PDA

View Full Version : Late but good (pron)

TexEx
04-09-2008, 01:22 PM
I had a 6 1/2 lb butt in the freezer from several months ago and decided I would smoke it and invite some neighbors over for pulled pork sammies. The wife, a lover of brisket, said we should also do a brisket so I went to Wally World and got a 10 1/2 lb packer. I told the wife to invite more people! I rubbed and then refrigerated both meats overnight (different rubs). I got a late start in the morning and got the brisket on about 5:30am and I put the butt on about 2 hours later. I was trying to get them to finish about the same time. I happen to have some JD spicy sausage and made myself a sausage and cheese fatty for breakfast. Wife liked it too.

Neighbors came over about 5:00pm but the meats were still not ready so we sat, talked and drank adult beverages. I had been smoking at about 220 most of the day but made it higher trying to force them to finish quicker. Took off brisket first, let it rest, and then served it. The people loved it. They never had brisket before.
Then the butt came off and I pulled it after about 20 minutes rest. It was enjoyed as well with burger buns and cole slaw. Had beans, potato salad, pickles, tomatoes and onions.

I did learn that I have to re-estimate my cooking times when I have several pieces of meat on for a long time.

Some pics: Brisket trimmed and ready to rub; Butt trimmed and ready to rub; Hatty, Brisket and Butt on my smoker; Fatty ready to eat; and Brisket sliced.
Neighbors want to do it again!

Ray

augie
04-09-2008, 01:30 PM
What a good neighbor!

Must be something about living in Florida, having your smoker on the screened in pool deck, looking out at a lake (retention pond?).

Let me guess - did you and the neighbors hang out in your driveway while you enjoyed the feast?

It all sounds so eerily familiar.....

smokinvic
04-09-2008, 01:31 PM
That looks AWESOME!! I have not yet tried to smoke a brisket. Can't wait for that experience.

Magnum
04-09-2008, 01:35 PM
Looks really good. I agree and I am going to start earlier in the future and try to get it in the cooler 2 hrs. ahead of eating so I can relax instead of worrying about the meat and ignoring guests and smelling like the smoker and peeking at the meat and cranking the temp up to get it done. Although that way they will probably be missing ends and pieces as I sample. Just my plan.

jrick33
04-09-2008, 01:38 PM
Love the potatoe thermometer holder mod...... I cut the potatoe in half, two smokes out of one potatoe..... good looking grub.....

bbqbull
04-09-2008, 02:24 PM
Your food looks awesome.

Were there any leftovers?

big brother smoke
04-09-2008, 02:30 PM
Nice brisket you got there!

Scrooge Fan
04-09-2008, 05:44 PM
Awsome smoke ring on that brisket!

BBQ Grail
04-09-2008, 10:44 PM
Nice looking brisket. The smoke ring is fantastic.

Divemaster
04-09-2008, 10:51 PM
You are the MAN!!!! I'm thinking I need to move south!!!

Cabntmkr1
04-10-2008, 06:30 AM
Very nice smoke ring guy! Food looks awesome... great job.:mrgreen:

OSD
04-10-2008, 07:13 AM
Very nice looking smoke ring. I try to let rest brisket about 2-3 hours before slicing and butts at least 1 hour, they just seem to be better eatin'. JMHO
No need to sit in the driveway, just sit by the pool and relax.:grin:

DaChief
04-10-2008, 07:35 AM
What a good neighbor!

Must be something about living in Florida, having your smoker on the screened in pool deck, looking out at a lake (retention pond?).

Let me guess - did you and the neighbors hang out in your driveway while you enjoyed the feast?

HeHeHe...what you mean?

Pron looks graet, nice smoke ring for sure! Any bass in that LAKE?:biggrin:

BobBrisket
04-10-2008, 12:39 PM
NICE!! Very nice. Killer SR.

TexEx
04-10-2008, 04:01 PM
What a good neighbor!

I recently pressure cleaned the lanai/deck and moved my smoker to the garage and used it out in the driveway... The neighbors hung out by the pool and the lake view. Yes it is a retention pond but much larger than the average. It probably meanders for over a mile and connects to another neighborhood and can reach the Gulf when the water is high.

Your food looks awesome.
Were there any leftovers?

Not too much. Most of the folks never had Brisket or Pulled Pork before (sheltered life mod) and ate their fill and asked for some take-home too!

No need to sit in the driveway, just sit by the pool and relax.:grin:

Thats exectly what we did... Life is goooood!

Any bass in that LAKE?:biggrin:

Yes, lots of big bass. Some catfish, some tilapia when water is high (from the Gulf). Turtles too. Stop by when you are in the area and be my guest for fishing (and Q'ing and maybe some brew)... Oh I forgot. A couple of Gators...

Smokin Gator
04-10-2008, 04:09 PM
Looks great brother... I will be in Ft. Myers this weekend. You cookin'?

tonto1117
04-10-2008, 04:27 PM
Looks great!!

Sea Dog
04-10-2008, 05:02 PM
I'm telling ya felas....my mouth just waters when I look at all that fine cooking!!! Loved that smoke ring too!

:mrgreen: