PDA

View Full Version : Sauce

Sea Dog
04-10-2008, 05:17 PM
When talking about your favorite BBQ sauce (those of you who like it), what types do y ou like best? My favorite is a tomato based red sauce. Big Jims BBQ (US 82 S toward Montgomery), has some of the best sauce I ever had, but I dont know how to make a good sauce. Theirs is not to sweet and not too vinegary.

Any suggestions on where to look or how I can make a good tomato based BBQ sauce?
:-D

K I N G P I N
04-10-2008, 06:28 PM
Make one from a recipe and add or delete for the way you want it to taste.

I got this one from cbntmaker. Everyone loved it.

Southern Bourbon BBQ Sauce:
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons canola oil
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup bourbon
3/4 cup ketchup
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1/4 cup dark molasses, unsulphured
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon saltPREPARATION:

In a saucepan, melt the butter with the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté for until golden, about 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine; reduce heat to low and cook until thickened, about 30 to 45 minutes.
Stir often. Use as barbecue sauce or serve warm with grilled meats

Barbarian
04-10-2008, 08:54 PM
You need to invest in a couple of books.
Peace, Love & BBQ by Mike Mills
Smoke & Spice by Cheryl & Bill Jamison

Being from KC, I am a bit partial to KC style sauces but I enjoy pretty much any Q and most sauces.

One of my absolute favorites is Gates sauce from Gates in KC. You can buy it over the internet. I buy it by the case. Also in Peace, Love & BBQ there is a piece on Ollie Gates and there is a clone recipe of his famous sauce. No cooking needed, that is why I call it a clone, but it tastes so farkin close to the real thing I could not believe it.

Pipin' Pig
04-10-2008, 09:00 PM
On my butts I prefer a Carolina style Apple Cider Vinegar sauce. Slightly sweetened and spicy but with enough tart to make you pucker on its own which I think complements the pork nicely.

On ribs, I go back and forth between a dry Memphis style or a sweet and smoky KC style. I think I like the KC style more and certainly better for presentation.

On Brisket I am still searching for a sauce to glaze with and/or serve on the side. Haven't really found or made one I like (given I am only up to my 5th or 6th brisket however I haven't tried many).

txschutte
04-10-2008, 09:43 PM
Bob Brisket sent Wyatt some Claudes for his B-day. It turned out to be a family favorite.

bigabyte
04-10-2008, 10:01 PM
I don't have one favorite BBQ sauce, i ahve several, and each is better suited to different tasks. I was raised on Gates, so it is a standby good with anything. For other tomato sauces I am also partial to a modified version of Pain Is Good Southern Style. For mustard sauces my fave is from a recipe I picked up on another forum, and my favorite bottled mustard sauce is Sticky Fingers. For vinegar-based sauces, I like the kinds with a little tomato added, and like them sweet, spicy and with a hint of anchovy or worcestershire. Each has it's moment to shine in my house, and I use all of htese with regularity. I have yet to ever really enjoy a white BBQ sauce though. They are kind of a novelty for me really, but nothing I ever really use regularly.

Sea Dog
04-11-2008, 12:40 PM
I dont like white bbq sauce either. And this is odd since i like Mayo...but I dont want it on my brisquet or my pork. Might be ok on chicken. I read an article where someone wrote that white bbq sauce is everywhere it Alabama, but let me assure you kind folks...it aint. That must be a N. alabama thing.

Thanks for the recipe Kingpin! I'll have to try that one.

Barbarian: I have the book 'Smoke & Spice' and I dont think i could manage without it. Your right in that it is one of the very best, most informative books I have read on the topic. I used the 'Southern Succor" rub on my first butt and it was delicious! I also have a great book called "The Legends of Texas Barbecue" by Robb Walsh that is such a fun read. It tells you about the history of Texas bbq as well as give great techniqes and recipes. I make my cole slaw using a variation of one of their recipe.

I like a sweet sauce on my Brisquet. I dunno if it is the beefy flavor that the sauce compliments, or the saltiness or what. but KC sweet sauce is great on Brisquet. Also a spicy type sauce goes well with it.

But for Pork...the very best sauce i've ever tasted comes from "Jim's BBQ" on Highway 82 just north of Prattville Al. I cannot figure out how they make their sauce and they'll never tell me. But i could just about drink that stuff with a straw. Lol!

Bob Sykes BBQ sauce is kinda close, but doesnt quite get there.
Dreamland sauce from Tuscaloosa is a good vinegary type of sauce. But I have found it makes a good mop too if you cut it with some apple juice.

ive never seen Gates or Claudes, but if i can get them on the net, i'll try em. Anyone ever tried Stubbs BBQ sauce out of Texas?

milehigh
04-11-2008, 02:26 PM
http://shop.homebbq.com/prod_images_large/Sauce_bottle1.jpg

Brent sent me some of this a few swaps back:-D. It is his son's favorite,and now one of mine.

augie
04-11-2008, 03:40 PM
There used to be a q-joint in town that served white sauce with their poultry products - it was actually pretty good - but like you folks wouldn't eat it on pork or beef.

BobBrisket
04-11-2008, 03:55 PM
I just tried some of the Head Country sauce..........very nice. A little on the sweet side, but a nice sauce.

Brauma
04-11-2008, 04:57 PM
Cant beat Cattlemens Classic.

Sea Dog
04-11-2008, 07:57 PM
I like Cattlemen's too! I just wish I knew how Big Jim made his bbq. (Wish i knew someone who used to work there, but its family-owned).

Here's one sauce recipe that looks a little like it:

1 c. strong black coffee
1 c. Worcestershire sauce
1 c. ketchup
1/2 c. cider vinegar
1/2 c. brown sugar
3 tbsp. chili powder
2 tsp. salt
2 c. chopped onions
1/4 c. minced hot chili peppers
6 cloves garlic, minced

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and simmer 25 minutes. Strain or puree in a blender or food processor. Refrigerate between uses.
Makes 5 cups.

anyone ever made BBQ sauce with coffee in it?

thillin
04-11-2008, 09:12 PM
I just tried some of the Head Country sauce..........very nice. A little on the sweet side, but a nice sauce.

This is what I keep on hand. Everyone seems to really like it. I like the Hot version when I can find it in the store. Rudy's Sause and Rudy's Sissy Sause are favorites here also.