PDA

View Full Version : egg vs. wsm

rookiedad
04-07-2008, 05:05 PM
can some eggologists sound off on the virtues of the egg especially pertaining to long burns. do you use anything like the Minion method and does it lock in for set it and forget it smoking or must it be attended to. i saw a demo where an egg reached 700* or something like that in sixty seconds. are temp spikes a hassle during long cooks. i find that the wsm does not cook to my liking in the cold weather. i guess eggs are better for winter. what say you all? thanks.

phil

thillin
04-07-2008, 06:54 PM
I can get 20+ hrs on a load of lump. No Minion method in the eggs. Every 5 hrs or so, use a wiggle rod through the intake to knock the ash out. Other than that, set it and forget it. i know Rick gets lots of snow, but it doesn't slow down his eggs.

Rick's Tropical Delight
04-07-2008, 07:35 PM
the egg is a superior product as are any of the ceramics. the ceramic mass retains heat which allows burning less fuel to maintain temperature, which in turn means less hot, meat-drying gasses flowing over your meat.

you do have to build a fire correctly with larger lump pieces on the bottom and no small, airflow-choking pieces, but other than that, the egg will cruise at the set and stabilized temp for hours and hours and hours. add a guru or stoker and go to work or sleep and don't worry about it.

let the flaming begin! :biggrin:

tjv
04-07-2008, 08:32 PM
What Rick and thillin said on the merits of the egg. Only thing, 700 in 60 ain't happening. There is a difference in heating the egg and heating the air in the egg. Always best to let the lump burn in, 30-60 minutes for clean smoke to begin cooking. T

eagle697
04-07-2008, 08:40 PM
I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but have what may be a dumb question, how do you guys lite your lump when using eggs? i am contemplating a BGE or WSM and was wondering about that.

jiarby
04-07-2008, 08:45 PM
propane weed torch

thillin
04-07-2008, 08:52 PM
I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but have what may be a dumb question, how do you guys lite your lump when using eggs? i am contemplating a BGE or WSM and was wondering about that.

Weed torch, Weber starter cubes or a Weber chimney. Some use the electric starter, BGE starter cubes or MAPP torches. I usually put 2 Weber cubes and somewhat push them into the lump and light.

Cre-B-Ce
04-07-2008, 08:56 PM
I've used my egg 3 times since Friday. Once was a burn on Saturday to get the feel. I ran it empty. It held a perfect 225 for 6 hours with no problems. Would have run longer, but I shut it down. Sunday I smoked a ham for almost 6 hours again with no problems. Tonight I grilled up some salmon with blackening season on them. They turned out delicious. The egg is very versatile. I think I will be very happy.

Tonight I used the starters that came with the egg. I was surprised, but they worked pretty darn good.

Rick's Tropical Delight
04-07-2008, 09:03 PM

i've used three methods to light eggs...
- propane weed burner
- napkin & cooking oil
- starter cubes

those are in order of my preference. be careful with the starter cubes, because when you close the dome, the cube will just smolder and impart a chemical taste if it isn't completely burrned out when you put on the food.

the napkin & oil trick can be used in a pinch. take a large napkin and tear it in half. twist to form two "napkin matches". drizzle with cooking oil (canola). bury in the lump in a vertical position. light.

rookiedad
04-07-2008, 09:24 PM

no hijack! i wanted this info too! i would like to get upwards of fifteen hours on the same fuel load. is this possible with the egg. has anyone ever used a used lit and unlit coals to extend the time? also a local dealer told me you don't really need the long burn times because the eggs shorten the cooking time of thee larger cuts considerably... "butts and briskets in four hours", he said! is it so?

MilitantSquatter
04-07-2008, 09:28 PM
no hijack! i wanted this info too! i would like to get upwards of fifteen hours on the same fuel load. is this possible with the egg. has anyone ever used a used lit and unlit coals to extend the time? also a local dealer told me you don't really need the long burn times because the eggs shorten the cooking time of thee larger cuts considerably... "butts and briskets in four hours", he said! is it so?

Still not sure what cut of meat would require 15+ hrs that can fit on an Egg but I've seen some Egg owners here post burn times in excess of 20 hrs on one load.

Butt/Brisket in 3-4 hrs is a result of a higher cooking temp and/or possibly a less than avg size cut of meat.

Rick's Tropical Delight
04-07-2008, 09:33 PM

24 hours at 250 is possible in a large egg with one load of lump charcoal.

4 hours for butts and brisket? is there another dealer near you? if you want it quick i reckon you could go to the local bbq restaurant too. did he tell you that?

JD McGee
04-07-2008, 09:46 PM

I think your dealer is full of carp...low-n-slow is low-n-slow regardless of the smoker. The BGE is able to do 15 hours on a single load of lump and then some. I'd hate to taste the brisket or butt that was done in 4 hours. He could be talking about a small flat 4 lb or less...but even then that's pushing it. You can always add unlit fuel to the egg if needed...just get one of Thirdeye's grate lifters (you're welcome Wayne :wink:) and dump it in.

rookiedad
04-07-2008, 09:59 PM
I think your dealer is full of carp...low-n-slow is low-n-slow regardless of the smoker. The BGE is able to do 15 hours on a single load of lump and then some. I'd hate to taste the brisket or butt that was done in 4 hours. He could be talking about a small flat 4 lb or less...but even then that's pushing it. You can always add unlit fuel to the egg if needed...just get one of Thirdeye's grate lifters (you're welcome Wayne :wink:) and dump it in.

i think he was just telling me that because that is probably a selling point for the average consumer and he thought that is what i wanted to hear.

swamprb
04-07-2008, 10:12 PM
I want to say something smarta$$ like going on the TVWB and egghead forums and asking this question, but you've come to the right place. (even though we all know you have to be a yuppie to own a BGE!)
I use the weed torch to light my Egg, Imperial Kamado, WSM's and UDS's. You will be amazed at how little lump you use in the BGE.

Ron_L
04-07-2008, 10:42 PM
I don't know if there is much I can add. The gang has done a great job! Cold weather cooking is great with the Egg. Once all that ceramic gets up to temp it will hold for a very long time.

Plus, it is versatile. Besides low and slow it is also a great grill and a clay oven.

CaptGrumpy
04-07-2008, 11:09 PM
Just had beercan chicken off my egg. I use a propanr torch for about 3 minutes burying the nozzle in my lump and then take it out and open the lower draft and open the chimney. It will get to 700 degrees easily in a metter of minutes and be ready for 350 chicken as fast as a kitchen oven if not faster.
Then there re the pizzas that are to die for!!!

Rick's Tropical Delight
04-07-2008, 11:13 PM
I want to say something smarta$$ like going on the TVWB and egghead forums and asking this question, but you've come to the right place. (even though we all know you have to be a yuppie to own a BGE!)
I use the weed torch to light my Egg, Imperial Kamado, WSM's and UDS's. You will be amazed at how little lump you use in the BGE.

i ain't no yuppie, ya scallywag! i'm a orpie (old rural professional!) :biggrin:

swamprb
04-08-2008, 12:04 AM
DieYuppieScum

thirdeye
04-08-2008, 08:17 AM
can some eggologists sound off on the virtues of the egg especially pertaining to long burns. do you use anything like the Minion method and does it lock in for set it and forget it smoking or must it be attended to. i saw a demo where an egg reached 700* or something like that in sixty seconds. are temp spikes a hassle during long cooks. i find that the wsm does not cook to my liking in the cold weather. i guess eggs are better for winter. what say you all? thanks.

phil

I bought my Eggs because I live in Wyoming and need an all season cooker. The cold is one thing, but the wind can be brutal here. Once up to temp, they cook the same on the 4th of January as they do on the 4th of July.

What Rick and thillin said on the merits of the egg. Only thing, 700 in 60 ain't happening. There is a difference in heating the egg and heating the air in the egg. Always best to let the lump burn in, 30-60 minutes for clean smoke to begin cooking. T

This is some of the best, but most overlooked advice......and it applies to all ceramic cookers. Giving yourself an hour for the cooker and it's internal components time to heat up is one thing, but allowing the smoke to settle down, both from the lump and your flavor wood is the way to go.

Mostly I use a weed burner. As I mentioned above, when it's really cold, I will use an electric wand. Cubes are my last choice, but I will use them when it is really windy and don't want to chance any sparks getting out of hand.

On my cookin' site I have a video showing a weed burner in action starting a high temp "grilling" fire, but also explain how to start a lower temp fires too.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/video-page.html

Magnum
04-08-2008, 08:30 AM
I have a WSM and get good burn times with Royal Oak lump using the MM. I do believe my temps during the winter were on the low side as I was shooting for 235 F at the lid and some of my cooks took longer than expected. Oh yea, I just got my lower section seal straightened out so I am rechecking operating points but I recently got 17 hours on the WSM with a temp dip at the 3/4 point (just had to go party). As soon as I got home though, opened up the vents and got it right back up to 265 F. :-DBad timing though, appeared to be right at the butts plateau.:mad: Just got the 195 F out of the meat as the coal seemed to be running out. :eek:It was 4 am so I didn't feel like adding more. Additional bad timing. :mad:I should have foiled them and I didn't.:mad: The butts were great though. :-DIt was 20 F out. I had used a wind break earlier. I think that I will shoot for 265 F at the lid during the winter and see what happens. It obviously sheds more heat than an egg but it should be able to cook everything I need.

I took it over to my father-in-laws house on an whim last week. Probably can't do that with an egg.

I like my BA Kingsford for grilling as it isn't confining. 8)

thillin
04-08-2008, 09:57 AM
I took it over to my father-in-laws house on an whim last week. Probably can't do that with an egg.

Eggs are mobile. It just takes 2 people.

J Appledog
04-08-2008, 10:56 AM
Here in Michigan I use our eggs all winter, no matter how cold. I bought a new electric starter this year - I don't know where they "disappear" to. When it's really nasty I put it in the egg, add the charcoal and plug 'er in. Beauty.... When (or should I say "if") it warms up I'll start using the chimney again.

Divemaster
04-08-2008, 02:37 PM
Like others have said, I can't cook butts or briskets in 4 hours so pass on the secret...

As for burn time, I did 29 hours on a single load... did a 11# chuck, two batches of chile, and then ribs without having to add any lunp... Oh, BTW, the outside temp was between 15 and 20* and she held 225 the whole time!

Here in Michigan I use our eggs all winter, no matter how cold. I bought a new electric starter this year - I don't know where they "disappear" to. When it's really nasty I put it in the egg, add the charcoal and plug 'er in. Beauty.... When (or should I say "if") it warms up I'll start using the chimney again.
I use a weber chimney and that's it but have tried and liked the oil/paper towel method...

BobBrisket
04-08-2008, 02:43 PM
I love my WSM. I don't have an egg, but I'm looking for one. I've gotten 15+ hour burns on one load as well, and once I start it up, I don't need to muck with it again. Winter smokes are just a good. Course we have very mild winters compared to what a lot of you all get. From the looks of what all the eggers on board cook up on them...........I'd say they are nice cookers and wouldn't mind having one myself.

thillin
04-08-2008, 06:05 PM
I'm going on 18 hour burn that I started last night. Couple of butts, couple of fatties and some ABTs. I slept 7 hours and ran quite a few errands.

Rick's Tropical Delight
04-08-2008, 06:56 PM

i take my medium egg and large egg in my tahoe anytime i want. can't carry the large very far, but i can lift it by myself from the nest and onto the tailgate of the tahoe into the transporter if i take out the firering and firebox. the medium goes with me to four nascar races a year in the back of the rv.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/RicksTropicalDelight/biggreenegg/egginrv.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/RicksTropicalDelight/biggreenegg/vinnysprimerib-053.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/RicksTropicalDelight/biggreenegg/marioarrives-005.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/RicksTropicalDelight/biggreenegg/vinnysprimerib-051.jpg

never say never

thillin
04-08-2008, 10:18 PM
I shut the egg down after about 21 hours at smoking temp. Still have lump in the firebox. The last 4 hours or so, I was running it about 350*.

White Dog BBQ
04-08-2008, 11:23 PM
I move my Egg by myself all the time. I just take the lid off, and lifting the base becomes 100 times easier (both due to the reduced weight and the fact it's then easier to get a good hold of it.

On Egg v. WSM -- really can't compare, since one is a specialized smoker, while the other does everything. If all I wanted to do was low and slow, I'd get a WSM and spend the money I saved on a Guru, toys and beer. If I want something that will do everything, I'd get an Egg. Both are top-notch cookers.

Bottles 'n Bones BBQ
04-09-2008, 10:24 AM
For long burns in the BGE, I build the lump like Rick suggested. Truth be told...if both the WSM and BGE happen to be on the backporch at the same time; it's the BGE for long cooks that start in the AM, the WSM for long cooks that go overnight.

I haven't done enough long cooks on the BGE to be comfortable with it overnight. Once I do, I'll pick the BGE over the WSM every time.

I'll still be keeping the WSM though...:wink:

JD McGee
04-09-2008, 11:32 AM

Yuppie...!

Magnum
04-09-2008, 01:10 PM
i take my medium egg and large egg in my tahoe anytime i want. can't carry the large very far, but i can lift it by myself from the nest and onto the tailgate of the tahoe into the transporter if i take out the firering and firebox. the medium goes with me to four nascar races a year in the back of the rv.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/RicksTropicalDelight/biggreenegg/egginrv.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/RicksTropicalDelight/biggreenegg/vinnysprimerib-053.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/RicksTropicalDelight/biggreenegg/marioarrives-005.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/RicksTropicalDelight/biggreenegg/vinnysprimerib-051.jpg

never say never
Who said never?
I think that you would be better off with something along these line though:
http://www.avatarimage.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10447/Eggcar.jpg (http://www.avatarimage.net)

Sawdustguy
04-09-2008, 07:54 PM
i think he was just telling me that because that is probably a selling point for the average consumer and he thought that is what i wanted to hear.

What dealer are you talking to? Eggs purchased over the internet are not warrantied. I bought my XL Egg from Vitale Gas on Lakeland Avenue in Bohemia. They are just south of Vets Highway.

MilitantSquatter
04-09-2008, 08:14 PM
What dealer are you talking to? Eggs purchased over the internet are not warrantied. I bought my XL Egg from Vitale Gas on Lakeland Avenue in Bohemia. They are just south of Vets Highway.

Guy - I know you're right about regarding the warranties.

A bit off topic but curious if anyone knows this... How would BGE corporate know what method of purchase (in-store vs. online) was made if the person doing the selling was an authorized BGE dealer with a store who also had a website or via e-bay etc. My guess is that only an authorized BGE dealer would get a discount that would allow them enough room to re-sell at a profit online.

What proof is needed when making a claim as to what means you bought it ?

thillin
04-09-2008, 08:43 PM

From what I understand, a receipt. And fill out the registration card when you get it.

White Dog BBQ
04-10-2008, 08:22 PM
My understanding is that if you are an authorized dealer and BGE catches you selling online, you lose your authorized status. So if you buy it online, odds are the dealer isn't authorized (and thus no warranty), or he won't be much longer.

A bit off topic but curious if anyone knows this... How would BGE corporate know what method of purchase (in-store vs. online) was made if the person doing the selling was an authorized BGE dealer with a store who also had a website or via e-bay etc. My guess is that only an authorized BGE dealer would get a discount that would allow them enough room to re-sell at a profit online.

Rick's Tropical Delight
04-10-2008, 09:01 PM

wellllllllll... i can tell you that when i went to the 10th annual eggtoberfest in atlanta this past october, i told them i had a cracked firebox in my medium and they handed me a brand new firebox, no questions, no receipt, no nuthin. i've bought all three of my eggs from authorized dealers and i'm pretty well known by the people that work at the mothership because of the photos i post on the big green egg forum so maybe that was it... or maybe they just are that kind of company. if someone really wanted to try and lie, cheat, and steal and try to get a warranty item for free when they bought their egg off the internet from an unauthorized dealer... i guess they could try it by going to an authorized local dealer or by contacting the mothership directly and MAYBE it would work, but karma is a strange thing and i'd guess it would bite them in the end.

MilitantSquatter
04-10-2008, 09:17 PM
Rick - I think you're photos earned you a free replacement. Hell, they should have given you a fleet of BGE's.

Kevin
04-10-2008, 09:19 PM
wellllllllll... i can tell you that when i went to the 10th annual eggtoberfest in atlanta this past october, i told them i had a cracked firebox in my medium and they handed me a brand new firebox, no questions, no receipt, no nuthin. i've bought all three of my eggs from authorized dealers and i'm pretty well known by the people that work at the mothership because of the photos i post on the big green egg forum so maybe that was it... or maybe they just are that kind of company. if someone really wanted to try and lie, cheat, and steal and try to get a warranty item for free when they bought their egg off the internet from an unauthorized dealer... i guess they could try it by going to an authorized local dealer or by contacting the mothership directly and MAYBE it would work, but karma is a strange thing and i'd guess it would bite them in the end.

Thank you for saying that Rick. I have a conscience. I hate it at times, but it has served me well.

I'm almost there. A local appliance store that I have dealt with for years is a new Egg dealer and has a demo scheduled for this Saturday. I'm thinking the weather may cause him to cancel. I'm going to go anyway. May as well break the ice. I know I'm going to have one before long. It just fits.

Jester
04-10-2008, 10:29 PM
Reading this thread worries me just a bit. I purchased my large Big Green Egg from Barbecues.com last week because they had a great promotion/coupon. My BGE is being shipped direct from the factory, so I don't clearly understand why they would not support the warranty. From what I read the issue with internet dealers was when they handled shipping. My thought is that it is being shipped factory direct.

Anybody have any experience or comments regarding this situation?

Rick's Tropical Delight
04-11-2008, 06:14 AM
Reading this thread worries me just a bit. I purchased my large Big Green Egg from Barbecues.com last week because they had a great promotion/coupon. My BGE is being shipped direct from the factory, so I don't clearly understand why they would not support the warranty. From what I read the issue with internet dealers was when they handled shipping. My thought is that it is being shipped factory direct.

Anybody have any experience or comments regarding this situation?

here is what the big green egg website states:

"There are no authorized internet retailers for Big Green Egg products. Purchasing any Big Green Egg product from an internet source will void the warranty associated with that product. To purchase a Big Green Egg please contact a dealer in your area. Use our dealer locator (http://www.biggreenegg.com/locator/) to find the authorized dealers closest to you. Many dealers offer delivery options if needed. If you do not have a dealer conveniently located, contact Big Green Egg at 770-934-5300 for more information.

Reason for this Policy:
Big Green Egg products require customized packaging and special shipping procedures. It has come to our attention that unauthorized internet resellers do not package and ship our products properly, and do not assume responsibility for damages. As a result, customers risk having purchased a product that arrives with hidden damage or missing parts. Furthermore, the claim may not be processed by the internet reseller or honored by the freight company."

i recommend calling big green egg directly and discussing the issue with them.

jason
04-11-2008, 10:51 AM
I've had my Egg for less than a month.

Are ya'll saying I should let my fire burn for about 30-60 minutes before adding meat? I usually let it burn for about 10-15 minutes until I get the temp I want before adding meat. Is this just for low and slow or is this for high/medium temp cooks too?

Thanks

thillin
04-11-2008, 11:57 AM
I've had my Egg for less than a month.

Are ya'll saying I should let my fire burn for about 30-60 minutes before adding meat? I usually let it burn for about 10-15 minutes until I get the temp I want before adding meat. Is this just for low and slow or is this for high/medium temp cooks too?

Thanks

The 30-60 minutes gives it time to get the cleanest fire and the ceramic to heat up. I shoot for around 30 min if the smoke is clean. Your dome temp gets closer to grate temp after awhile also.