner?

Lump & minion will work just fine

jrb03
04-12-2008, 04:48 PM
I notice you have a WSM, so you should be set! Treat it as a bigger WSM. Briquettes vs. Lump is personal preference. I have used both in the Party with no problems. Fill the charcoal tray, taking time to pack it in. Mix in a few wood chunks of your choice. Start a half chimney of coal and pour it on top, Minion style.

I like to leave one vent closed and one vent open while the cooker is getting up to temp, I dont want the fire to get roaring. I take the heat deflector out while the smoker is getting up to temp. When the door therm reads 200' or so I fill the water pan with HOT tap water. When it reads 225' I put the heat deflector back in, put the food in, and close the vent to about a 1/2" open. The temp sets right in about 235' - 245' where I like it. Adjust the vents to your preferred temp. You will be surprised how quickly it adjusts to a slight vent change.

This method works great for me. Good luck with your cook, make sure to post pics!

butts a fire
04-12-2008, 05:55 PM
I am with Jrb03 my method it pretty much the same except I do not have the heat deflector.

smokinit
04-12-2008, 06:00 PM
I do it allitle different I just light one corner well with weed burner and have both vents open and as it reaches 175 close off other one and add water then adjust remaining vent to desired temp. But now I just let the Guru do it all more time for beer.

watertowerbbq
04-12-2008, 09:35 PM
Where oh where is KC Bobby when you need him? :rolleyes:

RixCue
04-13-2008, 12:49 AM
For my Competitor I load the coal tray with 10# of R/O lump creating a ditch from the center over to the back right corner. Next preheat about 6 gallons of water over the turkey fryer. When hot pour into the water pan and have on hand a good half chimney of ,briquettes is ok, light over the turkey fryer. Place hot coals into the ditch and close her up. With the Guru mounted on the right hand side, I forgot to mention earlier , dial it in to the temp you want and let her roll. Want a slower start, use less hot coals , a faster start , more coals.

Rick

pigmaker23
04-13-2008, 01:01 AM
it only works with Humphrey Charcoal, call me if you have any questions, i will be cleaning the cookers all day ...

Lump?
Briquettes?
Minion?
Weedburner?

KC_Bobby
04-13-2008, 01:42 AM
Where oh where is KC Bobby when you need him? :rolleyes:

I'm here, but anything I'd add would be redundent.

Enjoy!

Roo-B-Q'N
04-13-2008, 10:42 AM
I normally load the charcoal basket with Kingsford with all the K's face up and facing to the right., leaving the front free of charcoal. Then I place some split apple logs on top. Then I light the chimney, all of the K's face down and facing left, and once ashed over, I place this in the front of the basket and have both vents open. Once the door temp reaches 200 I shut down both vents to almost closed. As I use sand in my pan, the cooker gets to 225-250 and hold nicely. And recovers nicely when the door is opened.

Ok I am jut farking with you . . . the K's are all faced to the left. :D

Nitrofly
04-13-2008, 01:10 PM
it only works with Humphrey Charcoal, call me if you have any questions, i will be cleaning the cookers all day ...

things that make you mmmmmmmmmmmm :evil::evil:
only Humphrey Charcoal.. you gettin' paid for this ad :?::?:

I'll agree for a pallet of Humphrey's :icon_blush::icon_blush:

The Giggler
04-13-2008, 03:02 PM
Thanks guys! Loaded the bottom tray with Humphrey's Lump, hollowed out the middle, and dumped a hot chimney right in the center. Filled her up with water, and threw a half burnt piece of hickory from the last cook in Big Tilly for luck.

Cooking Ribs, Rib Tips, and Chicken Thighs and Wings. Ribs are on.
From left to right, the ribs are rubbed with:
1. Famous Dave's Rib Rub (WTF - had to try)
2. The Slabs Pork Rub
3. Dave Klose's Rib and Butt Rub

Updates to follow.

The Giggler
04-13-2008, 05:22 PM
Took some photos. Damn cold here for April 13th.... Got the snow plow jacket on:eek:

Dave Klose Poultry Rub Chicken Thighs
Giggling Pigs BBQ Company Chicken Thighs

Ribs are wrapped, and will be glazed shortly.

This is very, very different than what I am used to. The smoke and steam are very mild. Cooked a couple taster pieces, and they were flavorful and moist as-is. Gotta say, its not near as warm sittin' around a hot firebox on an offset. Where's the heat?!?! (It's in the cooking chamber where its most useful, <pause> numbskull).

jrb03
04-13-2008, 05:51 PM
Lookin good! Keep the pics coming.......

pigmaker23
04-13-2008, 06:28 PM
Mike, heres the info on the casters.. www.Northerntool.com (http://www.Northerntool.com)

Item # 18922 250 pound rating, there are others that are heavier for little more $ no where near $ 50.00 Food Looks Good. must be that Humphrey Charcoal :shock: , Talk Later

smokinit
04-13-2008, 06:53 PM
Nice man you'll get the hang off it and that chubby will fit nice right on top of it.:biggrin:

The Giggler
04-13-2008, 07:29 PM
Getting close to done. Chicken Wings didn't make it for photos....:roll:

Learning the hot spots. Top (Thanks Eric) is definitely hotter than the bottom rack. Chicken cooks quick on the top. Ribs finishing on the top rack. Glazing pictures to follow. <tease>

I like the moist, heat. Smells nice. Not harsh. Hickory was harsh. Cherry, apple, and pecan were nice.

The Giggler
04-13-2008, 09:38 PM
The flavors were okay. Overall, I think we did okay for the first cook. There's plenty of room for improvement. Here comes the critic!

I wrapped the ribs at 3 hours. Unwrapped them to glaze after 2 hours. Could have used another hour in the wrap. Glaze took well, but the ribs were undercooked. Pretty simple to fix. The flavor was there. Not oversmoked at all. Just needed more time.

Chicken was finished early, according to the old schedule. Appearance looked good. (Please forgive the trim, they were still frozen, and took a quick bath in warm water - another big mistake). Skin was 'Goodyear', and would have been much better with some time on a hot kettle. Flavor was really good, but because it was overcooked - a little dry. Again, easy enough with some more practice.

Couple things that were new.

First, there was no firebox to warm one's self during a cook?!?!
Second, the heat was very moist, and therefore led me to believe things were done before they actually were.
Three, there's nothing to catch the grease when pulling out a rack (the dogs loved this trait).
And finally, there was no fire to stoke.... which led me to obsess about the flavors <grin>.

Enjoy the pics.

Roo-B-Q'N
04-13-2008, 09:49 PM
Mike looks good. How went the burn? I have never tried to go from the center out. Did it burn evenly and, and what was the burn length?

BBQ Grail
04-13-2008, 09:53 PM
Looks good so far. Thanks for sharing.

jrb03
04-13-2008, 11:46 PM
As you have found, your cooking times will be different in the backwoods. I cook spares around 5 hours in my big offset, one hour of that in foil. In my backwoods spares are done in around 4.5 hours, no foil. I shoot for 235-250 in all my smokers. I have been very happy with all of my food in the party without foil.

The Giggler
04-14-2008, 09:38 AM
Sorry for the delayed pics fellas. For some reason, I had trouble posting these last night. Again, please excuse the trimming on the chicken. :rolleyes:

The burn using the minion method was pretty consistent. I added a little cold lump, just to make me feel better. Not sure it was needed.

One thing I will say is that the cleaning part is much, much easier than on the offset.

A full blown competition cook is going to commence next weekend. More pictures next weekend.

The Anchorman
04-14-2008, 09:45 AM
Real nice pics.
Where are you going to compete Pork in the Park?

The Giggler
04-14-2008, 09:53 AM
Knaw. Its way far for us to drive. We made the trip in 2006. Funny you ask, the wife and I talked about how fun it was to do this contest by ourselves.

You guys going?

lojill
04-14-2008, 10:06 AM
I'm looking for a great rub for my Ribs anybody have any. I'm new to your site as of today. I love to talk about BBQ.

lojill
04-14-2008, 10:09 AM
I have a question for you professionals. Everytime I cook on a charcoal grill I get these flare up when I close my grill and the meat cooks to quick and burns. What can I do to get the charcoal flavor and not burn my ribs. I normall use a liquid marinade because I can't find a good rub. Is this the reason it is flaring up because I'm not using a rub?

gunrunner2491
04-14-2008, 11:02 AM
Nice pit, I bet it cooks awesome:-D

Porky
04-14-2008, 11:36 AM
I have a question for you professionals. Everytime I cook on a charcoal grill I get these flare up when I close my grill and the meat cooks to quick and burns. What can I do to get the charcoal flavor and not burn my ribs. I normall use a liquid marinade because I can't find a good rub. Is this the reason it is flaring up because I'm not using a rub?

If you are cooking on a charcoal grill like a Weber kettle or similar you should cook with indirect heat and there should not be flare-up. As far as a good rub
they are to numerous to mention go to Spicewineironworks.com and try their rubs or hawgeyes.com for a larger selection or make your own and experiment.:-D