PDA

View Full Version : SIDE on Food Network?

SmokeInDaEye
04-10-2008, 10:08 AM
So I've submitted an audition tape for a new show Bobby Flay is doing this summer called "Grill It".

Check out the video here and feel free to rate the video and post a comment -- good, bad or otherwise. Notice the menacing pig in the background!:biggrin:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_gt/text/0,3195,FOOD_31139_67192,00.html?sortby=rating&pn=1&pageref=Photo_Video-884731&vw_arrange_order=DESC&vw_sort_order=BY_RATING

Sledneck
04-10-2008, 10:14 AM
What an ash-hole! Spice fairy??????? That is you new nickname from now on!

K I N G P I N
04-10-2008, 10:17 AM
Good job Clint!!:-D
One comment, viewers would probably want to see your eyes, so I would lose the sunglasses. :?:
I think the red thermopen may be a few degrees off, we all know the blue one is much more accurate.:biggrin::biggrin:

BBQ Grail
04-10-2008, 10:17 AM
Colin just might clinch it for you. Great video.

STX Cue
04-10-2008, 10:18 AM
New here, so I will keep my spice fairy comments to myself....

Other than that, pretty good video. And a really good looking steak!

BBQ Grail
04-10-2008, 10:18 AM
What an ash-hole! Spice fairy??????? That is you new nickname from now on!

Yeah I'm sure you are correct. Spice Fairy in da eye!

Sledneck
04-10-2008, 10:21 AM
I noticed the red thermapen as well. You might of been just booted off team ash-hole, gonna have to take a vote. I think the sunglasses are fine. I think having Colin in there was a great addition

BigBarry
04-10-2008, 10:28 AM
Can you update the clip?

If so, here are a few tips:

Forgot to mention wood in foil
Garlic mentioned, not shown

If not, it still is great!!

BBQ_MAFIA
04-10-2008, 10:29 AM
Great job Clint. Good Luck.

tonto1117
04-10-2008, 10:32 AM
Well Done Clint!! Very nice indeed...:eusa_clap:eusa_clap I also love that Colin is in it....nice touch. Good Luck!!!

BTW.....The red thermopen RULES....everyone knows that.:wink:

Fatback Joe
04-10-2008, 10:35 AM
Nicely done. Good luck!

jrb03
04-10-2008, 10:35 AM
Very nice video, good luck.

Did I hear wrong, or did you say 15 POUND Ny strip steaks......maybe 15 ounce?

timzcardz
04-10-2008, 10:37 AM
Very nice video, good luck.

Did I hear wrong, or did you say 15 POUND Ny strip steaks......maybe 15 ounce?

We do everything big in NY!

Clint,

Nice job and good luck.

Harbormaster
04-10-2008, 10:38 AM
How the he!! can you cook stuff like that and stay skinny?
Nice video.
I think Colin did a nice job diffusing the spice fairy comment.

YankeeBBQ
04-10-2008, 10:39 AM
The Spice Fairy showing off his meat which actually looked like meat after he cooked it. NTTAWWT

Westexbbq
04-10-2008, 10:51 AM
I love it.
Very cool, nice soundtrack too.
Colin, "don't call me Mister" is a great addition.
Good luck and we will all be rooting for the Spice Fairy!

Pig Headed
04-10-2008, 11:06 AM
Nice job Clint. Colin was a great addition. Good luck with the audition. Hope Colin gets to go too if yuou're picked.

Bearbonez
04-10-2008, 11:10 AM
Great Job on that. I sent in a tape, i don't think it came out very well.

Plowboy
04-10-2008, 11:13 AM
I laughed. I cried. I got a little hungry.

Sledneck
04-10-2008, 11:19 AM
I sent my in doing some grilled croatian specialties. They would not put it on the site. I thoughy by me doing it in a speedo that it would help mine to stand out. Apparently they are clueless

BBQ Grail
04-10-2008, 11:20 AM
Hope Colin gets to go too if yuou're picked.

Let's hope Clint gets to go if Colin is picked! (I sense a Wyatt mod possibility here)

Bossmanbbq
04-10-2008, 11:23 AM
So I've submitted an audition tape for a new show Bobby Flay is doing this summer called "Grill It".

Check out the video here and feel free to post a comment -- good, bad or otherwise. Notice the menacing pig in the background!:biggrin:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_gt/text/0,3195,FOOD_31139_67192,00.html?sortby=views&pn=1&pageref=Photo_Video-884731&vw_arrange_order=DESC&vw_sort_order=MOST_POPULAR

Brother you ROCKED!! You beat me to the punch though, My family and I are doing our video this weekend and I was going to post it here as well But thats ok I'll still do mine and post it.
Those steaks look AWESOME!!

SmokeInDaEye
04-10-2008, 11:52 AM
I wish I could have shown more. We had about 30 minutes of great footage including Colin grilling bratwurst, me roasting the garlic and making compound butter, and making grilled mashed cauliflower (seen under the meat at the end). Still couldn't get it down to 3 minutes but it works.

For the record, "spice Fairy" comes from Colin's favorite Food Network show, Down Home With the Neelys. Gina Neely always refers to herself as the Spice Fairy. And the glasses keep the smoke out of my eyes.

JRB, I did say 15# but meant it sarcastically. Maybe it didn't come across? Those things were huge!

Sledneck
04-10-2008, 11:54 AM
I wish I could have shown more. We had about 30 minutes of great footage including Colin grilling bratwurst, me roasting the garlic and making compound butter, and making grilled mashed cauliflower (seen under the meat at the end). Still couldn't get it down to 3 minutes but it works.

For the record, "spice Fairy" comes from Colin's favorite Food Network show, Down Home With the Neelys. Gina Neely always refers to herself as the Spice Fairy. And the glasses keep the smoke out of my eyes.

JRB, I did say 15# but meant it sarcastically. Maybe it didn't come across? Those things were huge!Sure sure blame the kid...........SPICE FAIRY!!!

BBQ Grail
04-10-2008, 11:56 AM

Sure sure blame the kid...........SPICE FAIRY!!!

Yeah! Don't blame Colin. And if the Neely's is his favorite show I'm going to worry about you.

milehigh
04-10-2008, 12:03 PM
Made my morning. Great video! hope you get picked. You sure gave these guys alot of ammo with the spice fairy comment though. I guess BAM!! was already taken?

Lookin forward to Bossmans now

parrothead
04-10-2008, 12:13 PM
You had me until "spice fairy". From hence forth you shall be known as the spice fairy. Unless you join the spice girls. Then you shall be known as fairy spice.

NTTAWT

SmokeInDaEye
04-10-2008, 12:22 PM
You had me until "spice fairy". From hence forth you shall be known as the spice fairy. Unless you join the spice girls. Then you shall be known as fairy spice.

NTTAWT

I'm man enough to live with that. May even get myself a spice fairy t-shirt to wear to the next gathering.:twisted:

Good luck, Bossman, Barebonz and everyone else who submits a tape. Fear da pig, Bobby!

Divemaster
04-10-2008, 12:26 PM
Looked good to me, but I said that it sucked (ok, not really but I was tempted.)

Yeah I'm sure you are correct. Spice Fairy in da eye!
We have a winner!!!

Well Done Clint!! Very nice indeed...:eusa_clap:eusa_clap I also love that Colin is in it....nice touch. Good Luck!!!

BTW.....The red thermopen RULES....everyone knows that.:wink:
Yea, you pellet poopers would buy anything....

NTTAWT
ROTFLMAO!!!!!

Pig Headed
04-10-2008, 12:50 PM
BTW, maybe if we get enough favorable comments on the site, it will help Clint & Colin get picked.
I went to show the video to my wife and it says error on page. Is anyone else having this problem?

Sledneck
04-10-2008, 12:54 PM
BTW, maybe if we get enough favorable comments on the site, it will help Clint & Colin get picked.
I went to show the video to my wife and it says error on page. Is anyone else having this problem?
Just got the same the thing. THE BRETHREN CRASHED FOOD NETWORKS SERVER!!!!!! WOOHOOO!!!

River City Smokehouse
04-10-2008, 12:58 PM
CRASHED!!! :biggrin:

Bentley
04-10-2008, 12:59 PM
This is what i got when I clicked on the link!

There was an issue retrieving the requested information. Possible reasons for this are:

(1) The video or photo you requested has been moved or deleted.

(2) The permissions on the item that you requested have changed.

(3) You entered an invalid URL.

(4) There is a temporary issue with our servers.

ipls3355
04-10-2008, 01:00 PM
same error here

Pipin' Pig
04-10-2008, 01:04 PM
I tried to get on to look, but foodnetwork is saying that the video has been moved or the URL is incorrect.

ipls3355
04-10-2008, 01:09 PM
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_gt/text/0,3195,FOOD_31139_67192,00.html?sortby=rating&pn=1&pageref=Photo_Video-884731&vw_arrange_order=DESC&vw_sort_order=BY_RATING
found it here

RichardF
04-10-2008, 01:52 PM
What else is there to say :wink:

Pipin' Pig
04-10-2008, 02:00 PM
That last link worked for me.

That was great. Loved seeing Colin's contributions. That "don't call me Mister" was classic.

JamesTX
04-10-2008, 02:02 PM

NTTAWT

Too bad someone with moderator powers hasn't gone in and changed his signature to -

SPICE FAIRY

I'm sure the moderators here would never abuse their powers like that.......

YankeeBBQ
04-10-2008, 02:02 PM
It's still there just click most recent and you can find it.

SmokeInDaEye
04-10-2008, 02:06 PM
That was weird. Must move around depending on how much it's viewed, etc. Trying to see if there is a permanent link.

Colin was hilarious. He had another un-prompted line asking how I came up with this recipe. Didn't make the cut.

He now gives demonstrations around the house on how to do different things (like how to clean up your room). My wife thought he was nuts until I explained he's pretending to be on TV!:mrgreen:

CTSmokehouse
04-10-2008, 02:11 PM
Good Luck Clint!!!

Great video!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

PS I rated it ***** 5 stars fantastic!

motoeric
04-10-2008, 02:15 PM
Just got the same the thong.

Uhhhh, you and pig headed have matching thongs?

Ok, whatever works for you.

Eric

Roo-B-Q'N
04-10-2008, 05:15 PM
Colin did indeed say it best when he said a Spice Fairy can not be a boy that cooks. Good Job Clint.

MilitantSquatter
04-10-2008, 07:24 PM
Nice Job SIDE....

If I listen closely, I think Colin muttered "What an Ash-hole" when you pulled out the spice fairy line. Smart kid.

However, it was so good, I've now added it to my signature here.

BBQ Grail
04-10-2008, 07:33 PM
Just in case you need a little extra around (http://www.uk.pg.com/images/fairyPowerSprayPack_IL.jpg) the house...

SmokeInDaEye
04-10-2008, 07:41 PM
Nice Job SIDE....

If I listen closely, I think Colin muttered "What an Ash-hole" when you pulled out the spice fairy line. Smart kid.

However, it was so good, I've now added it to my signature here.

Can't we talk about the brethren banner, strategically placed in the background?

Thanks for checking it out everyone and rating it. True brethren support in action! Can't wait to do the same for others who apply.

Wine & Swine
04-10-2008, 07:45 PM
Clint you and Colin were great...even if you will now be known as SPICE FAIRY!!!! Steak looked really great.

Kevin
04-10-2008, 07:50 PM
Clint you and Colin were great...even if you will now be known as SPICE FAIRY!!!! Steak looked really great.

I agree. The video shoot was quick and entertaining. The steak looked fantastic. That "Spice Fairy" tag will go away.

Ron_L
04-10-2008, 08:00 PM
Very nice, SF... Love the brethren banner and the line up of WSMs.

BTW, you never told us what you were wrapping up in foil. I think we knew that it was the maple chips, but you never said that.

How did the hot dogs turn out?

CajunSmoker
04-10-2008, 08:12 PM
That was great, but I have to tell you that Colin totally stole the show:cool:

bbqbull
04-10-2008, 08:43 PM

Bingo!

SmokeInDaEye
04-10-2008, 09:03 PM
Very nice, SF... Love the brethren banner and the line up of WSMs.

BTW, you never told us what you were wrapping up in foil. I think we knew that it was the maple chips, but you never said that.

How did the hot dogs turn out?

Colin is the 5 year old master of hot dog and hamburger grilling. There is a ton more footage of him cooking and he's asking for his own video. I considered submitting one for the show but I get this weird Jean Bennet Ramsey feel from it. I'd rather him enjoy making fun of me and not be too overwelmed.

FYI, the big foil thing was califlower after it grilled for a while, letting it steam enough so I could mash is.

Sawdustguy
04-10-2008, 09:46 PM
Colin is the 5 year old master of hot dog and hamburger grilling. There is a ton more footage of him cooking and he's asking for his own video. I considered submitting one for the show but I get this weird Jean Bennet Ramsey feel from it. I'd rather him enjoy making fun of me and not be too overwelmed.

FYI, the big foil thing was califlower after it grilled for a while, letting it steam enough so I could mash is.

Michele and I loved the whole video. Great work Clint!

Westexbbq
04-10-2008, 09:52 PM
I agree. The video shoot was quick and entertaining. The steak looked fantastic. That "Spice Fairy" tag will go away.

Yes,
Yes,
and I think not.....

Timmy
04-10-2008, 09:55 PM
Well I gotta be honest...I thought the video was good. But when you were cuting the lobster into cubes..I couldn't see it. You told me but I couldn't see it. the vid is to be about the food so show it. But I also realize you could only send three minutes so Good job. I hope it works out for you.

SmokeInDaEye
04-10-2008, 10:17 PM
Well I gotta be honest...I thought the video was good. But when you were cuting the lobster into cubes..I couldn't see it. You told me but I couldn't see it. the vid is to be about the food so show it. But I also realize you could only send three minutes so Good job. I hope it works out for you.

There was some footage of me cutting up the lobster but it looked like me cutting up some lobster and we had to cut it down.

Honestly, there is so much footage I would have loved to add but it was tough enough to get it where its at.

JohnMcD348
04-10-2008, 10:26 PM
Great video man.

Pig Headed
04-10-2008, 10:39 PM
Uhhhh, you and pig headed have matching thongs?

Ok, whatever works for you.

Eric

Hey Steve, I think Eric is jealous!!:twisted:
Eric, that truely is a vision that even I don't want to think about.:icon_blush:

McClung
04-10-2008, 11:08 PM
My vote is for the Spice Fairy

swamprb
04-11-2008, 04:20 AM
I thought everything was great, but felt you should be making eye contact with the viewers and lost the shades. But what the hell do I know, I'm watching "Chefography" on the Food channel at 3AM lunch break!

FatDaddy
04-11-2008, 05:56 AM
Great Video SF. I may talk mama into us cooking some of those this weekend. I thought about submitting something on there, but then that means i gotta clean up the cookers and figure out something unique to cook. I should have taped me drinking tecate and smoking that piggy last sunday. show Bobby how its done Texas style. Good luck hope ya win!!!

Ron_L
04-11-2008, 08:58 AM
If the Bobby thing doesn't work out you can always submit the video for the next season of "The Next Food Network Star".

Porky
04-11-2008, 10:04 AM
SF, S.I.D.E., Ash-hole, Clint---

No matter what you are called the video is GREAT and Colin was a wonderful very cute sous chef. Hope it works out for you with Bobby Flay.

SmokeInDaEye
04-11-2008, 07:56 PM
Went back to the site before leaving work and its now the fifth most viewed and third most popular in only one day! I'm not actually sure how the other two are ahead given everyone that's visited and commented but no complaints!

It sucks that it only shows the last 10 comments or so, though. Some funny stuff there that you can't see anymore.

You taping yet, Bossman?

swamprb
04-11-2008, 11:45 PM
Glad I got a chance to see it! Good Luck to you Clint!

BBQ Bandit
04-12-2008, 08:49 AM
The video is an instant classsic ... with kudos to you and Colin!

When Colin gets a little older... he already has his own sigline:
"A fairy is never a boy that cooks" or "Son of Spice Fairy"

You are da man... being able to laugh at yourself and try to commercialize the idea printing t-shirts!

Next time... wear one of those Spice Fairy t-shirt on your next video :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:!

One thing that surprised me... you did not bust a gut, keeping a straight face not reacting to Colin's responses. I still can't do it...

Great job... priceless. One of those keepers to remind Colin in another 5, 10, 20 years!

You da man!
PA

WannaBeBBQueen
04-12-2008, 09:26 AM
So has the food network picked up Colin yet, he's adorable!! Great video! I hop eyou guys make the cut! I loved it rated it 5 stars!! You are the man!:biggrin:

CharlieBeasley
04-12-2008, 10:07 AM
Need to change your avatar a rainbow fairy might be nice. Great Video good luck!

ASUBBQ
04-12-2008, 10:15 AM
Good fun stuff, a breath of fresh air!! We'll be rooting for you!

Rob

All Smoked Up BBQ

(2) Meadow creek custom cook trailers

SmokeInDaEye
04-16-2008, 11:41 PM
Just a quick update. The video has been up a week tomorrow and is only a couple hundred page views away from becoming the most viewed video on the site (behind Bobby's, of course, which is still a few thousand away).

The ranking means nothing in the decision making process, just the cooking, but it feels great to know that I have so many friends and fairy lovers here who have clicked on and watched. There have been hundreds of positive messages as well from many of you, I just wish we could see them all!

Thanks again and hopefully I can do the brethren proud someday on TV.

Smokin Gator
04-17-2008, 10:05 AM
That was awesome... best of luck brother!!!

Sledneck
04-20-2008, 11:51 PM
Just a quick update. The video has been up a week tomorrow and is only a couple hundred page views away from becoming the most viewed video on the site (behind Bobby's, of course, which is still a few thousand away).

The ranking means nothing in the decision making process, just the cooking, but it feels great to know that I have so many friends and fairy lovers here who have clicked on and watched. There have been hundreds of positive messages as well from many of you, I just wish we could see them all!

Thanks again and hopefully I can do the brethren proud someday on TV.Congratulations on the becoming the most view entry currently

Mr. Bo
04-21-2008, 12:31 AM
I laughed and loved it Clint but Colin stole the show in that video. It's still #1 right behind Bobby's video. Good job and good luck!!

SmokeInDaEye
04-21-2008, 01:18 PM
Congratulations on the becoming the most view entry currently

Pretty cool. We'll see if it stays there!

BBQ Grail
04-21-2008, 02:55 PM
I've watched it 400 times!

SmokeInDaEye
04-21-2008, 03:25 PM
I've watched it 400 times!

Thanks, Larry. That takes dedication! Too bad I don't get a cut from the stupid commercial they added at the beginning.:biggrin:

Westexbbq
04-21-2008, 04:09 PM
Still a fascinating video and dialogue.

Hey, if you run the audio segment backwards at the point where Clint says ......

"sprinkle the spices", you know what it sounds like??

Well,
it sounds like "see cips et elknirps!"

Pretty amazing stuff.!:wink:

timzcardz
04-22-2008, 08:26 AM
WOW!

At 3542 views second only to Bobby himself, and now has moved into the No. 1 top rated postion as well!

Way to go Clint!

Mad Max
04-22-2008, 08:45 AM
Good video, Colin was awesome. Best of Luck!

boatnut
04-22-2008, 03:29 PM
dunno if it's my 'puter, sound card or what, but the background music almost totally drowned out the vocal stuff. couldn't hear a word :(

McClung
04-22-2008, 07:23 PM
Alright, helped the Spice Fairy out and watched it 3 more times, ought to have it up to 3620 views now.

timzcardz
04-25-2008, 06:34 PM
SIDE going strong at 3886 views and is still second only to Flay, but has slipped in the ratings to 5th.

Don't forget to rate the video too when you watch it, again, and again, and again.

ipls3355
04-25-2008, 09:07 PM
I just hit it again. I'll get it twice on sunday:wink:

Best of luck SIDE

bigabyte
04-25-2008, 09:19 PM
I'm hitting it now! It's great!

ZBQ
04-25-2008, 10:53 PM
Just watched it 3 more times!:grin:

Colin is just too cool!

Loved the Brethren poster in the background!:eusa_clap

ZBQ
04-25-2008, 10:56 PM
SIDE going strong at 3886 views and is still second only to Flay, but has slipped in the ratings to 5th.

Don't forget to rate the video too when you watch it, again, and again, and again.

It would only let me rate it once.

The next time and every time after that it says "You already rated":sad:

Wine & Swine
04-25-2008, 11:01 PM
You have to clear your history to vote more than once.

SmokeInDaEye
04-25-2008, 11:06 PM
Thanks, guys! Still note sure how that "highest rated" thing works. It jumps around a lot. It's fun to watch, though.

FYI, I was asked yesterday to write a blog for one of the New York papers on the whole thing. Pretty exciting and I hope to get something written this weekend. Will post a link when it goes live!

ZBQ
04-25-2008, 11:08 PM
You have to clear your history to vote more than once.

Cool, must work on cookies.

ZBQ
04-25-2008, 11:09 PM
Thanks, guys! Still note sure how that "highest rated" thing works. It jumps around a lot. It's fun to watch, though.

FYI, I was asked yesterday to write a blog for one of the New York papers on the whole thing. Pretty exciting and I hope to get something written this weekend. Will post a link when it goes live!

Too cool Clint! :-D:eusa_clap

ipls3355
04-26-2008, 09:56 AM
Was that a RED thermapen in that piece?:lol: They are the best you know:wink:

jestridge
04-26-2008, 01:06 PM
Great job!!!!!

JD McGee
04-26-2008, 01:29 PM
I'm with Colin...all "Spice Fairies" have wings and a wand! :twisted: Nice video bro! :biggrin:

timzcardz
04-27-2008, 09:00 AM
LMFAO!

Clint has definitely left his mark on the world.

It seems that the Spice Fairy has made it big time!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=spice+fairy

SmokeInDaEye
04-27-2008, 11:33 AM
LMFAO!

Clint has definitely left his mark on the world.

It seems that the Spice Fairy has made it big time!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=spice+fairy

The Spice Fairy also says "Revenge is a dish served cold."

SmokeInDaEye
05-14-2008, 09:13 AM
One more day left for submissions. Any other brethren going to try to get something in? I know Bossman has something in the works. Would love to see us represent our fine knowledge base!

milehigh
05-14-2008, 10:05 AM
When does the winner get announced??

Would love to see us represent our fine knowledge base!

I think the spice fairy is a great representative

Paul

Sledneck
05-14-2008, 02:53 PM
When does the winner get announced??

I think the spice fairy is a great representative

Paul Sure is

SmokeInDaEye
05-14-2008, 03:08 PM
Not sure when they let people know. It says the new show airs this summer so not a lot of time to tape and edit.

Interestingly, I have a friend who is a producer for Nightline and she taped a segment with Bobby last week. Told him all about my video!

thillin
05-14-2008, 03:13 PM
Food network been running commercials for the new show. Can't remember if it had dates.

BBQ Grail
05-15-2008, 09:50 AM
He's getting more famous! (http://getyourgrillon.net/2008/05/15/the-spice-fairy-and-the-food-network/)

milehigh
05-15-2008, 10:01 AM
I just hope he doesn't forget where he came from when he becomes a "Network Star" :wink::wink:

Paul

biffleg
05-15-2008, 11:55 AM
Great video Clint - was telling the wife about it at lunch today. Hope they see the talent and we're catching you on FN soon! And who knows - after your Hollywood career takes off - next is: Spice Fairy's Rubs and Sausces coming to a local store near you! Good luck in getting picked!

Norcoredneck
05-15-2008, 12:04 PM
What Smoke in Da Eye on Bravo?

Qing with the Spice Fairy!

SmokeInDaEye
05-16-2008, 01:11 PM
He's getting more famous! (http://getyourgrillon.net/2008/05/15/the-spice-fairy-and-the-food-network/)

That's great, Larry! Saw it on WellFed too and it's on Digg.com here (http://digg.com/food_drink/The_Spice_Fairy_and_Bobby_Flay).

Not sure when or if I'll hear from them but it's been fun!

BBQ Bandit
05-16-2008, 05:27 PM
What Smoke in Da Eye on Bravo?

Qing with the Spice Fairy

"If it didn't have hair or feathers I ain't eating it!" !

Hey Norco... you may want to reconsider your sigline...

SmokeInDaEye
06-05-2008, 10:06 AM
Unfortunately the Brethren will not be represented on this show. My wife got a call from Food Network about another show and she asked about Grill It. Long story short, Bobby picked 12 videos from across the country and they have already filmed them. No Spice Fairy, no Bossman.:mad: We didn't even get emails saying the thing was over.

Thanks to everyone for supporting our videos, though. Maybe season 2???

milehigh
06-05-2008, 10:10 AM
Hold your head high Clint!

Paul

Sledneck
06-05-2008, 10:13 AM
Unfortunately the Brethren will not be represented on this show. My wife got a call from Food Network about another show and she asked about Grill It. Long story short, Bobby picked 12 videos from across the country and they have already filmed them. No Spice Fairy, no Bossman.:mad: We didn't even get emails saying the thing was over.

Thanks to everyone for supporting our videos, though. Maybe season 2???
I call BULLCHIT. Thats it BOYCOTT!!!!!

Bride of Roo(BQ'n)
06-05-2008, 10:42 AM
As Colin's conglomerate Agents and Managers... we REVOLT

SmokeInDaEye
06-05-2008, 10:47 AM
Yeah, it's disappointing so many people put in all of that work and the process was so disorganized. There are now a bunch of people posting on Bobby's video asking what the heck is going on.

Oh well. It was fun! Maybe I should surpass Bobby's video in views for the heck of it!

BBQ Grail
06-05-2008, 10:56 AM
I'm going to write them. How can you not pick the most popular video. Unless you are afraid of the Spice Fairy.

Westexbbq
06-05-2008, 11:29 AM
Sorry to hear the news, Clint.
Kudos and accolades to both you and Bossman for excellent entries.
Besides picking up some great techniques and ideas, I also learned a very important lesson - a fairy is never a boy that cooks.:lol:

Hey, y'all gave it a good shot!
Keep up the good work.

scott millman
06-05-2008, 12:07 PM
That does suck....thought for sure you were in....was fun to watch it anyways....good luck if you try it again.

SmokeInDaEye
06-05-2008, 02:54 PM
I'm going to write them. How can you not pick the most popular video. Unless you are afraid of the Spice Fairy.

I appreciate that. Not that I encourage anarchy, but if any opinionated Brethren wanted to share their thoughts on the selection process, my video, technique, recipe, or whatever, there's an email address that is:

dearfoodnetwork at foodnetwork dot com

(Any chance a moderator can change the title of this thread to SIDE Gets Burned by Food Network?)

BBQ Grail
06-05-2008, 03:12 PM
Here's my letter:

Dear Food Network,

What a farce?

You asked for videos from your loyal viewers.
You asked for others to go online and watch the videos.
You asked for comments by the video watchers.

And from the looks of the website it appears thousands upon thousands of us responded in one form or another. Today I found out that not only are you still asking for videos, you’ve already selected the winners and filmed the episodes. I can not even begin to express my disappointment. After years of watching the Food Network I am seriously considering giving up your network. I will most definitely stop watching any show with Bobby Flay.

How can you have selected the twelve finalists, filmed the episodes and still have given everyone a chance to participate. The answer is simple, you couldn’t. You have taken advantage of people. How could you not selected the most watched video?

The Food Network owes everyone who posted a video, viewed a video or commented on a video an apology. You handled this whole thing wrong and have soiled the reputation of the network. Now IF I watch any more of “The Next Food Network Star” and one of the judges, especially Flay, starts to talk about how it’s important the viewers are I’ll know it’s just a bunch of bull.

Larry Gaian
Rocklin, CA

Sledneck
06-05-2008, 03:16 PM
Illuminati........ATTACK!!!!!!!

K I N G P I N
06-05-2008, 05:46 PM
Secret Sauce, take aim and kill!!!!

Jeremiah
06-05-2008, 06:14 PM
Sorry to hear that, I really felt you had a good chance with this.

BBQ Grail
06-05-2008, 06:31 PM
Sorry to hear that, I really felt you had a good chance with this.

If it was a real contest he would have. Since it's quite obvious at this point that it was rigged so Bobby Flay wouldn't get showed up he didn't have a chance.

SmokeInDaEye
06-05-2008, 07:46 PM
I think that email to them summed it up very well.

What this could have been, if done right, would have been an amazing showcase for the heart and soul we all put into grilling and bbq.

Truth told, I watched my video a lot over the last two months, mainly to laugh at myself and beam at Colin. But I'm biased. Was the video too long, did my dry humor not work, did the recipe suck or perhaps I don't know how to grill properly?

THAT'S the kind of feedback I had hoped for, especially when there are maybe 50 videos, 12 selected.

More than the pleasure of watching the comments on my own video, though, I loved watching the other submissions! I picked up some great techniques from a few really talented folks, squirmed when some guy tried to light a chimney with gas and a weedburner, and generally had fun imagining how a concept like this could bring the spirit of the Brethren to life on the small screen.

The ultimate part of the entire process, though, was getting to help Bossman figure out how to post his video for weeks then finally watching it and being blown out of my seat! His tips and methods and dedication to sharing was exactly what I had hoped for. I was the first to watch it, watched it a ton more, and would have been proud knowing he was one of the 12 instead of me.

I'm sure that there are people here who don't get my offbeat sense of humor, my drive to promote our shared love, whatever.

But know that this video wasn't done out of some desire to be a superstar. I barely have time to sleep as it is!:)
I really thought I could bring that shine to all of us. I didn't push a website (aside from my prized brethren banner) or some stupid product and didn't bad mouth people. I tried to answer questions when posted and even promoted their show in the media. The same things I try to do here.

Long story short, I just wish they knew what a great concept this could have been if done right, and I wish they would have cared enough about all of the video submitters, friends, family and countless faceless grilling lovers who watch their network to at least send a note saying "while we appreciate the time and energy you put into our first online video casting effort, unfortunately we have selected our representatives and..."

Again, sorry for the length folks!

SmokeInDaEye
06-05-2008, 11:08 PM
Dang, that was a long rant. I typed it on the train but I hope someone takes a second to read it.

FatDaddy
06-05-2008, 11:18 PM
Sorry you didn't make the final 12 Clint. That is total crap. I've never been a big fan of Booby Flame anyway, This pretty well seals the deal for me to boycott his show. I' enjoyed both yours and Bossman's video and am ready to give that steak and shrimp a go.

Forney
06-05-2008, 11:18 PM
Rant read!

Clint, hold your chin up. You're an upstanding individual. At least you didn't lie to get the Food Network like that Dinner Impossible guy or that Next Food Network Star fellow...

timzcardz
06-06-2008, 04:42 AM
THAT'S the kind of feedback I had hoped for, especially when there are maybe 50 videos, 12 selected.

Clint,

You are being far to kind to them.

If I recall correctly, when you submitted yours to them back in early April, they were only partway into page 2 of the submissions, or less than 50 (versus the 120 they are at now).

Now less than 2 months later they ave already shot all 12 episodes?

Bullchit!

If all 12 episodes are already shot, I'm guessing that they had already made "selections" before you even submitted yours, maybe even before the very first video was submitted.

And still they say "If you're selected, you could appear on Bobby's new show, Grill It! with Bobby Flay, premiering this summer."

IMHO, this was just a ploy to populate the site with content and draw attention and visitors. Hey, it was a good plan. It got our attention and visits.

Westexbbq
06-06-2008, 08:36 AM
Clint,
I did, it reads well and you are right on.
They really dropped the ball in so many ways but the courtesy of a "thanks for trying" note of some sort should have been an automatic consideration.
Too bad really and certainly not a good effort by the network et al.
Keep smilin', I know you will.

SmokeInDaEye
06-20-2008, 08:44 PM
Thanks to Motoeric, I am about to embark on the Clint and Colin show, part two. I'm going to film my video in the next two weeks but will let the brethren decide between two recipes I'm playing with. I'll post a poll this weekend so we can decide as a community! They actually did exactly what I thought the food network thing should have been, more of a social networking site and less content building.

I've started building out my page on the site. Check it out here: http://grillingcontest.mariobatali.com/kickapps/service/displayKickPlace.kickAction?u=2741841&as=27485&b=

Bossmanbbq
06-20-2008, 09:49 PM
[quote=SmokeInDaEye;655933]I
The ultimate part of the entire process, though, was getting to help Bossman figure out how to post his video for weeks then finally watching it and being blown out of my seat! His tips and methods and dedication to sharing was exactly what I had hoped for. I was the first to watch it, watched it a ton more, and would have been proud knowing he was one of the 12 instead of me.
quote]

Hey Brother You ROCK!! If it wasn't for you I would've never got my freakin video on the site:wink:
I'm very disappointed as well that neither of us were picked for this. After watching alot of the videos I was confident that one of us would've been selected. Most of the videos are more of a "Next Foodnetwork Star" interviews then grilling videos.
I look at this way, My video was posted on a National Site, I got to share what I love with alot of people and I was able to represent this forum with pride and respect :cool:
I may do another video and enter a few more contests who knows. But at least I got my feet wet with something I wanted to do! Thanks again Clint, You are the MAN!!
And also THANKS to all of you for all the positve comments and encouragement, I 'm very honored and proud to be a part of this group!!

SmokeInDaEye
06-20-2008, 10:48 PM
[quote=SmokeInDaEye;655933]I
quote]

Hey Brother You ROCK!! If it wasn't for you I would've never got my freakin video on the site:wink:
I'm very disappointed as well that neither of us were picked for this. After watching alot of the videos I was confident that one of us would've been selected. Most of the videos are more of a "Next Foodnetwork Star" interviews then grilling videos.
I look at this way, My video was posted on a National Site, I got to share what I love with alot of people and I was able to represent this forum with pride and respect :cool:
I may do another video and enter a few more contests who knows. But at least I got my feet wet with something I wanted to do! Thanks again Clint, You are the MAN!!
And also THANKS to all of you for all the positve comments and encouragement, I 'm very honored and proud to be a part of this group!!

No need to thank me for anything. I'm just doing what I do...enjoying friends, taking advantage of business relationships, and making up stuff to grill! Wait until you see what I'm planning for option two for my Mario video, Bossman! I'm going to try it for the first time Sunday and will post pix.

MostlySmoke
06-20-2008, 11:38 PM
I thought you did a great job!

Qcrue2U
06-21-2008, 12:07 AM
Very NICE video!!!! Good JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AC/DC in the background............ SinCity..... NICE TOUCH!!!!

BBQ Bandit
06-21-2008, 09:44 AM
Brothers and Sisters...

Realizing the disappointments on the television network... The Poobah and the Brethren have ultimately accomplished what the Food network could not. Unify an international BBQ interest under one family forum.

Each day... am touched by the warmth of frendship, humor, and the varous times the Brethren are called, banding together for a cause. The collective knowledge base of BBQ... where the tagline comes to merit..."From the Backyard to the American Royal" becomes a reality.

Can anyone see it? So the Brethren collective is not on the TV... yet.
Brethren TV .... BBQ TV. Does anyone imagine Poobah and the Elders having control of a TV network?:eek::eek::eek: :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

There's no place for the Woodpile on regular cable.
A premium pay channel?
Pay per view?

All humor aside, This place rocks!!!!

Cabntmkr1
06-21-2008, 11:14 AM
Smoke-Bossman, you guys are awesome!
Thanks for the good time we had rooting for the two of you.
My take on Bobby Flay is that he's a pretty good guy.
I don't think he was worried about anyone showing him up, I mean he does that throw-down show and loses on there.
When he loses on there he displays a real sportsmanship attitude.
I have a feeling he didn't get to pick the videos... it was done by some knucklehead producer.
You know, like on his throw-down show when he gets a piece of paper telling him who he's going up against.
That's just my thought...
You guys are pretty cool....

SmokeInDaEye
06-22-2008, 08:10 PM
Here's a poll if anyone wants to help decide what my next video will be. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44859

SmokeInDaEye
06-27-2009, 09:39 AM
Just found some behind-the-scenes footage from my very first video, lobster stuffed steak. Kind of fun to watch.

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp15/SmokeInDaEye/th_flay1.jpg (http://s393.photobucket.com/albums/pp15/SmokeInDaEye/?action=view&current=flay1.flv)

Frank Sacco
06-27-2009, 10:40 AM
I still enjoy watching this video. I was showing a friend the other day. Very impressive!

timzcardz
06-28-2009, 07:53 AM
Clint, some good watching there!

When are we going to get "SIDE, The Lost Episodes?"

SmokeInDaEye
06-28-2009, 09:40 AM
Clint, some good watching there!

When are we going to get "SIDE, The Lost Episodes?"

Very soon. I've been transfering old tapes to digital this weekend and found a ton of stuff I taped but never used including a whole pulled pork video. Or maybe I'll save them for release after my passing.