PDA

View Full Version : No more grilling in the dark

Bearbonez
04-09-2008, 11:37 AM
I cooked up 3 big fat porterhouse last night when it was a little too dark. I didnt baby sit them, and I guess I was pre occupied, or my internal clock is whacked or something...anyway, they looked fine when I turtned them over. I thought after what was about 8-10 minutes, I pulled them off. They looked great. Served them up with some pan fried taters and some baby bellas sauteed in butter with a balsamic reduction.
Cut into the steak....medium all the way through, maybe even closer to medium well. Needless to say I quickly got in a foul mood ruining such nice and expensive cuts. I guess they will be ok sliced with some eggs or on sammies with plenty of condiment.
And to think, I'll usually have a sarcastic remark when I see someone ordering a medium or past steak. On that note, I think I am going to go to Lowe's today and some sort of better lighting for the grill.

bbqbull
04-09-2008, 11:40 AM
Thats just too bad!

Grilling under a light is a bad idea, been there and done the same thing.

Might I reccomend an instant read thermometer. I use a Thermopen for grilling steaks and they now turn out perfectly every time.

BBQ Bandit
04-09-2008, 11:43 AM
I cooked up 3 big fat porterhouse last night when it was a little too dark. I didnt baby sit them, and I guess I was pre occupied, or my internal clock is whacked or something...anyway, they looked fine when I turtned them over. I thought after what was about 8-10 minutes, I pulled them off. They looked great. Served them up with some pan fried taters and some baby bellas sauteed in butter with a balsamic reduction.
Cut into the steak....medium all the way through, maybe even closer to medium well. Needless to say I quickly got in a foul mood ruining such nice and expensive cuts. I guess they will be ok sliced with some eggs or on sammies with plenty of condiment.
And to think, I'll usually have a sarcastic remark when I see someone ordering a medium or past steak. On that note, I think I am going to go to Lowe's today and some sort of better lighting for the grill.

In those circumstances... I wish I wired up Motion-detected floodlights over my grilling area. Seen a few cheap, imported knock-offs which are solar-powered.

Maybe once I cleared the HoneyDo List... (not anytime soon).
PA

Sledneck
04-09-2008, 11:56 AM
I grill on the side of my with no light. Practice going by feel (poke test) It is real interesting once you get the hang of it, or get a trusty blue thermapen. Seriuosly though never go by time always feel

Cre-B-Ce
04-09-2008, 12:49 PM
I have two flood lights on the back of my house. One bulb from each is pointed directly at the cooking area.

STX Cue
04-09-2008, 01:36 PM
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200309801_200309801http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200309801_200309801

Got a set of these dudes for cooking at night. Plus it makes it easier to see the washers board...

Pipin' Pig
04-09-2008, 05:46 PM
I just got a similar item from Lowes. Two 500 watt halogen lamps mounted to a similar tripod. Paid $34.99 for them on sale and each lamp has a high and low setting so you can go from 250 watts on a singly light up to the combined 1000 watts which is quite bright.

capri man
04-09-2008, 06:27 PM
I grill on the side of my with no light. Practice going by feel (poke test) It is real interesting once you get the hang of it, or get a trusty blue thermapen. Seriuosly though never go by time always feel

BLUE????? everyone knowes the purple one is better!!!:mrgreen::mrgreen::wink:

Bbq Bubba
04-09-2008, 07:26 PM
Must have been really dark...your camera flash could'a shed some lite for ya...:twisted:

chinesebob
04-09-2008, 09:03 PM
I use the halogen's when I've got the tent up in the driveway. But the motion detector is great for most stuff. And for Porterhouse? I would have err'd on the side under cooked. Shoot I eat them raw if my wife isn't around. Yes y'all heard it. RAW MEAT.

bbqbull
04-09-2008, 09:42 PM
Thats just too bad!

Grilling under a light is a bad idea, been there and done the same thing.

Might I reccomend an instant read thermometer. I use a Thermopen for grilling steaks and they now turn out perfectly every time.

Im referring to being a deer camp, in the middle of an 80 acre field w/no power after prime time afternoon hunting.
No power, just a half dead flashlite 2 hrs after dark.

BBQ Grail
04-09-2008, 10:36 PM
Sorry to hear about your mishap. But in this case I believe the Brethren Rule saves you...

No pics...didn't happen.

Barbarian
04-09-2008, 10:37 PM
In my little Q shack I have put up two 4 foot, 2 lamp flourecent fixtures and they work great. Plugged them into a surge protector with a on/off switch and ready to go. I get to cook more in the winter then summer due to work and had to be able to cook under lights.

Bearbonez
04-10-2008, 01:31 AM
The light is more for me not standing in the dark with a flashlight, not so much to see the meat. More an attention span thing. Especially with a 2 zone fire, so my wife can have her medium steak, and mine with carmelized fat with the rest slapped on the ass and passed through a warm room, and ready to serve at the same time. Other words, if it's dark, I aint baby sitting. But luckily here, I didnt take any pics...so it must have been a bad dream. I wont bother taking pics of the porterhouse sammies. I'll save the memory card for the next Q. :wink:

RichardF
04-10-2008, 01:38 AM

yep - Learn to work by touch. use your finger tips to press into the meat. The amount of yield is a pretty good indication of doneness

Bearbonez
04-10-2008, 02:05 AM
yep - Learn to work by touch. use your finger tips to press into the meat. The amount of yield is a pretty good indication of doneness
Yup, I do that. The bent thumb of rule. closest to thumb is rare, at bottom....needs to be buried and given a funeral. :wink:

Kevin Garceau
04-10-2008, 07:55 AM
ha.... I dont blame it on the steak. But the person who hands me mine well or even med well - they may be buried and given a very brief funeral.

BBQchef33
04-10-2008, 10:41 AM
Yup, I do that. The bent thumb of rule. closest to thumb is rare, at bottom....needs to be buried and given a funeral. :wink:

right. poke the meat with a finger. If it fells like
... soft spot at the base of your thumb.. Rare
... tip of your nose.. medium
.... chin.. well done.

doin it like that you can cook in the dark, just dont miss and poke the grill. Then your finger becomes rare. :cool:

tonto1117
04-10-2008, 10:48 AM
right. poke the meat with a finger. If it fells like
... soft spot at the base of your thumb.. Rare
... tip of your nose.. medium
.... chin.. well done.

doin it like that you can cook in the dark, just dont miss and poke the grill. Then your finger becomes rare. :cool:

Wow....very cool guide to go by!!! Thx!!