PDA

View Full Version : i need brisket help

capri man
04-10-2008, 10:39 PM
ok i never cooked a brisket before. i got about a 4 lb. trimmed brisket. what temp and for how long. do i wrap it or not?? cooking it sat. on my uds. i feel like someone on here can give me some advice. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Pipin' Pig
04-10-2008, 11:15 PM
I cook mine at 230-240, wrap in foil and return to cooker when it reaches between 160-170 internal temp, and then pull around 190-195 when a probe slides in like butter. I then cooler for at least an hour if not two before slicing and serving. I try to add some of my injection warmed up to the foil when I wrap it as well.

BBQ Grail
04-10-2008, 11:17 PM
I cook mine at 230-240, wrap in foil and return to cooker when it reaches between 160-170 internal temp, and then pull around 190-195 when a probe slides in like butter. I then cooler for at least an hour if not two before slicing and serving. I try to add some of my injection warmed up to the foil when I wrap it as well.

Pretty much the way I do it too. Except I'm at 225 to 230 for temp.

blues brother
04-10-2008, 11:25 PM
Capri man,
I have never done one on a UDS. My first was a whole packer on a weber 22.5.
Now I still buy packers and split the flat from the point, trim off excess fat. Olive oil lightly and apply rub generously. refridgerate for at least 6 hours(if possible). Insert digital probe and install said meat into stumps gf223 at 225-240 until internal meat temp is 160-165. remove probe. DBL wrap in HD foil. Re-insert probe and install once again into gf223 until 190-195. UNLESS... I am way ahead of turn in time. If so I will pull from gf223 at 180-185 and remove probe, wrap one more time in HD foil and put in hotbox. The brisket will continue to cook and reach 190-195 in another hour or so... All of that said, I have never walked in a comp with my brisket...and in the same breath...no one has ever spit it out either.
BTW...save the juice in the foil! It is better than good!

I am not sure where Doerun is? I am 60 miles south of Atlanta and 15 miles from I-75. Please come down the 25 or 26th of this month for our 4th annual BBQ & Blues cook off( FBA ). You will be able to meet 55+ pro cook teams, see their smokers and have the best time of your life(a little over the top, don't you think?). This will all take place in a small city block. Please send me a PM if you like and I will get you more info.

Good luck on the brisket and I am sorry for such a long post.

QDoc
04-11-2008, 12:37 AM
Capri Man
Those little briskets tend to dry out real easy. When I cook them I line the bottom of a small disposable pan with bacon strips and put the brisket on top of the bacon. After 2 hours pour a little hot broth with some chopped onions and garlic mixed in. After 3 hours use as turkey baster ?sp to suction up some of the juice to baste it. The turkey baster helps to not wash off the rub ( use what you like ). After you get the color you like cover the pan with foil until its done ( poke test ) don't take the temp just poke it about every 30 minutes until the tooth pick or temp probe goes in real easy. Then take the foil off pour off most of the juice and crank up the heat to set the bark ( about 30 min ) . Reseason your juice with salt and pepper if needed and mix with a little sauce. Use your baster again to cover the top surface with this sauce and allow this to set. Remove let rest covered with foil 30-60 min (Not wrapped) you don't want it to continue to cook at this point. slice and enjoy

capri man
04-12-2008, 02:33 PM
well i got her going this morning. i combined some of what yall all said!!:biggrin: i rubbed her down with a couple of different rubs, a little pepper and some cyanne pepper. then covered her with bacon!! i just wrapped her at 160. turned the heat up a little and waiting.:confused:

BBQ Grail
04-12-2008, 02:34 PM
Wrapped in bacon! Now that's an interesting touch. Looking forward to "seeing" the result.

capri man
04-12-2008, 04:31 PM
well she is in the cooler wrapped in a nice blanket, taking a nap for 2-3 hours!! shhhhh!!!!:wink:

Kevin Garceau
04-12-2008, 04:39 PM
Ok Cappy...send some this way. No way I can get down there in time. But thats time enough for you to bawl some peanuts for me and send them too!

why arent you racing today? Snowing here, who knows when we can get to racing!

capri man
04-12-2008, 05:54 PM
ok here it is!! tastes better than it looks!! i noticed that it had no smoke ring!! it might have been on the bacon!!:roll:

capri man
04-12-2008, 05:56 PM
in case you are wondering, that is canidian lord calvert and water in the cup!!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

i e-mailed you a couple of slices kevin!!:wink:

Pipin' Pig
04-13-2008, 01:12 PM
I'd hit that. Looks like it came out OK. I agree the lack of a smoke ring is odd. How did you cook (fuel - wood, charcoal, chunks, chips, etc.).

capri man
04-13-2008, 02:59 PM
I'd hit that. Looks like it came out OK. I agree the lack of a smoke ring is odd. How did you cook (fuel - wood, charcoal, chunks, chips, etc.).

kingsford coals with a handful of small pecan limbs on top of it. might not have been enough wood!!

Roo-B-Q'N
04-13-2008, 04:53 PM
Probably not enough wood and the bacon may have had something to do with the lack of smoke ring. Looks good though,