PDA

View Full Version : Do you like your own cooking?

icemn62
04-09-2008, 05:36 PM
Lately whenever I BBQ something I find thatI am not happy with it after it is done. I may take a taste of it and like that, but I no longer seem to have a desire to "pig out" on my food. Other people tell me the food is good, but I can always find something "wrong" with it, even if it is only an appearance thing.

Does this happen to you?

JediDog
04-09-2008, 06:10 PM
I don't know if you cook daily or just on weekends, but sometimes when I cook a lot you kind of tend to get fed up with the same things and when this happens I tend to not want to try my own food until the next day. Don't know if that makes any sense or not , but that happens to me often. Oh and the food is great.

Pipin' Pig
04-09-2008, 06:38 PM
I am happy with my go to back yard stuff, but now that I have taken a competition class and do test cooks 2-3 times a month I find those I am not hugely satisfied with.

Goes to show you cook different for yourself than for the judges.

txschutte
04-09-2008, 06:44 PM
I find the act of barbecueing to be much more satisfying than the product. I have found that as my skills advance, so do my standards for my own cooking. I am still trying to get it "just right" by what I think is good food. I tend to scrutinize it when others are falling all over it.

Smokey D
04-09-2008, 06:49 PM
I'm with you icemn - I think I'm a little picky about my own cooking and would love to do better. One of the ways I know I'm doing OK is when I cook for the guys at work. You start heating it up and the smell gets around the next thing you know it's gone and a lot of happy faces.

smokeandbeer
04-09-2008, 07:00 PM
I am pretty critical of my own cooking, and can usually find something I can do better next time. The plates at my house are always emptied, so it must be okay. I thought the family was just being nice, so I started taking some to the neighbors to get opinions, and they are eating it too, so it must be okay.

nmayeux
04-09-2008, 07:10 PM
Maybe its time to shake things up! I know your cooking is great, but we all get tired of the same things. Over the past month, I worked on my spatchcocked chicken and tried making bacon.

On the other hand, I snack a lot as I cook, and I do seem to eat less after a long cook. Anyway, if you get tired of your stuff, just send some to Georgia!

CajunSmoker
04-09-2008, 07:18 PM
Maybe its time to shake things up! I know your cooking is great, but we all get tired of the same things. Over the past month, I worked on my spatchcocked chicken and tried making bacon.

On the other hand, I snack a lot as I cook, and I do seem to eat less after a long cook. Anyway, if you get tired of your stuff, just send some to Georgia!

That's my feelings exactly. I get tired of the same old butt/brisket/rib thing. I like to do different things. I have a pork loin curing in Andouille sausage cure that I'm going to stuff with the trinity and some crawfish tails and smoke this weekend:cool: Gotta do different stuff. Make youself a batch of Buckboard bacon.

icemn62
04-09-2008, 07:27 PM
That may be the answer for me, I think I am just to picky, but it may be that I need to add some new stuff to the lineup. Saturday I am to smoke a meatloaf and I am sure the GF will have some type of idea of what she wants me to cook. I do know that I will NOT be cooking chicken again for some time. I just did 30 pcs for a pot luck here and I am sick of the stuff.

Sawdustguy
04-09-2008, 07:40 PM
Do we love to eat our own cooking? Does a Bear defocate in the foliage?:biggrin:

capri man
04-09-2008, 07:47 PM
maybe we should swap some Q back and forth with each other. ok, someone start it by sending me something!!!:-P:-P:wink:

BBQ_MAFIA
04-09-2008, 07:51 PM
I like my food very much.
I'm always very critical of it and I always want to imporve, but over all, I'm usually very pleased with the results.

bertkemtncurs
04-09-2008, 08:08 PM
I like everything I cook, except ribs. Everyone else loves them, but I just can't seem to get them the way I want them!

Jaberwabee
04-09-2008, 08:14 PM
I am the same, once I am done cooking after all the prep, smoking, and coolering. When we eat I am usually not satisfied or even hungry, but everyone else loves it. Now most of the time the next day I like it again.

mm_0_mm
04-09-2008, 08:36 PM
I'm the same way. maybe because I am always pulling off all the ends and sampling them as soon as they start getting cooked!

I think I have a certain flavor/texture goal in mind when I start...when the outcome doesn't match I am always disappointed. It also happens when I try to make homemade pizza.

CaptGrumpy
04-09-2008, 08:37 PM
I am my own worst critic! I have not had anything to bitch about lately and everyone is going hog wild over my dishes. I am tending to start to eat in a more moderate fashion and seem to be keeping my physique loking better than uisual.

jestridge
04-09-2008, 09:12 PM
After a big cook I not usually hungry. But other people seem to love it. For instance a few week ago a did some chicken leg and thiegh for a church supper actually i felt bad about bring them they was eaten up an people still asking for them
I thought they was awful

Greendriver
04-09-2008, 09:15 PM
My waist size says YEP.

JohnMcD348
04-09-2008, 09:22 PM
This has been going on with me since day one of my BBQing. Everyone says I am my own worst critic when it comes to my que. I think I'm OK but it seems like everyone elses I taste is so much better than mine.

chinesebob
04-09-2008, 09:29 PM
I'm with you guys. People love my food. Even when I know I've messed it up some way, it never lasts. But it's a strange day that I actually chow down on it. The smells and the process usually fill me up.

One of the reasons I cook really comes down to being able to see other people enjoy it. I love watching my boys walking around double fisting brisket pieces while chewing away. Work has been killing everyone lately and I know that nothing makes the week better for them when I bring in Hump Day bbq.

LMAJ
04-09-2008, 09:51 PM
If I am doing a big cook (of anything) I am usually not that hungry once it comes time to eat - but the next day is a different story.

watertowerbbq
04-09-2008, 09:56 PM
I think I get more satisfaction out of giving away what I cook rather than eating the food myself. I can usually find something wrong with what I cooked, but as stated before, I never have trouble getting rid of it. The only critic I really trust is my wife. I know that she won't hold anything back! :eek:

Last weekend I tried a new way of cooking chicken thighs. I brought some over to the neighbors guys who were out in the garage cooking some ribs. Gave them some to try and I tried one myself. As soon as I bit into it, I knew it was dry, but they all loved it. They looked at me like I was nuts when I told them it was dry. When I asked my wife what she thought, she replied, "These are ok for dinner, but not nearly good enough for competition." God love her. :-D

I may be in the minority, but I am a firm believer that pulled pork actually tastes better the next day.

Harbormaster
04-09-2008, 10:02 PM
I love my own cooking.
I am the best BBQ cook there is, you guys and judges be damned!
Ask my kids, they'll tell ya.

Coz
04-09-2008, 10:16 PM
I love my own cooking.

Coz will verify your a fine cook,but the best is a short drive north and you bribe those kids:evil:

BBQ Grail
04-09-2008, 10:17 PM
I always find something I'd do differently the next time. That's what improving is all about. That being said, I think I do a good job all and all.

chinesebob
04-09-2008, 10:30 PM
I may be in the minority, but I am a firm believer that pulled pork actually tastes better the next day.

Pulled pork, brisket, ribs, shoot even spaghetti tastes better the next day.

Divemaster
04-09-2008, 10:47 PM
I find the act of barbecueing to be much more satisfying than the product. I have found that as my skills advance, so do my standards for my own cooking. I am still trying to get it "just right" by what I think is good food. I tend to scrutinize it when others are falling all over it.

I am pretty critical of my own cooking, and can usually find something I can do better next time. The plates at my house are always emptied, so it must be okay. I thought the family was just being nice, so I started taking some to the neighbors to get opinions, and they are eating it too, so it must be okay.
I think I'm my worst critic... I'm always trying to make it just that little bit better....

I'm with you guys. People love my food. Even when I know I've messed it up some way, it never lasts. But it's a strange day that I actually chow down on it. The smells and the process usually fill me up.

One of the reasons I cook really comes down to being able to see other people enjoy it. I love watching my boys walking around double fisting brisket pieces while chewing away. Work has been killing everyone lately and I know that nothing makes the week better for them when I bring in Hump Day bbq.
I've recently taken some 'samples' to the cigar lounge for others to try... They are now pushing me to come up with a menu that they can order from when I do my next big cook.... I'm thinking that this may help support my habit....

backporchbbq
04-09-2008, 11:11 PM
It is not that I don't like my own cooking I am just extra critical. I spend a lot of time, as you all do, trying to make it perfect. Everytime I cook Q I pretend it is competition style. I have had people tell me they love it, but I am not extremely happy. It is the next couple days that I become less critical. We are our own worst critic.

Sea Dog
04-09-2008, 11:42 PM
Well....yeah, i do like my own cooking. Lol! But i know I could do better. My biggest problem is that I get really hungry while i'm smoking. So what i did was trim off the rib tips and cooked them along with the rest. the tips were done quicker and man....we ate on those things like crazy! Lol! Top it off with some Bud and we had a real fine day.

:mrgreen:

Puppyboy
04-09-2008, 11:50 PM
...I may be in the minority, but I am a firm believer that pulled pork actually tastes better the next day.I am right there with you.

I love my own cooking.
Ask my kids, they'll tell ya.Rock on Bro!!!

I enjoy the total experience. From selecting the meat in the store, to prepping it, mixing the rubs, cooking it, playing with the fire, and slicing to eat. There are some cooks where the family just loves it but being critcal of my self and trying to become better, I can find something I can improve upon.

Magnum
04-09-2008, 11:59 PM
I like variations. Little change here, little change there. Always try to mix it up and I never get tired of cooking or tired of what I cook. I am not doing "big cooks" though I really enjoy cooking for others. I am very thankful to eat as well as I do. :-D

darthtrader
04-10-2008, 01:27 AM
I kind of fell into being the primary cook in the house because I've just become more particular about preparation and flavours over the years. I do like my own cooking. In fact, I find it hard to eat in restaurants a lot because I'm so particular. What restaurants out here call jambalaya out here is a joke!

However, when I cook huge amounts like during Thanksgiving, I have to step away from all the food and smells for an hour or two before I can eat. I guess I get so overwhelmed by the smells while cooking that if I dive right into dinner straight away, all the food tastes really bland and dull to me, which is not the case if I give myself time to relax and breathe.

Bearbonez
04-10-2008, 02:18 AM
It's part self critical sometimes. Sometimes it's just after hours of cooking (not just Q) I am not hungry. It looks great, smells great, may taste great, but I just don't want to eat much. For me thought, the satisfaction is in the art. As long as others really enjoy it and it's made thier day, I did what I set out to do. For my own expectations, especially with new creations, as lond as it tastes as it it did in my minds when I came up with the idea for the recipe, I am more than satisfied.

Single Fin Smoker
04-10-2008, 02:48 AM
Lately all my cooking sucks. Wife hates it too. I dunno what the problem is, and thinkin of just goin the fast food route.

swamprb
04-10-2008, 04:36 AM
I think I'm spoiled, because I too like to mix things up a bit. Even if its cooking the four meats I try them on different cookers, using different seasonings, sauces or woods picked up in the trades. I'm never really satisfied, but enjoy the experience. It really gets to my wife! She'll say something like "these are good, but I liked the ones you cooked last time!" and I've already forgotten that cook! But I'm a big leftover eater, and cook extra for quick meals during the week, and I work nights so I pack my lunch, since nothing but fast food is open at 3AM!

butts a fire
04-10-2008, 09:57 AM
I have to say I love my food, normally. But I am very critical of it and even more so since I started doing contests a few years ago. But even if it is not my best I have no problem eating it. The only thing I can't eat is my contest style ribs they are way too sweet for my taste but the judges seem to like them.

Magnum
04-10-2008, 11:17 PM
Geez already, I would like to amend or rescind my remark. It happened tonight. I cooked a pork loin end in the smoker to 155 deg. Took about 3 hours. I did not care for it. Plenty juicy. I wish I had butterflied it and marinated it or something to get some more flavor in it. I also now wish I had cooked it longer. Memphis rub on the outside. I am about done with that also. I think it is the celery salt bugging me. The expedience just made me hungry for some rib cops (grilled). They didn't have any thick ones so that is why I got this.
Luckily the fatty was left on for an extended period and turned out great. I need to cook them harder or longer or both.
How do you think that loin meat will hold up in bean soup?

blues brother
04-10-2008, 11:55 PM
The next day is always better to me. If there is any left. My oldest son always wants to know "why I don't like it"...I don't like it cause I know I can do better.
I think there is a lot of truth to the "prep, cooking, smells etc..." fouling up your senses and making the "Q" not as desirable as it should be. Keep on smoking and let everybody else be the judge.

Single Fin Smoker
04-11-2008, 03:17 AM
Ya know....swamp just nailed it. Wifes been sayin ".....I liked it better the way you did it the last time......". It's like I hear it in my sleep or something.

Those corned beef Stater briskets(I bought a chit load of and are taking up precious room in my freezer) suck. Too salty, even after soaking in water and pating dry.

Made spring rolls the other nite-----sucked, for her that is. Redemption was had tonight however. Thank god for left over pulled pork tacos!

DaChief
04-11-2008, 07:23 AM
Dayum...and I thought it was just me. After a day of cooking, I can usually care less whether I eat or not. Everyone else is ready though. My wife usually makes it a point to ask me sarcastically "What do you think was wrong this time?" as I do nitpick my own cooking. But I do like leftovers....esp them prime rib sammies when i can beat my kids to them!

Magnum
04-11-2008, 07:54 AM
Ya know....swamp just nailed it. Wifes been sayin ".....I liked it better the way you did it the last time......". It's like I hear it in my sleep or something.

Those corned beef Stater briskets(I bought a chit load of and are taking up precious room in my freezer) suck. Too salty, even after soaking in water and pating dry.

Made spring rolls the other nite-----sucked, for her that is. Redemption was had tonight however. Thank god for left over pulled pork tacos!

I had made some pulled pork nachos last week also. We really liked them.

River City Smokehouse
04-11-2008, 08:08 AM
I'll say this. I used to not eat after cooking for a long cook because I just didn't want BBQ after being in the smoke for so long, but since I took on a FEC I have an appetite. I think it has something to do with the smoke inhalation or something. I'm not trying to be funny, that is what I have noticed.

Papa Hogg
04-11-2008, 09:57 AM

*cough, cough...Princeton...cough, cough* :wink:

It's not that I'm not satisfied or dislike what I cook, but after a day of tending the pit & wallowing in smoke I typically have no taste for "Q" even if I shower first & get the grit & smoke off I typically do not enjoy it that much. I too LOVE my leftovers, after being removed from it for a day or 2 I seem to get the taste for it back.

Harbormaster
04-11-2008, 10:10 AM
*cough, cough...Princeton...cough, cough* :wink:
You're as bad as my wife, dredging that chit up from the past. :mrgreen:

One bad brisket and I'm ruined.

hd4me
04-11-2008, 10:31 AM
I'm with you on this one. I enjoy my cooking and we are all our own worst critic. But I really like cooking for friends and family, they love it when I cook, they call me every week about Wednesday and ask whats on the menu for the weekend. So I guess I'm doing something right!:lol:

Papa Hogg
04-11-2008, 10:44 AM
You're as bad as my wife, dredging that chit up from the past. :mrgreen:

One bad brisket and I'm ruined.

You know I actually liked the flavor of the brisket, it was an excellent breakfast...I just can't pass on an opportunity to give you a little chit :lol:

I'll bring an alarm clock to Deforest for you :wink:

Sea Dog
04-11-2008, 12:50 PM
*Laughing* I just dont understand you folks. Maybe its because I ahvent cooked enough that it has become a chore...or drugery. But when I cooked my pork butts & ribs, I babied it the whole time. I was sitting there staring at that smoker, watching it smoke, and my dog was right there beside me....for hours! And we were both about to slobber all over ourselves. ROFL!

when it was FINALLY done, I ate,a nd I ate and I ate. (Yeah, the dog got some good bones and a little pork and grease too). Next day I ate, and ate and ate.

When i die and get to the Pearly Gates...I sure hope they got good BBQ up there in the land of glory.

Gosh-amighty I love BBQ!!!!!!

:wink:

JD McGee
04-11-2008, 09:54 PM
For the most part I do enjoy my own cooking. At home I always cook / grill / smoke for flavor...hang the presentation or "bite-me-skin"!