PDA

View Full Version : Sand in the Water Pan.....what about....

gotwood
04-07-2008, 12:10 PM
Lots of people like using sand as a heat sink....anyone every add water too the sand??

Brauma
04-07-2008, 12:45 PM
Here we go....

I tried it once. The issue with water, whether it be solo or in sand is that it evaporates. You'll still need to add water if you want the sand to stay wet.

I think I poured a cheap beer in the sand.

bowhnter
04-07-2008, 01:05 PM
I actually just quit using anything in it, just foil the pan for easy cleanup. Still holds temps right where I want em. Careful, it does come up to temp quicker.

DawgPhan
04-07-2008, 03:53 PM
I think that if you add water to the sand and it runs out you could have an issue with getting the sand back out...I am not sure though, but it seems like if it mixed with a little water, ash, and heat it might set.

KC_Bobby
04-07-2008, 04:06 PM
If we're talking WSM's, I've used mine twice. The first time I started with water and couldn't get the temp over 175 so i dumped the water. (After the cook I learned that I should have got the cooker all the way to temp before shutting some vents - I'm acustom to BWS, so I started shutting them down earlier)

Then yesterday I just cooked a beer can chicken dry. Got it up to 275 fast and it stayed there until I shut it down.

So I see myself foiling the pan from here on out and not adding water unless something changes that I want to cook at a lower temp.

Don Marco
04-07-2008, 04:07 PM
Try to fill the pan half way with sand, top tightly with HD aluminum foil and add the water to that in the foil "pan".

Best of both worlds, you have the water, it evaporates slower and once its gone you still dont get into trouble as the sand still works as a heat sink.

DM

rookiedad
04-07-2008, 04:08 PM
if any grease gets through the foil it gets a little rough to scrape out. how about this though, is there anything that is safe to pour in the pan , like plaster or cement that would just set and become permenent, so you could just foil the whole thing. right now i just foil the pan but i did like the results using sand and would like a heat mass in the pan.

phil