PDA

View Full Version : How many can I feed?

Leeper
04-08-2008, 12:14 PM
Going to break in the new Caja China this weekend with a bunch of guys at the coast. I have an ~ 100lb pig ready to go into the box but wondering if that is going to be enough meat for 50 guys?

Assuming it is not - the plan is to take my two WSM along and do up some drumsticks and thighs to go along with the pork. Any idea how many chicken legs you can get on the two racks of the WSM?

I could also bring along a bunch of pulled pork that I have vacuumed and frozen but worry that it will be too similar to the roast pork.

I have access to a full commercial kitchen at the property if I need to warm or reheat things.

Yes there will be photos of the event.

BobBrisket
04-08-2008, 12:28 PM
Will there be sides? I say it will be more than enough.

Leeper
04-08-2008, 12:29 PM
Will there be sides? I say it will be more than enough.

Yes there will be sides, but meat is the primary objective for this meal.

Mad Max
04-08-2008, 12:45 PM
A while back, I inquired about get a pig to roast and the local butcher suggested that avg. portion is 1lb. to 1 1/2 lbs. In my opinion, you can always bring the butt, and if it is needed you have a back up. I am trying to convience the wife that we need a "Caja China". I tried the finished product and it was awesome.
P.S. Don't forget the Mojo marinande.
Best Wishes!

BobBrisket
04-08-2008, 12:53 PM
If you have some room in the Caja then toss in a few extra butts and they will cook right along with the hog! That way you have backup.

Roo-B-Q'N
04-08-2008, 02:39 PM
I don't know, I would think 100# is small for 50 guys. That is going to be less than 1/2# after removing from the carcus. I would do butts on the WSMs and just pull or chop it and add it to the piggy.

Just my 2 cents.

Mark
04-08-2008, 02:55 PM
The Mexicans invented these edible napkin thingies they call tortillas. Throw a little pulled pork in them along with beans lettuce, cheese (etc.) and you can stretch that littel piggy a long way.

swamprb
04-08-2008, 05:59 PM
Throw some picnics or butts in with the pig. I'm planning on building a grill rack and rotisserie on mine. No sense letting all those coals go waste!

River City Smokehouse
04-08-2008, 07:14 PM
According to this chart, a 100 lb. hog will yield about 40 lbs. of chopped meat. Whole Hog Chart (http://www.cannulismeats.com/html/how_to_roast_a_whole_hog.html) (see Chart 2 at the bottom)