PDA

View Full Version : Another question about UDS "Burn Out"

MTHank
04-09-2008, 10:24 AM
Is it bad to use evergreen wood (pine, fir or larch) to do the burn outs on a new drum for a UDS or does one need to use "Hard Wood" only? I do know you can not use evergreen wood for smoking meats, but? Will it leave any residue or smell in the drum metal that may end up in meat when it finally is used for smoking. I can get pallets that are hard wood but they sometimes have something on them (don't have a clue what it is), but would these be better than the "soft woods" to use for a burn out? We don't use the pallets in wood stoves we use for home heating (used 5 cords this winter). Hard wood up here in Montana is difficult to come by and I have to "Buy" any hard wood and could be expensive just to do burn outs. Thanks...

MTHank

Fatback Joe
04-09-2008, 10:36 AM
Anything wrong with using charcoal?

Divemaster
04-09-2008, 10:52 AM
Anything wrong with using charcoal?
That's what I would use... Your only looking for the temps, and not seasoning it at this point... Save the hard wood for later and grab some cheap kingsford....

Stan41
04-09-2008, 01:31 PM
For the burn out of paint I used yellow pine scraps that I had left over from a building project. I have cooked on mine several times and it has no taste left from the pine.
Stan

Dr_KY
04-09-2008, 01:44 PM
I used pallets, brush, stray timber and just about anything that will burn other than raw fuel. If you burn it properly everything will turn to carbon and be removed when you wire brush it. As mentioned above you are not seasoning at this point so set it ablaze.