PDA

View Full Version : Big Green Egg & Ham

Cre-B-Ce
04-06-2008, 05:18 PM
Well, here is the new BGE. I am cooking up a ham for the maiden voyage. So far, so good. The egg is holding nicely at 230. I htink next time I need to mix the wood chips in with the charoal insted of puuting them on top as the DVD shows. It smoked great for the first two hours then stopped. Looks like it is burning down the midde, so as it starts to spread out, it should hit some more chips. Hopefully I'll start building a table next weekend, I'm too old for it to be that low.

http://www.hockey-love.com/images/bge3.jpg

http://www.hockey-love.com/images/bge1.jpg

http://www.hockey-love.com/images/bge2.jpg

White Dog BBQ
04-06-2008, 06:00 PM
Looks great! Until you get a table built you may want to look at getting an Egg Nest, doesn't cost too much and is nice for moving the Egg around. A friend of mine has his Egg on a stack of pavers which seems to work for him (although I'd be scared chitless that it would fall off).

Rick's Tropical Delight
04-06-2008, 06:04 PM
that looks great!

i think you are supposed to put the green feet so one is on the back to balance when the dome is opened, 12, 4, & 8 or something like that. does the vent door hit that foot in the front?

Cre-B-Ce
04-06-2008, 06:10 PM
that looks great!

i think you are supposed to put the green feet so one is on the back to balance when the dome is opened, 12, 4, & 8 or something like that. does the vent door hit that foot in the front?

No, it clears fine. I have them spaced equally with two on the back side. I moved them around a few times until it was sturdy with the lid open. I sure didn't want it flipping over backwards.:eek:

Rick's Tropical Delight
04-06-2008, 06:13 PM
No, it clears fine. I have them spaced equally with two on the back side. I moved them around a few times until it was sturdy with the lid open. I sure didn't want it flipping over backwards.:eek:

then you are fine. just checking. and bend those band bolts if they aren't already. check the calibration on the dome thermometer because they are almost always off.

welcome to eggdome :biggrin:

BBQ Grail
04-06-2008, 06:14 PM
Wow! That's some great looking ham.

Thanks!

we'll smoke u
04-06-2008, 08:19 PM
That looks great and you can make Bean soup with the bone!!!!

Jester
04-06-2008, 08:27 PM
Great job! Just makes me even more anxious to get my BGE.

tjv
04-06-2008, 08:36 PM
Congrats on the egg. Great looking ham. That's got me thinking, scallop potatoes and ham.....T

pat
04-06-2008, 08:47 PM
That ham looks killer! Nice work.

Cre-B-Ce
04-06-2008, 09:45 PM
That ham looks killer! Nice work.

After that, I don't see any reason to cook a ham any other way. It was delicious. I glazed it with a mix of brown sugar, apple juice, honey and a little mustard.

My wife will be making ham bone soup in a day or two. She makes stock from the bone then adds vegetable gumbo mix. Then she puts in diced tomatoes, speckled butter beans, corn, potatoes, elbow noodles and of course some chopped up ham....Delicious!!!

thillin
04-06-2008, 10:27 PM
Glad you first eggperience went well. Look forward to many more.

Ty

CaptGrumpy
04-07-2008, 01:08 AM
Welcome to the Egg World! That is one fine Egg and you will be much happier with it up on a table or in a nest with mates. I know because i have them both ways and can't stop using them and love them both. Fortunately I picked up both for under $600 in two seperate transactions, one medium with the table and the large with the nest and mates. I am going to put larger casters that lock on the nest but love being able to move it about so freely and easy and that is important to a guy that has had 3 back surgeries.
Enjoy the new addition and Bon Apatite!

Rick's Tropical Delight
04-07-2008, 06:23 AM
Welcome to the Egg World! That is one fine Egg and you will be much happier with it up on a table or in a nest with mates. I know because i have them both ways and can't stop using them and love them both. Fortunately I picked up both for under $600 in two seperate transactions, one medium with the table and the large with the nest and mates. I am going to put larger casters that lock on the nest but love being able to move it about so freely and easy and that is important to a guy that has had 3 back surgeries.

when you move your egg in the nest, be sure to always pull it towards you instead of pushing it. i've seen several that have pushed it and a wheel got caught and their egg fell over and broke. if you pull it towards you, you have a better chance of catching the egg before it tips over.

Cre-B-Ce
04-07-2008, 09:15 AM

I will be building a table ASAP. Hopefully I will be going to Lowe's today or tomorrow for materials. For now I have lawn chair close by. I haven't had back surgery, but I do have a bad back. Had to change careers lately because of it, but I like my new job much better.:biggrin:

Grumpy's Q
04-07-2008, 11:29 AM
Very nice...enjoy the toy!

CaptGrumpy
04-07-2008, 11:39 AM
when you move your egg in the nest, be sure to always pull it towards you instead of pushing it. i've seen several that have pushed it and a wheel got caught and their egg fell over and broke. if you pull it towards you, you have a better chance of catching the egg before it tips over.

Always by the back hinge and always towards me, especially when there is a bump or a concrete ledge around. The bigger casters also make it a less stressful move.

Double Bogey
04-07-2008, 05:26 PM
Nice looking ham. You will find the BGE soon will become your favorite cooker.
Larry