PDA

View Full Version : Wd-40

Don Marco
04-06-2008, 11:47 AM
Howdy folks...

I read somewhere a while ago that you could use WD-40 or other spray oil to keep the outside of the smoker, especially the firebox, shiny and prevent it from rusting.

Has anyone of you actually done that, does it smell and is there anything remaining after it evaporates ?

I use WD-40 a lot on other surfaces but always hesitated to use it on a grill or smokers outside. Seems to be a lot easyer than wiping down with vegetable oil though.

Thanks for your input,

DM

Jorge
04-06-2008, 11:55 AM
I wouldn't use it for that purpose. It just attracts and holds too much dust and dirt. I'd stick with a light coating of vegetable oil.

JD McGee
04-06-2008, 12:00 PM
Pam...

Don Marco
04-06-2008, 12:02 PM
Pam...

Thats unaffordable over here and theres no domestic substitute.

Vegetable Oil seems to be too thick to use in spray bottles.

DM

JD McGee
04-06-2008, 12:04 PM

DM

Try heating it up a bit then spraying...

Don Marco
04-06-2008, 12:07 PM
Try heating it up a bit then spraying...

Good idea, thanks.

DM

qman
04-06-2008, 01:39 PM

DM

Hmmmm....... Could you cut the oil with some alcohol? Seems like it would work.

BobBrisket
04-06-2008, 01:45 PM
The only thing about the D-40 is the smell. That stuff stinks for quite a while and it attracts dust and dirt like crazy. Brush the oil on with an old paintbrush. Works for me.

backyardchef
04-06-2008, 02:42 PM
Don't add the WD-40 when it is super hot, still. Add it as it is cooling down, but still warm. I haven't had a problem with it attracting too much dust, myself, but I can see it for some people....

smokestack
04-06-2008, 05:31 PM
I wouldn't use it- what if it runs inside the cooker?- I just heat up the lang and rub it down with some lard a couple times a year-makes it nice and shiny and protects the metal-don't know what you have, but here it my used lang purchased late last summer -before and after some elbow grease and a bucket of lard
http://usera.imagecave.com/smokestack/langbeforeandafter/ (http://usera.imagecave.com/smokestack/langbeforeandafter/)

CajunSmoker
04-06-2008, 07:08 PM
I don't know about using it on a smoker, but the gunsmith said not to use it on my guns because the propellant actually causes things to rust.

Kevin
04-06-2008, 07:12 PM
I don't know about using it on a smoker, but the gunsmith said not to use it on my guns because the propellant actually causes things to rust.

I don't know about the current formulation, but when I was racing go karts we used it for starting fluid. The propellant then was compressed LPG. It worked better than ether.

capri man
04-06-2008, 08:22 PM
I don't know about the current formulation, but when I was racing go karts we used it for starting fluid. The propellant then was compressed LPG. It worked better than ether.

yup, been there done that!!!:biggrin:

C Rocke
04-06-2008, 09:49 PM
Use Olive oil aerosol spray from RD and S&F.