PDA

View Full Version : Double Barrel Smoker - next phase

BBQ Bandit
04-09-2008, 03:51 PM
Completed the lower (firepit) barrel and air intake...

1. The fire grate will sit on (2) 1-1/2" angle iron... 45* apart from vertical.
2. The 2" bung hole will be @ 6:00 position... below the firegrate surface, thereby drawing air up from below thru the charcoal firegrate (better efficiency).
3. Using a 28" wide firegrate w/ vertical sides... envisioning up to 20 lbs of charcoal capacity. Thinking minion method at this point... or a partitioned charcoal box.
4. The air intake will be 2" black pipe (24" + 18" long)... separated by a ball valve.
5. The "topper" on the intake is an aluminum electrical service masthead. Just might turn the head around over the barrel... radiated, heated air will enter back into the intake. One feature I may add is similar to modern car exhaust... running a small return line from the chimney (exhaust) back to the air intake... intending to add pre-heated air back into the fire chamber thru the draft.
6. The lower door will be sealed by hi-temp silicone with the tensioning clamps in place to reduce air gaps.

The upper smoke chamber will be nearly identical in design except for the additional exhaust vents and without intakes.
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff72/bbq-brethren/masthead-1.jpg
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff72/bbq-brethren/masthead-section.jpg

I know... my ideas are a blowing the "inexpensive concept" out of the water at this point.

Mad Scientist mod.:mrgreen:
PA

STX Cue
04-09-2008, 05:01 PM
Color me impressed!

Now me, I would burn my shins every time I got near the thing, but I like it!

capri man
04-09-2008, 06:31 PM
those things work great!! my top barrell burned out pretty quick though!! i would have thought the bottom one would have went first but it was still in pretty good shape!:confused:

Divemaster
04-09-2008, 11:00 PM
Love the design work...

Color me impressed!

Now me, I would burn my shins every time I got near the thing, but I like it!
That's the frist thing that came to mind when I saw it!

Maybe something along....
O
..\
...O

In other words, set the bottom drum back some...

Bentley
04-10-2008, 03:16 PM
A Turbo charged pit...heard it all now!

Mark
04-10-2008, 04:08 PM
Nope, a few of us have gone with turbocharged intakes