PDA

View Full Version : bite through skin

eagle697
04-06-2008, 09:39 PM
I was about to give up on it but I finally got bite through skin on chicken.:-D I was smoking 2 whole chickens to pull, a pack of wings, and decided to practice some thighs as well. When we were eating i was surprised when i bit into the skin and it didn't all pull off. It wasn't crispy, but i was able to bite cleanly through it. Is the goal for it to be crispy or not? I have heard conflicting opinions on this.
All i did was inject with apple juice, vinegar and rub. Let it sit in a bag with the leftover rub for an hour or two, rubbed it and then smoked at 300 for two and a half hours in the bandera with water in the pan. Basted with sauce diluted with apple juice and a little rub mixed in with about 30 minutes left.

I didn't know if i should try to crisp it up more or not. The only times i have ever tried direct heat at the end i have split the skin. This looked good too.

Sorry no pics, didn't realize i had finally done this until we were eating.

Bbq Bubba
04-06-2008, 10:25 PM
You know how this works....... :shock::wink:

QansasjayhawQ
04-06-2008, 10:39 PM
I was about to give up on it but I finally got bite through skin on chicken.:-D I was smoking 2 whole chickens to pull, a pack of wings, and decided to practice some thighs as well. When we were eating i was surprised when i bit into the skin and it didn't all pull off. It wasn't crispy, but i was able to bite cleanly through it. Is the goal for it to be crispy or not? I have heard conflicting opinions on this.
All i did was inject with apple juice, vinegar and rub. Let it sit in a bag with the leftover rub for an hour or two, rubbed it and then smoked at 300 for two and a half hours in the bandera with water in the pan. Basted with sauce diluted with apple juice and a little rub mixed in with about 30 minutes left.

I didn't know if i should try to crisp it up more or not. The only times i have ever tried direct heat at the end i have split the skin. This looked good too.

Sorry no pics, didn't realize i had finally done this until we were eating.
That sounds delicious!

It's fun when things finally come together. It took me almost two years and about 20 racks to finally produce some ribs that were half way decent.

Way to go!

Bride of Roo(BQ'n)
04-06-2008, 10:40 PM
No Pictures....didnt happen :cool:

BBQ Grail
04-07-2008, 12:30 AM
You know how this works....... :shock::wink:

No Pictures....didnt happen :cool:

Bite through skin!

And a Yeti came to my house for dinner...

swamprb
04-07-2008, 04:48 AM
I can get bite through the skin thighs on the BGE indirect no problem. But I'm not going to be draggin' the Egg to any comps so it isn't really a big deal for me since I'm not a chicken skin eater!

I have to get off my a$$ and work on them in the drum hottub.

butts a fire
04-07-2008, 01:22 PM
For personal consumption I Like crispy skin.

For competition I strive for bite through skin more than crispy. Although I have yet to fully achieve it except on a few pieces of each batch and I can't really tell which ones they are till I take a bite. But I must be getting closer since my chicken scores seem to be improving.

DawgPhan
04-07-2008, 03:48 PM
Yeah I can generally nail it on a couple of the pieces in a batch, but I have no way of telling if I nailed all of them. I basically only cook 12 pieces of chicken for a contests and then only 9 make it to the finally bath. For FBA that leaves 1 piece of chicken to taste test out of each batch. Though my last contest resulted in my best chicken results.

backporchbbq
04-08-2008, 03:50 AM
After you guys are done smoking the chicken do you put it over the coales for about 5 mins to crisp up the skin. That is what we have done and it works great for us.