PDA

View Full Version : Trailer advice

Jack2u2
04-07-2008, 10:09 PM
I have a Backwoods smoker and a WSM that I want to use at comps. I only intend to do a few every year - not hardcore. I want to get a trailer to hold both cookers and accessories. The BWS would probably have to be mounted permanent. I don't want a big trailer, because it'll have to go in the yard for use. Any ideas on how I could mount the BWS? How about transporting the WSM? I'm thinking maybe a 4x8 trailer. Any thoughts?

butts
04-07-2008, 10:50 PM
I used a 5X8 when I first started. I'd go a little bigger if you can maybe 6X10, more space is always welcomed.

KC_Bobby
04-07-2008, 11:30 PM
Are you concerned about mounting for transportation or do you want it hard mounted to the trailer?

If you thinking about mounting just for transportation, about any trailer will do - mesh floor, wood floor, steel floor - lay it down and give it a good strap. Or vertically, just add a wooden bottom like the picture below, then brace it to the trailer with bolts (maybe add 2x4's under the deck depending on the floor). Add one ratchet strap and it will stay verticle.

RixCue
04-08-2008, 12:14 AM
You have many things to consider. Do you want an open or closed trailer. I started with a 6x10 open. Welded up an overhead to attach a tarp to keep dry when cooking. Things are not secure, things can walk off. If you take a long trip, will your stuff be safe?

Now I am using a 6x12 closed trailer with a 6’9” inside height. I am 6’4” and don’t like bumping my head so that’s why I went so tall on the trailer. It makes a fantastic prep room and a nice secure place to take a nap at a cook off. On a road trip I don’t worry about my stuff walking off and it is out of the weather. I find that you gain a sense of confidence when you stock the trailer with the things you need and KNOW WHERE THEY ARE. Make a list , stock the trailer , do a practice cook at home , and you can ONLY use what you packed. This is a good training method. And , you need to think about what you will be pulling it with .

I am cooking on 3 WSM’s and a Backwoods Competitor. I have on long trips placed the WSM’s in a plastic 55 gal drums to protect them from knock around , works fine.. The BWS gets two straps over the top hooked to the flower and two across the front ,top and bottom hooked to the walls. The BWS is on wheels. I use ramps to aid in the unloading of the heavy stuff as I have the swing doors . I sometimes wish I went with the ramp door as you can with the use of jack stands and use the door as a cooking area.

I hope this was of some help.

Rick